THANK THE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

THANK THE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOORD

Post by Batman » Tue May 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Cannot WAIT for the day that this headline hungry PRICK no longer dons the black outfit

Premiership referee Graham Poll has confirmed his retirement date.

Next week's Euro 2008 qualifier between Finland and Belgium will be the last game the 43-year-old will referee.

The Tring official will perhaps be best remembered for showing Croatia's Josip Simunic three yellow cards before sending him off at the 2006 World Cup.

A statement from the Professional Game Match Officials read: "The PGMO can confirm it has received, and accepted, Graham Poll's resignation."

Poll began refereeing in the Premiership in 1995 and has also officiated at Euro 2000, the 2002 and 2006 World Cups.

He also took charge of the 2000 FA Cup final and bowed out of the English game after refereeing Monday's Championship play-off final between Derby and West Brom at Wembley

gaiser
Promising
Promising

Post by gaiser » Tue May 29, 2007 8:00 pm

:spank: to you mr. Poll

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue May 29, 2007 8:23 pm

I read somewhere he wants a career in the media. So we might hear from him sooner than you think :|
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue May 29, 2007 8:25 pm

bobby5 wrote:I read somewhere he wants a career in the media. So we might hear from him sooner than you think :|

Brilliant!! It sounds like my idea is to be commissioned by ITV...... "I'm a celebrity nice person, kick my head in!"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue May 29, 2007 10:46 pm

hopefully he'll be less tedious than jeff winters' column in whichever rag he wrote in

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue May 29, 2007 10:58 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:hopefully he'll be less tedious than jeff winters' column in whichever rag he wrote in
Winter will be worried - as a more recent (and higher-profile) arbiter, Poll could steal his thunder. Depends whether he comes out with as many fat-headed (orange-headed?) opinions...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed May 30, 2007 11:28 am

Great stuff. Just Riley, Knight, Styles, Bennett, Webb to go. Oh and Winter to have his mouth sewn up the teeside bastard.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed May 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Mr Poll was a very good ref.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:16 pm

True Nozza, despite the criticism here, over his career I think he was one of the better refs out there. Next time Phil Dowd refs a game people will realise how good Poll was :)
Last edited by bobby5 on Wed May 30, 2007 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed May 30, 2007 3:42 pm

Mark Halsey is the best ref by miles, largely because he has an uncanny talent of awarding penalties to away sides at Ewok.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed May 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:Mark Halsey is the best ref by miles, largely because he has an uncanny talent of awarding penalties to away sides at Ewok.
Aye, we school him well when he trains with us.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 31, 2007 8:03 am

Poll was the best referee that this country has produced for years - most of the rest of the current crop are pygmies by comparison. I do rate Halsey though - and Peter Walton (who lives in my village, incidentally!)
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu May 31, 2007 8:07 am

are you on drugs?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 31, 2007 8:11 am

communistworkethic wrote:are you on drugs?
A bit early for me. What do you start on in the mornings normally?
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu May 31, 2007 9:37 am

Prozac obviously.

Poll the best ref??? This is a guy whose ego is bigger than Anelka's and Bellamy's combined. The offical that couldn't keep track of his bookings on the biggest stage. The man who is now blaming everyone but himself for going early. He epitomised everything that is wrong with referees.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 31, 2007 10:36 am

Talk to referees and ask how they rate him. Not just PL referees, but others at various levels of the pyramid. I value their opinions, because they do the job. Most rate him highly.

I'm not trying to defend some of his mistakes - but we are all prone to mistakes, on occasion.
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Talk to referees and ask how they rate him. Not just PL referees, but others at various levels of the pyramid. I value their opinions, because they do the job. Most rate him highly.

I'm not trying to defend some of his mistakes - but we are all prone to mistakes, on occasion.
Present company excepted. :mrgreen:
Businesswoman of the year.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu May 31, 2007 11:41 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Talk to referees and ask how they rate him. Not just PL referees, but others at various levels of the pyramid. I value their opinions, because they do the job. Most rate him highly.

Present company excepted. :mrgreen:
Indeed! :D
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

walkingdownthemannyroad
Hopeful
Hopeful
Location: Near e'nuff to t'Ainsworth,so as not to get wet when crawlin' om.

Post by walkingdownthemannyroad » Thu May 31, 2007 5:50 pm

This thread has really made me laugh,all you experts out there who know every single rule...........

Has any of you ever tried refereeing a football match?? I have,in the Bolton Sunday League,when the guy who was supposed to do it did not turn up.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done, (well, apart from trying to chew a steak in "Cotton Kier").

Just keeping up with play was a major feat,and this was with 22 half pissed cloggers,not super fit athletes, who can ping the ball from one end to the other in seconds, AND who have perfected cheating to an art form.

Like everybody else,I have screamed abuse at refs and linesmen, week in, week out, but we must always remember that these guys make honest mistakes, just like the rest of us..........................

APART FROM YOU RILEY YOU C**T !!!!!!!!!! :whack: AND AS FOR YOU KNIGHT,YOU UTTER T**T :hang:
A wise old owl,lived in an oak.
The more he saw,the less he spoke.
The less he spoke,the more heard.
I wish I was that wise old bird.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 pm

I've done it in the past.

Piece of piss, just stand in the middle of the field, book the same bloke 3 times and get paid 40k a year