Who the feck is Anderson???

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:43 pm

communistworkethic wrote:They haven't overestimated the income at all, and winning the title this season, plus a cup final,will have only cemented their view on the risk/reward profile mapped against asset strength.
Then explain why the Glazer's are apparently willing to listen to offers for the club as their profits have dropped in the past two years? Why else would their ticket prices have increased?

I haven't got the figures to hand, but I know a couple of lads involved in the LUHG movement who have been encouraged by the recent financial news.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Quayley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Quayley » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:02 pm

Right, i love FM as much as the next guy, but you cant judge a player based on his stats within a game, thats ridiculous. You have to watch him IN REAL LIFE, and from what ive seen of the two they seem to be pretty good. Nani's rather similar to Ronaldo in the aspects of his game, but he seems to lack the pace that Cristiano has.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:28 pm

FM is a good indicator of a player but doesn't tell the whole story. I met a guy that did the rating of Leicester City players and he was a season ticket holder there so the ratings of each player must be fairly accurate relative to each team.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:33 pm

Hight, weight, date of birth, etc yes.

But to use it as an indicator of ability would be folly.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I met a guy that did the rating of Leicester City players and he was a season ticket holder.
Doesn't that just lead to bias? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:I met a guy that did the rating of Leicester City players and he was a season ticket holder.
Doesn't that just lead to bias? :conf:
Yes it would in that instance but they'd be relatively accurate for the players at that club. If you or I did one for Bolton, we'd get our players spot on relative to each other, so if this bias is the same across the board then it *should* be a decent indicator of a player's attribute. Bear in mind that they have a few "raters" at each club. It's fairly hard to argue against the speed attribute on FM, as that is plainly clear and in general the good players on FM are good in real life.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:30 am

They employ 200 scouts but it's a bit like Wikipedia in that players contribute updates all the time.

The English stuff is fairly accurate cause it's based there an everyone sees lots of games. The foreign stuff less so and off the beaten track it gets worse but as in this case none of you live in Portugal and FM's scout does and they're high profile player there so it's likely to be more accurate. I assume they get multiple reports and average them out.

It's like ringing up a bloke you know in another country and asking him who's a top player. Like the Iranian info we get from our two guys there.

You can tell in the editor who they know well and who they don't cause some of the stats are random and no special attributes are selected.
What could've happened; did.

Pete
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Pete » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Mullayo, or whoever, why don't you make a thread with all of the FM evaluations of the signings we make now, before we've seen them. Then at some point during the season, we can have a look back at it and see how realistic the assessments were. Then the FM stuff could be kept out of the main transfer thread, for those who don't like it. And you could prove FM correct later on, if it is.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Pete wrote:Mullayo, or whoever, why don't you make a thread with all of the FM evaluations of the signings we make now, before we've seen them. Then at some point during the season, we can have a look back at it and see how realistic the assessments were. Then the FM stuff could be kept out of the main transfer thread, for those who don't like it. And you could prove FM correct later on, if it is.
That, my man, is a simple yet superb suggestion. Bravo. Should be interesting for all. :pray:
May the bridges I burn light your way

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:34 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:They haven't overestimated the income at all, and winning the title this season, plus a cup final,will have only cemented their view on the risk/reward profile mapped against asset strength.
Then explain why the Glazer's are apparently willing to listen to offers for the club as their profits have dropped in the past two years? Why else would their ticket prices have increased?

I haven't got the figures to hand, but I know a couple of lads involved in the LUHG movement who have been encouraged by the recent financial news.
they always knew prices would go up, man u being compartively under priced, and the drop in profit us due in part to investing in the stadium expansion.

as for luhg, personally i think they're all backwards pricks. Man u was a plc, and as such was there to be bought at any time. Glaser owning them has really been terrible for the club hasn't it? Champions, and a cup final this season, money to spend on players, increased capacity at the ground. Oooh terrible. :roll:

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by mullayo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:47 am

Okay lads I will. Call it FM 2008 and put it in this forum. Maybe do a couple of the other big foreign signings.

Start with JLloyd when I get home on my laptop. Should be a bit of fun to fill those dreary days when some othe club who finished below us signs someone we've been chasing.
What could've happened; did.