Barton to Newcastle

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Barton to Newcastle

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:08 pm

As soon as Parker fecks off to Spam.

On SSN now.

Good signing, deffo a better option than Parker.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:26 pm

Watch the Geordie's revolt if it doesn't go right- especially if he signs Diouf.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Barton to Newcastle

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Batman wrote:As soon as Parker fecks off to Spam.

On SSN now.

Good signing, deffo a better option than Parker.
In my considered opinion, Batman, bollocks! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:18 pm

Got to agree with Batty, Barton is a class act on the pitch. He was head and shoulders above everyone else including our lot at COMS when we beat them 2-0. Emre and Barton in midfield.....FIGHT!
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Got to agree with Batty, Barton is a class act on the pitch. He was head and shoulders above everyone else including our lot at COMS when we beat them 2-0.
That's not the point though, Doc. Being better than Kevin Nolan's one thing, but do you seriously consider Barton to be a better, more worthwhile central midfielder than Scott Parker?

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:Got to agree with Batty, Barton is a class act on the pitch. He was head and shoulders above everyone else including our lot at COMS when we beat them 2-0.
That's not the point though, Doc. Being better than Kevin Nolan's one thing, but do you seriously consider Barton to be a better, more worthwhile central midfielder than Scott Parker?
Yes, I do. In terms of passing range he certainly is. While he may not be as combative as Parker, he certainly has the ability to get stuck in and make a tackle, but he is more versatile and supports attacks much more frequently than Parker does. Not that I'm saying Parker is a bad player. I'd take him in a heartbeat purely on his footballing abilities but there is the attitude issue which is always lingering over him.

He certainly is a better midfielder imv, but like you say is he worthwhile with all his attitude problems? I believe so, if that can be kept in check then Sam has got a bargin.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yes, I do. In terms of passing range he certainly is. While he may not be as combative as Parker, he certainly has the ability to get stuck in and make a tackle, but he is more versatile and supports attacks much more frequently than Parker does. Not that I'm saying Parker is a bad player. I'd take him in a heartbeat purely on his footballing abilities but there is the attitude issue which is always lingering over him.

He certainly is a better midfielder imv, but like you say is he worthwhile with all his attitude problems? I believe so, if that can be kept in check then Sam has got a bargin.
Oh, I don't doubt for a second that Sam's got a bargain, but what I find interesting is that all the points that you make in support of Barton are the exact same points that I'd make in support of Parker :? . To each his own, I suppose, but I just think back to the Scott Parker that I saw hold the entire Charlton side together. Don't get me wrong either, I'd have Barton in our midfield in the blink of an eye, I just think that Parker's the more complete model. Hey, and a bit of ho! :D

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:58 pm

Problem is Bruce Parker isn't half the player he was at Charlton. None of that leadership or him being a driving force in the midfield.

Getting shot of him for 7-8.5 million and getting Barton in is in my opinion and quite brilliant piece of business.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 pm

Daxter wrote:Problem is Bruce Parker isn't half the player he was at Charlton. None of that leadership or him being a driving force in the midfield.

Getting shot of him for 7-8.5 million and getting Barton in is in my opinion and quite brilliant piece of business.
I understand exactly what you're saying, Daxter, but could similar not have been said about say Davies or Diouf? Good footballers just don't become badduns overnight, and although we seem to disagree here, I honestly think that a fully firing Scott Parker is better than a fully firing Joey Barton (who's a player that I also rate highly).

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Daxter wrote:Problem is Bruce Parker isn't half the player he was at Charlton. None of that leadership or him being a driving force in the midfield.

I understand exactly what you're saying, Daxter, but could similar not have been said about say Davies or Diouf? Good footballers just don't become badduns overnight, and although we seem to disagree here, I honestly think that a fully firing Scott Parker is better than a fully firing Joey Barton (who's a player that I also rate highly).
In what regard do you mean it could be said about Davies or Diouf?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:28 pm

Daxter wrote: In what regard do you mean it could be said about Davies or Diouf?
I'm hoping that you don't really need me to map it out for you, and that you're just being a bit lazy here :shock:

(Hint: Players whose careers have taken a course not benefiting them)

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:25 pm

Who the hell is Bruce Parker

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:31 pm

:lol:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Batman wrote:Who the hell is Bruce Parker
Something his mum still coats in his coats! :wink:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:28 pm

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... gpies+move

Lee Bowyer, sorry I mean Joey Barton has agreed a 5 year deal to join Newcastle.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:05 am

I don't think this is going to pay off. For one, there is the chance of further fallout from the Dabo move. But I forsee problems throwing Barton into an uncertain, underacheiving Newcastle side with impatient fans and a number of unstable or unhappy players - Emre, Duff, Butt, Dyer, Luque, and probably Owen. Anyone else see a repeat of the Bowyer/Dyer incident in the future? Maybe I'm tooting our horn but I think he'd be better off at a club like Bolton which has a welcoming team ethic and has continually acheived success beyond our means. Oh, and we seem to love misfits.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:18 am

I'd quite enjoy it if he battered Dyer.

In seriousness it's not a terrible piece of business from Allardyce.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:16 am

Athers wrote:I'd quite enjoy it if he battered Dyer.

In seriousness it's not a terrible piece of business from Allardyce.
Agreed, unless he goes to jail. Imagine Allardyce makes Barton an integral part of his plans, only to see him locked up on September 1.

Oh wait, that was a dream I had last night.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Odds on Barton smacking Big Sam on the training ground?
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:54 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:Odds on Barton smacking Big Sam on the training ground?
I don't think even Barton is that stupid but here's hoping.