8th June, 1990

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:56 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Daxter wrote:
americantrotter wrote:I'll always remember that world cup. It was the 1st time I was old enough to care that England broke my heart. (I was only 9 in 86, and the games were only on here in spanish, felt a little disconnected) The other reason was it was the 1st time I got to 2nd base. (That would be touching a woman's (or other teenager in this case) breast, in american slang)
You did that when you were 9!?
13. He means the 1990 world cup, not the '86. :D
Oh right.
:)

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:11 pm

You lot have lowered the tone on what was a quality post.

Hmmmm, back on to subject of memorable dates, it is a year ago today exactly thet Germany beat Costa Rica 4-2 to open the 2006 world cup. Oh man, wish I could go back a year, I loved it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Mich Caine wrote: it is a year ago today exactly thet Germany beat Costa Rica 4-2 to open the 2006 world cup. Oh man, wish I could go back a year, I loved it.
Is it really? I was in the main square in Frankfurt watching it, and having it voluminous! :drink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:44 pm

i was 7 when that world cup was on. my first tournament i was aware of i suppose. loved it. I had the sticker book and me fave section in that was greatest world cup goals. makes the BBC diagrams look good.

used to run home from school to catch the afternoon game. after world cup someone did boot leg t-shirts of gazza crying with gazza 19 on the back. of which i was a proud owner

am i making anyone feel old?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:53 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:i was 7 when that world cup was on.
We're not on about West Germany 74!!!! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:i was 7 when that world cup was on.
We're not on about West Germany 74!!!! :?
what can i say?

it was ace to watch as a kid and not give a shit about whether robson should have been manager and injury crisis etc. you don't give a shit when you're a kid, you just love football and you love England. used to love watching saints and greavsie and they did a live link up to the hotel and gazza would do somert funny like stick his tongue out... great days

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Still can't believe its 17 years ago...
Businesswoman of the year.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:42 pm

I was 19 and in Kos, Greece for the finals along with four of my friends (two of which were bed at 2300 hrs pussy boys! :roll: )

But this night we were all in a small cafe on the main street across the road from a huge hotel that housed over 200 boxheads. Me and my friend Darren Pollock (name and shame :D ) were both dressed up in England kit. I do believe we were the only four Englishmen on the island that week (off season).

Anywooo we were watching the game on a small portable TV that the cafe owner had brought out for us special, while the sun lounger thieves were watching on the big screen across at their hotel, over 200 of the buggers!

Naturally the two of us were screaming over at them before a ball had been kicked (and to be honest, we were holding our own!) Though this may have been down to all of them sitting with thier wives, who sprung a high pitched wibble of German at them whenever they stood up (normally followed by wiping there unshaven armpits with a cloth due to the heat)

Germany scored, and we recieved a horde of abuse from the Germans over the road, some of which dived into the hotel pool to celebrate.

From then on, things started to get thrown over to our cafe seats (including an almost full packet of Camel cigerettes! :conf: Ich danke ihnen

Then, when all seamed lost..........Linekerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Well, me and my mate Darren just lost our fxcking minds! After taking all that abuse from them and their hairy woman, we was over there, holding our flags aloft "ENGLAAAAAAAND ENGLAAND ENGLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!"

I didn't know what the fxck they were saying! But they didn't look best pleased :D

Long story sortened, it came to penalties and we sat. just the two of us, after the 'ok mummy, we'll be good' boys' had gone off to a less noisy place, we were on the table, flags around our shoulders watching Waddle step up.

*Gulp, dry throat, drops to knees*

A huge roar comes from across the street! So, the two of us just put our heads down and slowly walk back to our studio appartement yes?

feck NO!!!

What always comes as a crazy dxckhead thing to do now, came to us so easily on the night. We ran over and stood on the small wall at the entrance to thier hotel and started screaming "ENGLAAAND ENGLAND ENGLAAAAAAAAAAAAND" (we were pissed and pissed off, we didn't give a shit! :oops: )

I shit you not!! This reeeeally did not impress them!! They came bounding over and started yapping all kinds of boxhead jabber at us.

We knew what they wanted and by this time we were pretty much surrounded, so fxck it! Fully dressed we jump into their pool! (watch ruined!! :roll: )

It was Greece, but the water was ice cold, like jumping into a lake! Yet in unison as we hit the surface, pissed out of our trees, freezing cold, in the middle of a Greek Island, in a swimming pool surrounded by Germans, me and Darren broke the surface of the water screaming "ENGLAAAND ENGLAND ENGLAAAAAAAAAAAAND"

The fxcking Germans loved it! Not only did they help us out of the pool, but they payed for our drinks until the dawn broke! :D

That will always be the night I will consider as, 'The night Chris Waddle saved our lives' :oops:

Thick young tits!

How was I to know that four months on I would join the Army, pass through training and spend the nest five years, were? Aye fxcking Germany :D

I'll never forget that game as long as I live!!!!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:06 pm

1st base-French kissing

2nd base- Touching the breast

3rd Base- ummm well it's the otehr area left to fondle.

Home Run- Sex

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:48 pm

Puskas: as you may now have surmised, AT's slang is baseball-derived...

Bruce: I was in Frankfurt, too - in fact this time last year we were driving back from there in Union Jack-emblazoned Minis...

HRG: I recall the childlike unworried excitement you mention about England - as you say you don't care about injuries and tactics, it's Us vs Them... a great father-son bonding experience... I remember my mate being shocked how much me and my dad got into it...

Sotwa: I was in Greece for Italia 90, too... arrived on the day of the Germany-England semi... in rooms next door to a 100%-German 300-bed hotel... at least they (mostly) stayed there...

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mich Caine wrote: it is a year ago today exactly thet Germany beat Costa Rica 4-2 to open the 2006 world cup. Oh man, wish I could go back a year, I loved it.
Is it really? I was in the main square in Frankfurt watching it, and having it voluminous! :drink:
Did you like Frankfurt? Did you go to any of the live matches, I know Frankfurt hosted a few games - including Mexico v Iran - in which Andranik played. Funnily enough its a year ago today (June 11th) that game was played. The other matches that day were Serbia 0-1 Holland and Portugal 1-0 Angola.

I have been to Frankfurt, it was a bit of a concrete city, but I guess during the world cup the atmosphere must have been amazing!

As for one more interesting fact on June 11th - Back in World cup Italia 90, on this day Scotland lost to Costa Rica 1-0 :lol:

The world cup wouldn't be the same if it was on every year, but I just cannot wait for the next one!