The lowest FA Cup final attendance

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

The lowest FA Cup final attendance

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:22 pm

Did you know this was at Burnden Park in 1901 when Spurs beat Sheffield United? I suppose you did but I didn't, nor did I know it was a source of free pies to this very day.
Within six years, it was to stage a historic FA Cup final replay, when Tottenham Hotspur overcame Sheffield United 3-1. The match holds the record for the lowest attendance at an FA Cup final (surprising after the first match attracted 110,000 at Crystal Palace). The day that the match was held became known as "Pie Saturday", stemming from the over-estimation by the caterers at the club of the number of meat pies required , leaving them with many surplus, which had to be handed out free after the match. To this day, Tottenham Hotspur still send a case-load of meat pies to the poor and needy in the town to celebrate the great day in their history.
Now I know that Nolan was pretty poor this last year, but was he needy? Could this be the missing link to our problems?

Attendance, by the way, was 20,470.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Wasn't there a lack of trains, or somesuch? Worth remembering that Spurs weren't a League side at the time and frankly nobody's ever liked Sheffield United...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Wasn't there a lack of trains, or somesuch? Worth remembering that Spurs weren't a League side at the time and frankly nobody's ever liked Sheffield United...
Perhaps! It was supposed to be at Goodison Park, but the scousers whined that it would cut into their attendance since they were at home that day. So Everton quickly arranged a friendly and the venue was switched to Burnden at the last moment. Oddly, the Toffees friendly against some Scottish team outdrew the Anfield crowd.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:21 am

To this day, Tottenham Hotspur still send a case-load of meat pies to the poor and needy in the town to celebrate the great day in their history.
Yeah ??? What "town" will that be then ??
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:14 am

bobo the clown wrote:
To this day, Tottenham Hotspur still send a case-load of meat pies to the poor and needy in the town to celebrate the great day in their history.
Bolton, if the question was serious.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:18 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bolton, if the question was serious.
Just that's it's not going to be the "town" of Tottenham, is it ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Wasn't there a lack of trains, or somesuch? Worth remembering that Spurs weren't a League side at the time and frankly nobody's ever liked Sheffield United...
Yes, the railway company refused to lay on special trains from London so not many Hotpants fans made the trip, apparently.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:54 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Yes, the railway company refused to lay on special trains from London so not many Hotpants fans made the trip, apparently.
Some things never change.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight