Clubs with far too much money.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Clubs with far too much money.

Post by Verbal » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:49 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 751387.stm
West Ham United and Spurs are at the centre of a battle to sign Charlton's £17m-rated striker Darren Bent.
The Hammers are reported to be close to clinching a deal for the 23-year-old England star after offering him a five-year deal worth £75,000-a-week.
17 mil? 75k a week? Darren Bent?

:crazy:

then again, i guess figures like this will become less relevant and striking when the new tv deal comes into force. Ah, that's still shocking though.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:50 pm

Defoe will be leaving then.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:53 pm

just realised this thread is in the wrong forum. Whoops, sorry.

Tottenham have a formidable front line already, West Ham are just using their nest-egg (hehe...sorry again), but still for Darren Bent? AJ was less than £10 mil last year and I'd say he's on a par if not better than Bent.
Last edited by Verbal on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Verbal wrote:just realised this thread is in the wrong forum. Whoops, sorry.
It's the right forum, don't worry. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:07 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Verbal wrote:just realised this thread is in the wrong forum. Whoops, sorry.
It's the right forum, don't worry. :D

Aaaaah see, see what I did there! Ya didn't even notice did you? :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Clubs with far too much money.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:05 pm

Verbal wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 751387.stm
West Ham United and Spurs are at the centre of a battle to sign Charlton's £17m-rated striker Darren Bent.
The Hammers are reported to be close to clinching a deal for the 23-year-old England star after offering him a five-year deal worth £75,000-a-week.

then again, i guess figures like this will become less relevant and striking when the new tv deal comes into force. Ah, that's still shocking though.
West Ham have been inflating the market since January, which is when Chelsea stopped. These are the c*nts who paid Lucas Neill - an average RIGHT-BACK - what I thought was £65k per week but I saw in a broadsheet today is £72k. I'd say £75k for a goalscorer is a comparative bargain.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Clubs with far too much money.

Post by Verbal » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:14 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Verbal wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 751387.stm

West Ham have been inflating the market since January, which is when Chelsea stopped. These are the c*nts who paid Lucas Neill - an average RIGHT-BACK - what I thought was £65k per week but I saw in a broadsheet today is £72k. I'd say £75k for a goalscorer is a comparative bargain.
:shock: *picks up jaw from floor*

:whack: :evil: f*cking hell! Lucas Neill must have been crying with happiness inside when he got that.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:54 pm

After being oh so close to the financial breakdown that might have brought Premiership football a little nearer to reality, normality is resumed.

Reckon Bent is hugely over-rated, so god knows how much it will cost for a player of genuine, proven quality.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:25 pm

Darren Bent has scored around 20 goals a season for the last 5 seasons now. He's still young, he's quick, good in the air, a good finisher, and has no Owen-esque history of injuries. I was very disappointed when we weren't able to take a punt on buying him from Ipswich and he's done a great job since.

I'm not sure he's overrated and as weird as it sounds, he probably is worth upwards of £14/15million in today's market.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families