Beckham's last game for Real, will he finally win a trophy?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:39 pm

americantrotter wrote:I for one am glad for Beckham. He always gets unwarranted amounts of stick.
Couldn't agree more, fella. Yet when you ask the Beckham abusers who they'd play in his place they're either stuck for an answer or come up with the latest flash in the pan like that Lennon boy at Spuds. Come to think of it, much like Steve McClaren! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:20 pm

Beckham symbolises a lot of what is wrong with our game as far as I'm concerned with the ridiculous fortune for relatively little success etc, just hope his American adventure falls flat on it's arse now.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Village Idiot
Promising
Promising

Post by Village Idiot » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:05 pm

I have tried very hard to ignore this thread...

We brought it over ourselves anyway.

And I too believe that Becks picks up and undeserved amount of slack. If you remove all the hype surrounding him, he gives it all on the field. It's just that this "all" is much less than all the media machine has lead people to believe (he still has a sick right foot though, problem is that it's the only thing he has).
Barça fan that loves a team in white :shock:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:34 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:Beckham symbolises a lot of what is wrong with our game as far as I'm concerned with the ridiculous fortune for relatively little success etc, just hope his American adventure falls flat on it's arse now.
such as?

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:03 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:Beckham symbolises a lot of what is wrong with our game as far as I'm concerned with the ridiculous fortune for relatively little success etc, just hope his American adventure falls flat on it's arse now.
such as?
The whole 'Brand Beckham' thing that is largely responsible for him going to the US, bringing football in to the 'celeb mags' and helping to take football further from it's traditional base whilst earning an obscene amount of money for relatively few trophies and a good left foot. I know it largely isn't his fault and he's just a product of the modern day marketing machine, but still, how can anyone approve of a Cockney Red?!
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:10 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:The whole 'Brand Beckham' thing that is largely responsible for him going to the US, bringing football in to the 'celeb mags' and helping to take football further from it's traditional base whilst earning an obscene amount of money for relatively few trophies!
OK, so when Billy Wright married one of The Beverley Sisters, then? On you go, Matthew.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:The whole 'Brand Beckham' thing that is largely responsible for him going to the US, bringing football in to the 'celeb mags' and helping to take football further from it's traditional base whilst earning an obscene amount of money for relatively few trophies!
OK, so when Billy Wright married one of The Beverley Sisters, then? On you go, Matthew.
I'm not sure we can really compare Joy Beverley to Posh Spice, but in their day the boys were both dominant midfielders (not that I like talking about Wolves). Of course a lot of the workforce made more than Billy, but it wouldn't be true of Becks. I think Johnny Haines became the first £100 per week footballer, back when many people earned in the £5000 p.a. range (before bloody Harold Wilson and Supertax made it all a bit pointless).
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:22 pm

Don't get me wrong, Beckham had oodles of natural talent

But, I don't think many English players have worked quite as hard to maximise it

Beckham is an example to todays Baby Bentley gang

Sadly, plenty of 'em are too thick to see it

I'm a fan, and no mistake

Could've tw*tted the bastard when he ran down the Manny Rd Stand taunting the Bolton fans as a 17 year old playing for filth reserves

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:35 pm

I've got admiration for Beckham. People take the piss about him being thick, but he has to be damn intelligent to have created the whole aura that he has about him.

That and he is a top player. I was getting sick of him as captain under Sven but it was only when he was gone that i realised how much England needed him.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Daxter wrote:I've got admiration for Beckham. People take the piss about him being thick, but he has to be damn intelligent to have created the whole aura that he has about him.

That and he is a top player. I was getting sick of him as captain under Sven but it was only when he was gone that i realised how much England needed him.
I think his wife takes care of that side of things for him.

He just stands around looking pretty.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
such as?
The whole 'Brand Beckham' thing that is largely responsible for him going to the US, bringing football in to the 'celeb mags' and helping to take football further from it's traditional base whilst earning an obscene amount of money for relatively few trophies and a good left foot. I know it largely isn't his fault and he's just a product of the modern day marketing machine, but still, how can anyone approve of a Cockney Red?!
and his ability and the fact he's worked hard have no part in that do they? Trophy count is feck all to do with it, it's a team game, they are far less capable or hardworking players who've picked up more trophies. The fact is that he's good looking and also a good player, he's marketable. But unlike a Jermaine Defoe or just about anyone of the West Ham squad he's earned the trappings of success. If anything he's almost the antithesis of the baby bentley crew.