Nugent

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Nugent

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:38 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 229832.stm

That's a lot of money for someone who has never played at the highest level, I feel.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:42 pm

I agree.

Stupid money for 8 goals a season or so.

That's the way the game is.

We know one mystery side is Sunderland-West Ham the other?

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if it was the small club from the other side of Stanley Park.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:48 pm

Tranmere?

They haven't got the money.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:50 pm

I didn't know Stanley Park was the Mersey! ;)

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:53 pm

It is for us non-Cheshire lot

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:59 pm

Scored against Andorra didn't he? That's about the same international level as Pete Crouch innit?

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:14 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:Scored against Andorra didn't he? That's about the same international level as Pete Crouch innit?
What's that got to do with anything? :?

He's never played in the Premiership is my point - it's all well and good slagging Crouch off but you can only score against what has been put in front of you.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:15 pm

The other team will be one of Wigan or Portsmouth...

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Crouch > Davies wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:Scored against Andorra didn't he? That's about the same international level as Pete Crouch innit?
you can only score against what has been put in front of you.
Just like Nugent. I think it's a fair price, considering Dean Ashton spent 5 months in the Premiership with Norwich which then lead to a £7M (ish) transfer to West Ham.

At this moment in time i'd be far happier with a £7m Nugent than an £8m Cisse. easily.

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:22 pm

I think Nugent is a good player. I just think it's a lot of money to pay for someone who doesn't score lots of goals (he has spurts then barren spells) and hasn't played at the highest level of DOMESTIC football.

However you are quite right - Ashton was much the same and he was a superb signing for Norwich. Almost single handedly kept them up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:31 pm

It's a hell of a gamble. Ashton came off (we'll see how he does this season tho after injury) but others haven't. I would rather gamble £7 mil on Nugent than 8 on Cisse but I very much doubt we will be splashing £8 mil on Cisse.

On the other hand Anelka for £8mil or Nugent for £7mil - easy choice really aint it. And how much did Liverpool play for Crouch who was a proven prem forward? £6mil? I'd rather sign him as well. Alan Smith is available for half of Nugents fee and he is a bit older but has a lot more experience...particularly at the wrong end of the table!

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:58 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:
Crouch > Davies wrote:
you can only score against what has been put in front of you.
Just like Nugent. I think it's a fair price, considering Dean Ashton spent 5 months in the Premiership with Norwich which then lead to a £7M (ish) transfer to West Ham.

At this moment in time i'd be far happier with a £7m Nugent than an £8m Cisse. easily.
Why? So we could have an unproven, over-rated striker who hasn't even been THAT prolific in the Championship instead of a guy who has actually been successful at the highest level?

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:09 pm

Batman wrote:I agree.

Yes I agree totally. I was talking to a mate this morning about Nugent and we both were saying its ridiculous money for someone who is hardly a prolific striker. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but realistically he is probably at best an 11 or 12 goals a season striker, that is a heck of a lot of money for someone like that.

I saw Nugent a few times and he is a clever player, good feet, intelligent player, but if Nugent is a player who a team will only do really well out of if he has a really top striker alongside him to make the most of his intelligence, he is not going to be effective if he is 'the main man' because he just isn't prolific enough.

I am so glad we paid £1m more and got Anelka, the guy is awesome.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Mich Caine wrote:

Yes I agree totally. I was talking to a mate this morning about Nugent and we both were saying its ridiculous money for someone who is hardly a prolific striker. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but realistically he is probably at best an 11 or 12 goals a season striker, that is a heck of a lot of money for someone like that.

Didn't Anelka only have 11 premiership goals last season? 14 including cups. £ for £ it doesn't seem a huge difference. Don't get me wrong - I like Anelka and hope we hang on to him but the price for young English talent (not to mention world class talent) has always been inflated.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

Nugent probably creates a lot of chances as well to be fair

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:

Didn't Anelka only have 11 premiership goals last season? 14 including cups. £ for £ it doesn't seem a huge difference. Don't get me wrong - I like Anelka and hope we hang on to him but the price for young English talent (not to mention world class talent) has always been inflated.
12 goals in all competitions. But that was still a remarkable achievement considering the disgraceful service he recieved.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:37 pm

Daxter wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mich Caine wrote:

12 goals in all competitions. But that was still a remarkable achievement considering the disgraceful service he recieved.
I was adding the three he scored for France to make him look better :wink:
The thing is the Nugent price doesn't seem out of line, despite being unproven. Nic was considered a risk because of temperament. I saw that SGE would make £8 million as Citeh manager - now that would be out of line!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.