Citeh Crisis: Sven Gormless wants 10 new players.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 pm

I think he will do a good job there to be honest. He has a very good record and the job he did with England was actually good when you consider how awful we are now with Mclaren.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:28 pm

Yeah i agree. Unfortunately Sven is a very good manager and with money behind him i reckon City could find themselves challenging us and the other sides around us.

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:34 pm

Tombwfc wrote:Yeah i agree. Unfortunately Sven is a very good manager and with money behind him i reckon City could find themselves challenging us and the other sides around us.
It hurts to say it but I agree.

However I'm confident Sammy Lee is going to be something special.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:49 pm

Daxter wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Yeah i agree. Unfortunately Sven is a very good manager and with money behind him i reckon City could find themselves challenging us and the other sides around us.

I'm not as confident as you on this, though obv I hope you're right. Speaking with the chaps at work, they all reckon we're relegation fodder (they would say that), and I saw on the net the other day that Sammy Lee is 9/1 to be sacked first this season (second in the list after Chris Hutchings/Wigan at 4/1)
Businesswoman of the year.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:35 pm

I don't agree. The irony is that any club that needs 10 good players to be competitive is never going to attract 10 good players. They may have a great deal of money but all that means is they will be paying more for second-class talent. I doubt any English player will go near the place due to Sven's reputation, and they won't have the clout to attract top foreign talent (even they will know about Sven's failings with England).

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:38 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Daxter wrote:

I'm not as confident as you on this, though obv I hope you're right. Speaking with the chaps at work, they all reckon we're relegation fodder (they would say that), and I saw on the net the other day that Sammy Lee is 9/1 to be sacked first this season (second in the list after Chris Hutchings/Wigan at 4/1)
That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing. Let them write us off. It iwill be all the more satisfying when we shove it down their throats.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:32 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
I don't agree. The irony is that any club that needs 10 good players to be competitive is never going to attract 10 good players. They may have a great deal of money but all that means is they will be paying more for second-class talent. I doubt any English player will go near the place due to Sven's reputation, and they won't have the clout to attract top foreign talent (even they will know about Sven's failings with England).
So which reputation, and which failings.

As a club manager Sven has one of the best long term records across Europe.

And as England manager he got us to the last 8 of every competition we entered - even after Keegan had made us all give up on qualification.

No other England manager since Ramsey, who had the advantage of playing at home, has had us up with the best for so long.

And my money is on Maclaren making Sven look even better

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 pm

bw@bw wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

And as England manager he got us to the last 8 of every competition we entered - even after Keegan had made us all give up on qualification.

No other England manager since Ramsey, who had the advantage of playing at home, has had us up with the best for so long.

Yep.
And if he'd only been English, had us playing sexy football and could keep it in his pants for more than five minutes he would've been perfection. :|
Businesswoman of the year.

mullayo
Dedicated
Dedicated

BBC asked some Swiss guy about Sven

Post by mullayo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:58 am

"Eriksson started his coaching career at Degefors in the third division but nobody knew who he was before he got the job at IFK.

"They had a good team but Sven was also credited for this because he had a new tactic where his sides pressured the opponent high up the field, which was not common in those days.

"That kind of play was new - it was a mix between the traditional English football style and the more modern game.

"He got his big breakthrough when they won the Uefa cup in 1982. No Swedish team has done anything like that.

"We followed his progress and he continued to get bigger and bigger and when he took over the English national team and they beat Germany 5-1 he was at the top of his legendary status.

"But his profile has fallen a little bit in the last few years with the side stories outside of football - the womanising and everything.

"And now by joining Manchester City it has fallen a bit more.

"I think Swedes hoped he would pick a bigger team for probably the last club of his career.

"He has been a big coach before and we hoped he would be a big coach again. But apparently not when you see him now.

"Among football trainers he is highly regarded. The Swedish coach Lars Lagerback rates Sven as he doesn't care about his affairs.

"I think he will probably take over the Swedish national team after Manchester City as his last job in his career. Despite everything that has gone on he would be a popular

SORRY RATBERT: Didn't see you had posted it already.
What could've happened; did.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:45 am

bw@bw wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:

Agree with bw there. Foreign players will see what he achieved with England, as a plus, England haven't challenged for anything for 40 years, so on paper it looks like another job well done for him.

However getting 10 quality players for £50m when a lot of dealings have already taken place might not be so easy.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:28 am

You couldn't make this up. In his first interview, old Frank Sinatra there, he immediately starts blathering on about "Waking the sleeping giant". How does he plan to do this? Well, his manager who has stated clearly that he requires ten new players has just had his wish-list whittled down to seven new players by his chairman. Go, Citeh. feck*' massive club, right! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Salford Trotter » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:15 am

IMO this is the beginning of the Svend for City :wink:

coffeymagic
Reliable
Reliable

Post by coffeymagic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:25 am

Don't know if this has been said already but in Saturday's paper he was saying that 'City will challenge man United this season....'

Course they will.

Sven before you start taking on United you might like to have a think about how you're going to take on Fulham, Villa and Everton.
I'm not asking you to 'think outside the box' I just wish you'd have a rummage around in it once in a while.

http://www.coffeymagic.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twitter @thetonycoffey

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 am

coffeymagic wrote:Don't know if this has been said already but in Saturday's paper he was saying that 'City will challenge man United this season....'

Course they will.

Sven before you start taking on United you might like to have a think about how you're going to take on Fulham, Villa and Everton.
yes they'll challenge them four times this season - the kick off for each half in their two league meetings this season. But nowt much beyond that.

Fantastic isn't it, the deluded leading the deluded
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:58 pm

Well they've signed a big lad up front, according to Wikipedia
big lad

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Well they've signed a big lad up front, according to Wikipedia
big lad
And old!!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Lets run a quick analysis of this.

1. The season kicks off in less than a month.

2. Citeh defy all the odds and bring in 10 players - some with outstanding pedigrees, most with less so - spending £40m in the process all before the beginning of the season. By my reckoning that's almost 2 players a week with Sven only being in a job for a week. Some going that.

3. New look Citeh team, who have never played together before in a competitive match and have only trained a couple of times at most, get thumped 3-0 the first three games in a row.

4. Confidence takes a huge beasting as Citeh, quite literally, cannot buy a win.

5. Citeh in the relegation zone by Xmas.

6. In a panic, Tamzin Shiniwhatever sacks the bumbling Swede by January.

Game over. Job's a good 'un.
Smarties have answers.....

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Veron's been released by Chelski hasn't he, Sven likes him, signed him at lazio and samp, could be on his way to citeh

Oh how I'll laugh!!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:50 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
coffeymagic wrote:Don't know if this has been said already but in Saturday's paper he was saying that 'City will challenge man United this season....'

Course they will.

yes they'll challenge them four times this season - the kick off for each half in their two league meetings this season. But nowt much beyond that.

Fantastic isn't it, the deluded leading the deluded
There'll be a damn site more than 4 kick-off's in those games.

Distressing as it is to say it Stretford FC are building up one awesome squad.

As for Sven, to be honest Icould build up a team with that amount of money. Clearly he only knows about high cost/reputation players.

He'll spend like water, buy some good, plenty of indifferent & some shite. He'll upset any players currently there & will mesmerise us all with his weird, understated remarks which many take as him being enigmatic when, we all know, it's coz he's confused.

He's a tosser of the very first order.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:13 pm

Bench wrote:

Lets run a quick analysis of this.

1. The season kicks off in less than a month.

2. Citeh defy all the odds and bring in 10 players - some with outstanding pedigrees, most with less so - spending £40m in the process all before the beginning of the season. By my reckoning that's almost 2 players a week with Sven only being in a job for a week. Some going that.

3. New look Citeh team, who have never played together before in a competitive match and have only trained a couple of times at most, get thumped 3-0 the first three games in a row.

4. Confidence takes a huge beasting as Citeh, quite literally, cannot buy a win.

5. Citeh in the relegation zone by Xmas.

6. In a panic, Tamzin Shiniwhatever sacks the bumbling Swede by January.

Game over. Job's a good 'un.
Shinawatra will sack Sven from a prison cell having been snatched by the Thai secret service and made to stand trial at home. At this point the rest of his assets will be siezed and there'll be a major argument between the government of Thailand and Manchester Council over who owns City's stadium.