Lack of cash being splashed?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Lack of cash being splashed?

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:56 am

All change at Anfield this week - Torres in for £20m, and Garcia out for £4m.

Now over the weekend we've seen the departure of Cisse (£6m), Bellamy (£8m) and Gonzalez is on the verge of buggering off for around £3-£3.5m to Betis.

Working those figures out our net-spend this year has come out at about £5m (the amount we paid for Lucas from Gremio). With these Americans coming in, everyone assumed that we'd be spunking the cash left, right and centre. Even if we do sign another winger (as Rafa has stated we're after) around the £10m mark, that'll still leave us with a summer spend of around the same amount that we averaged when David Moores was Chairman.

Lerner at Villa hasn't exactly been throwing the cash around this summer, has he? Chelsea have seemed remarkably quiet in their dealings, too, preferring to pick up a few players on frees. Even Arsenal's big money signing was preceeded by Henry's departure, leaving a net spend of around £0.

Obviously there's a fair amount of time left in the transfer window, but it seems like the only side that are really throwing some money around are Man United (they of the tight-fisted, money-grabbing owners who everyone said would never allow such spending).

With all this new TV money sloshing around, did anyone else expect there to be a bit more movement?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:21 pm

There's plenty of time left yet. I expect that fat bloke up at Newcastle whose name escapes me to spend a bit more yet.
Plus hasn't the other saviour of that other massive club Man City got a HUGE pot of cash burning a hole in his pocket to him waste on talentless players?
Businesswoman of the year.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Lack of cash being splashed?

Post by Hoboh » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:21 pm

blurred wrote:All change at Anfield this week - Torres in for £20m, and Garcia out for £4m.

Now over the weekend we've seen the departure of Cisse (£6m), Bellamy (£8m) and Gonzalez is on the verge of buggering off for around £3-£3.5m to Betis.

Working those figures out our net-spend this year has come out at about £5m (the amount we paid for Lucas from Gremio). With these Americans coming in, everyone assumed that we'd be spunking the cash left, right and centre. Even if we do sign another winger (as Rafa has stated we're after) around the £10m mark, that'll still leave us with a summer spend of around the same amount that we averaged when David Moores was Chairman.

Lerner at Villa hasn't exactly been throwing the cash around this summer, has he? Chelsea have seemed remarkably quiet in their dealings, too, preferring to pick up a few players on frees. Even Arsenal's big money signing was preceeded by Henry's departure, leaving a net spend of around £0.

Obviously there's a fair amount of time left in the transfer window, but it seems like the only side that are really throwing some money around are Man United (they of the tight-fisted, money-grabbing owners who everyone said would never allow such spending).

With all this new TV money sloshing around, did anyone else expect there to be a bit more movement?
I don't think the quality is available, no good splashing the cash on average players!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm

well some on here expected us to be in the bidding for Torres by the looks of it. Your post just goes to prove the point to all those who've been moaning about our lack of spending so far. We're not the only ones.

I'm of the opinion that the businessmen coming in to the game from outside are not falling in to the trap that Chairmen previously have and running the clubs like businesses not tax write-offs. I think some sense is sneaking into the board rooms and the idea of huge debts is not one they're prepared to keep going. The idea of using the TV money to steady a few ships and calm a few bank managers is what is needed. It's not before time.

Obviously not of the sensible approach applies to nosferatu-lookalike chairmen of cheating racist scumbag clubs in the East End of Southern cities.
Last edited by communistworkethic on Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Hey hang on a minute here... Is this right??

You've flogged Garcia AND Gonzalez???? And then replaced them with that streaky lanky unSpanish boy?????

Truly a most ridiculous decison and there is no real point at all to Liverpool Football Club anymore.

Devestated :whack:
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:There's plenty of time left yet. I expect that fat bloke up at Newcastle whose name escapes me to spend a bit more yet.
Plus hasn't the other saviour of that other massive club Man City got a HUGE pot of cash burning a hole in his pocket to him waste on talentless players?
Aye, old Shinawatra's still got some dosh to spend, but I'd be surprised if City splurged anywhere near to the reported £50m on transfers this year (quite possibly as a direct result of Nozza's point above). And the Geordies might have another player up their sleeve, but it does seem remarkably quiet what with the influx of the TV money and these new owners...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Gertie wrote:Hey hang on a minute here... Is this right??

You've flogged Garcia AND Gonzalez???? And then replaced them with that streaky lanky unSpanish boy?????

Truly a most ridiculous decison and there is no real point at all to Liverpool Football Club anymore.

Devestated :whack:
hormones still a bit rampant are they love?
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:48 pm

Should edit my first post - the Echo today are saying that the Torres deal was only (ha, only) £18m. Seems a bargain to me, that.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:09 pm

blurred wrote:Should edit my first post - the Echo today are saying that the Torres deal was only (ha, only) £18m. Seems a bargain to me, that.
Don't get me wrong blurred, I think Torres is a good player, but for around 12 million. £27M was being banded around last week so for your sake I hope The Echo are right with 18M.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:18 pm

malcd1 wrote:
blurred wrote:Should edit my first post - the Echo today are saying that the Torres deal was only (ha, only) £18m. Seems a bargain to me, that.
Don't get me wrong blurred, I think Torres is a good player, but for around 12 million. £27M was being banded around last week so for your sake I hope The Echo are right with 18M.
£27m was allegedly the release fee in his contract. The Echo today have said it was £18m, although it appears that the fees generally mentioned as what we got for Garcia could've been a million or so higher than what we actually received, too.

Chris Bascombe is the Echo's main Liverpool writer and he's been away for a couple of weeks on holiday, meaning David 'Bluenose gobshite' Prentice has been writing our stories in the meantime. And he's got about as much insider knowledge of what's going on at Anfield as my cat. No surprise that in Bascombe's first day back on the job he's set the record straight on a few things.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Not much cash been splashed around here either. Mind, if you believe the numbnuts on here, we only have £2,000,000 to spend per year. :roll:
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Re: Lack of cash being splashed?

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:23 pm

blurred wrote:With all this new TV money sloshing around, did anyone else expect there to be a bit more movement?
in your case I think there will be a lot of movement, just down the road. perhaps that's why you're not spending £60m on pisspoor spaniards

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:50 pm

We payed Atletico less than what we said. Those figures were being bandied about to appease their fans.

In addition to the original post, I don't really agree. The vermin have spent nearly £60 million this summer already, with the Tevez deal yet to come, loan or otherwise. Chelsea have done free transfer deals mostly and they are generally the biggest spenders.

Plenty of time yet but there is some money being splashed.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:25 pm

I'd take all of Chelsea's freebies over Torres anyday, far better value.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:50 am

Premier League clubs have splashed £284m already this summer - their biggest spree ever, more than double at the same stage last year and almost three times of that in 2005. (The Sun)

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:09 am

SKY reckon £303m is the record kiddo, not my words, the words of Mike Wedderburn.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:38 am

Batman wrote:SKY reckon £303m is the record kiddo, not my words, the words of Mike Wedderburn.
who am i to support the fecking sun's mathematics?