Mackems land Richardson

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Since you're both around, Nozza and Blurred, and you've both rated him as more valuable than Jaaskelainen...
Daily Mail wrote:Sunderland will smash the British transfer fee for a goalkeeper on Wednesday by paying Hearts £9m for Craig Gordon.
A bargain?
I wouldn't say it was a bargain, no, but I stand by my reasoning to say that he's more valuable in terms of an asset than Jaaskelainen. Wouldn't have him down at that price, mind.

Who was the previous British record for a goalkeeper, anyway? Surely they mean the highest price paid for a British goalkeeper, as Cech was more than that, wasn't he?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:18 pm

blurred wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Since you're both around, Nozza and Blurred, and you've both rated him as more valuable than Jaaskelainen...
Daily Mail wrote:Sunderland will smash the British transfer fee for a goalkeeper on Wednesday by paying Hearts £9m for Craig Gordon.
A bargain?
I wouldn't say it was a bargain, no, but I stand by my reasoning to say that he's more valuable in terms of an asset than Jaaskelainen. Wouldn't have him down at that price, mind.

Who was the previous British record for a goalkeeper, anyway? Surely they mean the highest price paid for a British goalkeeper, as Cech was more than that, wasn't he?
I believe Chelsea paid somewhere in the region of 7.7m for Cech

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:21 pm

boltonboris wrote:I believe Chelsea paid somewhere in the region of 7.7m for Cech
Strange, thought it was more than that...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:26 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I believe Chelsea paid somewhere in the region of 7.7m for Cech
Strange, thought it was more than that...
Wiki doesnt!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_%C4%8Cech

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:44 pm

A bargain?
Absolutely.

Get the lad in.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:47 pm

blurred wrote:
Nozza wrote:Good signing
Debateable, especially at the price.
Nozza wrote:England International
Because he was 'playing' for United. Expect that to finish now he's gone to Sunderland.
Nozza wrote:versatile
Doesn't have a position that he's any good enough in to call his own.
I disagree with all points. I think he is a cracking signing, the most exciting SAFC has made in a long time. (Nozza doesn't count. He chose us, we didn't choose him)
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:48 pm

Nozza wrote:I think he is a cracking signing, the most exciting SAFC has made in a long time.
tore andre flo was a while ago i guess

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:51 pm

James B wrote:
Nozza wrote:I think he is a cracking signing, the most exciting SAFC has made in a long time.
I was more excited with Marcus Stewart. :oops:

Didn't he score a boat load against you in one season (possibly the play off year?)

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:52 pm

Nozza wrote:
James B wrote:
I was more excited with Marcus Stewart. :oops:

Didn't he score a boat load against you in one season (possibly the play off year?)
stewart? yeah he scored a double at the reebok in a 2-2 draw with ipswich in the playoff first leg before the infamous second leg where he also had a good game linking up well with barry knight

trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:55 pm

WHO THE HELL MENTIONED BARRY KNIGHT :shock:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:56 pm

Nozza wrote:Absolutely.

Get the lad in.
I fail to see how at £9m he can be called 'a bargain', even by the most blinkered of supporters. A good player? Yes. A bargain? No. That's like me saying Torres was a snip at £20.2m... :crazy:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:11 pm

blurred wrote:

Get the lad in.
I fail to see how at £9m he can be called 'a bargain', even by the most blinkered of supporters. A good player? Yes. A bargain? No. That's like me saying Torres was a snip at £20.2m... :crazy:
aHA!!! Dissent amongst the pro-Gordoners! :mrgreen:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm

thought the politics chat was in the commie thread?

ohhhh, you mean craig gordon? I thought you meant that fat scottish git :wink:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Where's your fookin Barry Knight now Ipshit?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:04 pm

blurred wrote:

Get the lad in.
Differing opinion, I guess.

Having a solid, confident, decent keeper could be the difference between us staying up and going down. No disrespect to Darren Ward, but Craig Gordon would give us (players, team, fans) the confidence to know we have a solid back line. If Gordon comes, then we will have Scotlands best keeper (and argueably one of the best in the British Isles), some solid defenders (and Nozza) at the back.

If £9 Million for a keeper keeps us up, then it will be a bargain.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:18 pm

Nozza wrote:Differing opinion, I guess.

Having a solid, confident, decent keeper could be the difference between us staying up and going down. No disrespect to Darren Ward, but Craig Gordon would give us (players, team, fans) the confidence to know we have a solid back line. If Gordon comes, then we will have Scotlands best keeper (and argueably one of the best in the British Isles), some solid defenders (and Nozza) at the back.

If £9 Million for a keeper keeps us up, then it will be a bargain.
I can see the argument, but it's somewhat conditional. At the moment I'd say that it'd be difficult to call him a bargain, in much the same way that you couldn't have called Shevchenko a bargain at £30m last summer. You've paid a premium (possibly over the top) for what you want - if he goes on to do as you said then he may well turn out to be worth the money, but I still think there's a difference between being 'value for money' (as he would be if he kept you up) and a 'bargain'. If you'd got him for £3m then I'd say you'd got yourself a bargain already.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:25 am

No doubt Gordon is the best British keeper, just not a patch on Habsi or Jusko