Setanta Sports News

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Salford Trotter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Setanta Sports News

Post by Salford Trotter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:37 am

Maybe old news but I thought I'd share it anyway...great news for me as a Virgin Media subscriber as I've lost SSN as part of the spat between the two

Virgin, Setanta confirm sports news channel

Thursday, July 26 2007, 13:19 BST

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

Virgin Media and Setanta Sports have today confirmed plans to launch a joint-venture sports news channel within the next few weeks.

Setanta Sports News will launch exclusively on Virgin Media as a free channel for the cable operator's entire customer base.

The new service will plug the hole created by the departure of Sky Sports News from the platform earlier this year following a much-publicised carriage dispute between Virgin and Sky.

"It will be a powerful new voice in sports news," said Michael O'Rourke, co-founder of Setanta Sports. "With a full spectrum of live location reports, interviews, studio-based experts and discussion shows, this is a channel with genuine appeal to real sports fans."

O'Rourke added that Setanta Sports News would have an independent editorial approach and would "not be a barker channel" for the broadcaster's portfolio of other stations. Presenters include former Sky Sports News anchor Kelly Dalglish and comedian Terry Alderton.

It is expected to launch in time for the new football season on August 11. Under a new three-year deal with the Premier League, Setanta will broadcast 46 live games a season, ending Sky's long-standing monopoly on Premiership games.

Although the channel will initially be available through Virgin Media only, O'Rourke confirmed that carriage on Sky and broadband would follow "after an initial period", adding: "We are looking at Freeview [carriage]."

Meanwhile, Virgin confirmed plans to launch a new sports website next Monday (July 30) featuring free highlights from every Premier League game. The company's CEO of content Malcolm Wall said he hoped the portal would become a top three sports site. "Sport is all about the fans and the internet is the perfect medium for bringing the beautiful game to life," he said. "No matter what the sport, fans will find out new portal the best place to get their daily dose of what's going on, on and off the pitch."

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:48 am

No Millie Clode though eh

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:35 am

Been delayed apparently.