Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:04 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:I say again

Bentley, David

Where does it stop

When is it acceptable for players to pick and choose their games

And what message does it send out to players

Special treatment for the diver
isn't likely to help with squad unity
Hardly, Caps. Owen Hargreaves has been declared not fit for England but will play next weekend. It's not new. Bentley was a bigger case, I'll grant - I was momentarily filled with hatred for Leslie Mark Hughes - but missing friendlies has woven like a thread through the Ryan Giggs narrative, for instance.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:36 am

Gerrards comments annoyed me, He was bleating about making sure he's fit for the 'Big Games' - Like playing Germany is a Sunday League match, also if he keeps missing fiendlies then fecking drop him for a qualifier - You can't pick and choose which games you fancy playing in

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:01 am

boltonboris wrote:Gerrards comments annoyed me, He was bleating about making sure he's fit for the 'Big Games' - Like playing Germany is a Sunday League match, also if he keeps missing fiendlies then fecking drop him for a qualifier - You can't pick and choose which games you fancy playing in
He did mention the qualifiers, for those of you precious England fans who care about that sort of rubbish.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:42 pm

"Sadly, I have been unable to persuade Fifa, Uefa, and the Premier League to allow me to use 12 players in every game!"
Benitez defends his rotation policy.

Thats from BBC's quotes of the week....

.... I bet he bloody asked too!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Another lazy journalistic stereotype. Benitez doesn't change his starting line-up any more or less than Mourinho or Ferguson. When the Mancs do it, it's 'keeping players fresh' and 'utilising the squad', when Benitez does it it's 'rotation', which as we all know is a negative thing.

He was accused of 'rotating' Crouch, Mascherano and Kewell out of the squad on the opening day of the season, for Christ's sake. How can you rotate after 0 games?

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:53 pm

blurred wrote:Another lazy journalistic stereotype. Benitez doesn't change his starting line-up any more or less than Mourinho or Ferguson. When the Mancs do it, it's 'keeping players fresh' and 'utilising the squad', when Benitez does it it's 'rotation', which as we all know is a negative thing.
that's cos mourinho and ferguson have succeeded domestically

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:54 pm

James B wrote:that's cos mourinho and ferguson have succeeded domestically
Ah, I see. So rotation only benefits the league and not Europe or the cups, then? I getcha.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:59 pm

blurred wrote:
James B wrote:that's cos mourinho and ferguson have succeeded domestically
Ah, I see. So rotation only benefits the league and not Europe or the cups, then? I getcha.
i was merely pointing out why the media were using stereotypes

win the league and the rotation criticism will go away

Penny
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Penny » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:05 pm

In the interview I saw Gerard said something along the lines of if my toe makes a great recovery then I will play vs Germany if not I won't risk it so I can be fit for the qualifiers when they come round and the big games for Liverpool. Presumably if Rafa is asking him to play on with the damage he will be looking at resting him when he feels he can.

If this was Bolton and Anelka I would totally agree with the clubs stance. Can't imagine many Newcastle fans will be too amused if Owen gets injured in the friendly (although I would be :twisted: )

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:05 pm

James B wrote:i was merely pointing out why the media were using stereotypes

I s'pose there's an element of truth in that, but it's hardly as if Benitez has been unsuccesful in his time at Liverpool.

Interestingly they've (the media) dropped all that 'zonal marking' bollocks that they were carping on about for months on end...

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:08 pm

blurred wrote:
James B wrote:i was merely pointing out why the media were using stereotypes

I s'pose there's an element of truth in that, but it's hardly as if Benitez has been unsuccesful in his time at Liverpool.

Interestingly they've (the media) dropped all that 'zonal marking' bollocks that they were carping on about for months on end...

He'd have been sacked had he not won that European Cup

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:34 pm

Batman wrote:He'd have been sacked had he not won that European Cup
Yeah, Liverpool have a real track record of sacking managers...

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Not wrong though

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:56 am

Benitez seems to be doing a Ferguson and trying to create some sort of siege mentality at Anfield... his latest tirade is very strange and un-Rafa like. Of course, the points he makes are valid ones, but I'm still not sure why he's come out about all this now... I'm not a fan of the whinging:
Aug 22 2007 EXCLUSIVE by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ today accused the Premier League of unfair treatment which threatens to wreck any chance of a Liverpool title challenge. A furious Reds boss says it’s clear decisions are being taken which favour the Reds’ rivals, with yesterday’s dismissal of Gabriel Heinze’s bid to join Liverpool the latest setback.

In a blistering attack, Benitez said today: “I would like to ask the Premier League a number of questions. How can a player with a signed agreement be treated like this?

“He has a document which is clear, but the Premier League prefers to believe the word of someone else who made a mistake. I know there were accusations made against Liverpool in the hearing which were unbelievable. How can this be allowed?

“Then I would like to ask the Premier League why is it that Liverpool always plays the most fixtures, away from home in an early kick-off, following an international break? We had more than the top clubs last season and we have four already to prepare for this season.

“Then I want to ask the Premier League why it was so so difficult for Liverpool to sign Javier Mascherano, when we had to wait a long time for the paperwork, but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?

“It’s going to be very difficult for us to win the Premier League because the other teams are so strong, but I want our supporters to know that despite the disadvantages we have, we will fight all the way.

“We will fight to cope with our more difficult kick-off times and all the other decisions which are going against us.”

Benitez is pondering his contingency plan on Heinze, while recognising the courage the player has shown in a bid to join Liverpool. Heinze is ready to risk being stuck in limbo for a year to fight on for his move to Liverpool. His appeal against the decision denying his switch to Anfield won’t be heard until September - after the transfer deadline. But if the Argentine is successful in a fresh hearing, there is a provision for a deal to proceed outside the transfer window.

Should his appeal fail, however, he’ll be stuck in United’s reserves for the season, until he can buy himself out of the club next summer. The 29-year-old was distraught following yesterday’s verdict, but his appeal will be heard by a new committee. Yesterday, a two man panel consisting of Premier League Chairman Sir David Richards (ex-Sheffield Wednesday) and legal advisor Peter McCormick (ex-Leeds) rejected the Manchester United defender’s claim he had permission to join any club for £6.8m.

They agreed with the submissions of United chief executive David Gill and manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who argued it was made clear from the outset the agreement referred only to a foreign transfer. It is being suggested Gill also made the extraordinary claim that Liverpool asked Crystal Palace to sign Heinze on their behalf, before selling him on to the Reds. The fact the exit fee was valued in euros rather than pounds was used as a key argument.

An appeal panel will consist of three, including a PFA representative and a high ranking member of the legal profession. Heinze remains optimistic an appeal will be accepted and is in no mood to give up on his hopes of moving to Liverpool. His solicitor, Richard Green, said today: “We are extremely disappointed with the result and we will be appealing.”

There is no means of appeal to the Premier League after the next hearing. United are now hoping to offload Heinze to another club, and are prepared to accept much less than £6.8m. They also know Heinze will be in a position to force his move to Liverpool within 12 months.

The difficulty for Liverpool boss Benitez is he’s keen for a defensive reinforcement before the end of this month, and now knows he can’t rely on the Heinze verdict going the player’s way.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:21 pm

Wanker. Exactly how many rules does he expect to be altered/ignored for the benefit of his club?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:25 pm

"but it was so easy for Carlos Tevez to join Manchester United?"

Now he is clearly talking b***ocks! and also the comment about playing away fixtures after an international break? Give over you soft ba****d - Half your players pull out of squads due to 'injury' anyway!

The bloke winds me up something rotten!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm

boltonboris wrote:and also the comment about playing away fixtures after an international break?
I think it's more the fact that we habitually get the 12.45 kick offs, and this year it's Sunderland away and Portsmouth away, both after international weekends that he's on about. Those 12.45 kick offs piss me off, irrespective of when they are, because it's a fecking early start for all of us who have to travel the length of the country. Don't see United or Chelsea or Arsenal getting too many of them, do you?
boltonboris wrote:The bloke winds me up something rotten!
I think that's his intention with all this - why not whinge and piss and moan if Mourinho and Ferguson do it to their advantage?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:36 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:and also the comment about playing away fixtures after an international break?
I think it's more the fact that we habitually get the 12.45 kick offs, and this year it's Sunderland away and Portsmouth away, both after international weekends that he's on about. Those 12.45 kick offs piss me off, irrespective of when they are, because it's a fecking early start for all of us who have to travel the length of the country. Don't see United or Chelsea or Arsenal getting too many of them, do you?
boltonboris wrote:The bloke winds me up something rotten!
I think that's his intention with all this - why not whinge and piss and moan if Mourinho and Ferguson do it to their advantage?
I bet he's not whingeing about the TV money that comes with it though?

And also I don't think Ferguson bleats on about consipracy theories and the like with regards to the FA

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:38 pm

boltonboris wrote:I bet he's not whingeing about the TV money that comes with it though?

And also I don't think Ferguson bleats on about consipracy theories and the like with regards to the FA
No, I'm sure he's not, but why is it that we always have the 12.45 slot, and not the Mancs or Chelsea? It always seems to fall to us. I'd happily have more 5.15's or 4pm's on a Sunday, but the last couple of seasons have been ridiculous with the number of early games we've had to play, typically away too.

And everyone knows that the PL/FA/BBC are scared of Ferguson and have been for years.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:43 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:I bet he's not whingeing about the TV money that comes with it though?

No, I'm sure he's not, but why is it that we always have the 12.45 slot, and not the Mancs or Chelsea? It always seems to fall to us. I'd happily have more 5.15's or 4pm's on a Sunday, but the last couple of seasons have been ridiculous with the number of early games we've had to play, typically away too.

And everyone knows that the PL/FA/BBC are scared of Ferguson and have been for years.
It's basically because they are the more attractive option to show on the weekends - Apart from Liverpool fans, people would rather watch Man Utd and Chelsea games..

The reason you play at those time is because you are an attractive fixture for viewers and because of your own large fan base people WILL tune in - It's just that the UK, nay, the world would rather watch the other of the 'big 4' hence why they are shown during the more lucrative time zones