Benitez .... prick

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:27 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:if you read nobby's columns
Read the first one or two before I found them so brain-crushingly dull that I decided to stop. From what I hear elsewhere the standard didn't really improve.
hisroyalgingerness wrote:I'd do everything in my power to make sure they had the early kick offs after international breaks :roll: - though I'd prob get refs to give dodgy penalties as well
I'm not arguing some massive conspiracy (if I were, I'd point to the Styles/Abramovich link that was doing the rounds the other day - farcical :) ) but just pointing out what Rafa's whinging about, and that it does have some basis. Never hear a manager whinging saying 'I wish we played at 12:45 more often' do you? Don't think there's any real advantage to it, you'd much rather have the extra day off and play on Sunday.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:31 pm

each one of the top 4 managers make similar comments. Mourinho was at it last season. It's all mind games, it all evens itself out. don't see the huge deal

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:37 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:each one of the top 4 managers make similar comments. Mourinho was at it last season. It's all mind games, it all evens itself out. don't see the huge deal
It's just rare for Rafa to be doing it - not sure I'm a fan, cos the whinging'll get you nowhere really. You expect it from the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson, though.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:53 pm

blurred wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:each one of the top 4 managers make similar comments. Mourinho was at it last season. It's all mind games, it all evens itself out. don't see the huge deal
It's just rare for Rafa to be doing it - not sure I'm a fan, cos the whinging'll get you nowhere really. You expect it from the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson, though.
He's just having a kick-off because the Heinze situation didn't go his way

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:02 pm

blurred wrote:
Strange thing for a Scouser to say about their national sport? :?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:21 pm

blurred wrote:
boltonboris wrote:It's basically because they are the more attractive option to show on the weekends - Apart from Liverpool fans, people would rather watch Man Utd and Chelsea games..

The reason you play at those time is because you are an attractive fixture for viewers and because of your own large fan base people WILL tune in - It's just that the UK, nay, the world would rather watch the other of the 'big 4' hence why they are shown during the more lucrative time zones
At the fans Q&A with Rick Parry (Chief Exec) in the summer, we were told that the TV scheduling has nothing to do with the Far East or other timezone markets, and is purely a Sky thing. I know that we're a more attractive proposition to watch and that we're a good 'brand' for the PL to export, but it's more a case of the times of these games rather than the fact that we're on telly.

I just did a quick count on our fixtures last year, and we played twelve league games with 12:45 (or 12:15/12:30) kick offs last year. That's almost a third of our games, which is quite frankly ridiculous! When you're coming back from an international break, perhaps having played away in Europe, there's a big difference between starting a game at 12:45 on a Saturday and 4pm on a Sunday. That's what Rafa's moaning about in the above piece. Hopefully with the new deal we won't have too many early games this season (for the squad, but more for my sake! :D)
And during the last three years you've won the Champions League and been runners up....logically this must be because you're getting an extra long rest after playing your league games...whereas Arsenal, Chelski and Man Ure are having to rush into theres having kicked off later in the weekend....Mr Pot: you look exceedingly black today Mr Kettle....

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:23 pm

presumably he believes they'd have won the league and FA cup too had it not been for the premier league conspiracy against them.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:27 pm

1) Heinze. I couldn't care either way. I didn't want to sign him but I would loved to have seen the egg on the Slur's face. I think the FA are scared of upsetting Ferguson, but I don't think that had any influence on this case. Heinze had no chance at any point.

2) Premiership scheduling of games. Covering old ground, been done to death. He has a point but complaining about it won't do any good.

3) The Tevez/Mascherano comparisons. I think this is the most valid point and the one that has got my back up more than anything. It was totally disproportionate. It took the best part of 2 months to sort Mascherano out, it took the best part of 2 weeks to sort the Tevez deal. Really frustrating.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:29 pm

Rafa is losing it.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 pm

communistworkethic wrote:presumably he believes they'd have won the league and FA cup too had it not been for the premier league conspiracy against them.
... yep, that and being about 10% as good as Stretford.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:58 am

Crouch > Davies wrote: 3) The Tevez/Mascherano comparisons. I think this is the most valid point and the one that has got my back up more than anything. It was totally disproportionate. It took the best part of 2 months to sort Mascherano out, it took the best part of 2 weeks to sort the Tevez deal. Really frustrating.
Considering they're roughly the same deal, think about which came first and whether that had any impact on the second.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm

The problem with Mascherano wasn't who owned him. It was "Had he played for 3 different clubs in a full year?" which it turns out he hadn't. As far as I know the ownership debate didn't come into it until the FA stepped in after the initial FIFA examination and hadn't been decided on when he went on loan. I know Liverpool own his registration but we've got a fee to pay next summer and we might have a similar wrangle about who gets paid what but without the acrimony.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:00 pm

Benitez is still a prick though.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:15 pm

You heard it here first, we're gonna win the league ;)

Perhaps not, but there's a good feel to things this season.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:16 pm

Oh aye, beating Sunderland and Villa, you are a shoe-in

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:18 pm

blurred wrote:You heard it here first, we're gonna win the league ;)

I suspect that you'll be closer this season and whilst I fully agree with the title of this thread, that's a good thing for English football.

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:01 pm

blurred wrote:You heard it here first, we're gonna win the league ;)

GIDDY

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:06 pm

oops
Hyypia suffered a suspected broken nose against Sunderland, and Carragher a possible broken rib in the 2-0 win.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez said: "Sami lost the vision in his left eye and may well have broken his nose.

"Jamie is in a lot pain and I'm not sure if either will be involved against Toulouse. We'll wait and see."

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Oh dear

That'll be the fault of Kevin Davies
Sto ut Serviam

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 pm

Oh, and today proved that Mikel is better than Xabi