Is Fat Sam safe? Do we care?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Is Fat Sam safe? Do we care?

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:14 am

From today's Mirror.co.uk

Do I see vultures circling here?

First out Big Sam isn't pie in the Sky
In association with Betfair.com
Additional reporting by John Shaw
Derek McGovern 28/08/2007

While Martin Jol and Sammy Lee are hogging the Sack Race limelight, there's another manager who's quietly attracting the attention of punting shrewdies.
Chances are if you asked Sam Allardyce to name his ideal jobs, managing Newcastle wouldn't figure much higher than Panorama editor.
Tyneside is merely Big Sam's stepping stone to the job he truly covets - England. And that dream job, all logic screams, will become available just as soon as Steve McClaren finishes the task, started by Sven Goran Eriksson, of making the national side a laughing stock.
While Allardyce looks every inch a master butcher, using his hightech mouthpiece not to make tactical changes but to order another hundredweight of loin chops, he's the man bookies will surely make favourite to take charge of England once Sir Quiff gets the boot (early next month by my reckoning).
And Allardyce would not be the only man delighted by such a development. Rumours from Tyneside suggest owner Mike Ashley is ready to sell out to a consortium who want Alan Shearer as Newcastle boss.
Even if a sale doesn't go through, Ashley, who is trying desperately to foster closer links with Toon fans after years of Fat Freddie freeloading, would probably love Allardyce to go without compensation because Newcastle PR is hardly helped by a manager who refuses to speak to major media outlets.
Ashley looks like he ate all the pies, Allardyce like he made them - and somehow you feel a bet on the 33-1 offered by Sky Bet that Allardyce is the first Premier League boss out of a job is not pie in the Sky.
He's 40-1 with bet365 which is a better price, but no use for a pie in the Sky line.
Next Premier manager to go (Sky Bet): 9-4 M Jol, 3-1 S Lee, 8-1 A Curbishley, G Southgate, 10-1 S Bruce, 12-1 C Hutchings, L Sanchez, B Davies, 16-1 R Keane, 20-1 H Redknapp, 33-1 S Allardyce, S Coppell, A Wenger, D Moyes, 40-1 bar.

Funny old game! :crazy:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:24 am

quite bitchy all in all

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:27 am

Quite pathetic really this boycotting of the media. Should be a laugh if he becomes England manager.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 am

using his hightech mouthpiece not to make tactical changes
Tis all they really had to say.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:33 am

No he's not safe. By my last reckoning Newcastle have now had the bast part of 550 managers in the last ten years alone, changing managers at one point at the rate of three a week, often without a ball even being kicked. It's the second most unsafe job in the world, just behind the Man City manager.

And no we don't care.
Businesswoman of the year.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:58 am

CrazyHorse wrote:No he's not safe. By my last reckoning Newcastle have now had the bast part of 550 managers in the last ten years alone, changing managers at one point at the rate of three a week, often without a ball even being kicked. It's the second most unsafe job in the world, just behind the Man City manager.

And no we don't care.
to quote a Spurs board member - "we've tried everything but stability"
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:quite bitchy all in all
Yes, I liked it.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:48 pm

Aye, but the words don't quite match the odds....there are still 10 managers the bookies have in front of him...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Aye, but the words don't quite match the odds....there are still 10 managers the bookies have in front of him...
that's why they say "it's a good bet" !!

Tssk.

:roll:
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Pete
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Aye, but the words don't quite match the odds....there are still 10 managers the bookies have in front of him...
Yes but their argument is that he will be installed as the next England manager in the next few weeks, so he won't be sacked, but he will still be first manager to leave. I think their version of events is highly unlikely considering the lack of anything resembling balls at the FA. No chance of them sacking McClaren any time soon.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Pete wrote:
Yes but their argument is that he will be installed as the next England manager in the next few weeks, so he won't be sacked, but he will still be first manager to leave. I think their version of events is highly unlikely considering the lack of anything resembling balls at the FA. No chance of them sacking McClaren any time soon.
More's the pity.
Businesswoman of the year.

Penny
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Penny » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:08 pm

More chance of Bin Laden getting the England job than there is of Allardyce getting it. If / when McLaren goes they will be looking for another foreign manager possibly Mourinho ?

As for Fat Sam at Newcastle I for one do care as he is overdue his comeuppance and I would enjoy his bleating to the press about how is was unfair, he was n't given enough time, people didnt understand what he was trying to do, how it was the ref fault etc etc etc.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
that's why they say "it's a good bet" !!

Tssk.

:roll:
:shock: I remember a guy who goes in our Local saying that 10-1 was good odds on Citeh in their match against Arsenal at Highbury a few years ago, to which I responded that 10/1 represented a bad bet as the bookies didn't think it was very likely that Citeh would win....long odds, do not, a good bet make....usually..

Tssssssssk.