McClaren Out !!!

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:52 pm

shhh...
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:52 pm

Batman wrote:i reckon he'll play crouch on his own, and Gerrard as the 'support striker'

5 in midfield

boring or what
Can't see it. Trying a new formation against Croatia didn't work out too well last time, he's at home in front of a newly-expectant audience, we need to win (although a draw would do, playing for draws isn't England's strong suit), Darren Bent has been called up and I can't think of a single game where Gerrard, who loves coming on to the game like Captain Hollywood rather than playing with his back to goal, has ever played well in that role.

Still, let's hope we win. Not least to avoid the possibility of this. "McClaren out", was that? Again, be careful what you wish for...

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:01 pm

heard you the first time, you shameless post booster

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Batman wrote:heard you the first time, you shameless post booster
:mrgreen: says he

forgot to add postscript shaking metaphorical head at the She-Ra possibility

mind, can't find which 'news'paper originally spouted it

can't delete it either for some reason

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 am

McClaren's out if we fail to qualify, and we shouldn't start calling for his head unless this happens. His remit is to get us into the competitions and perform well once there; for me, he has yet to fail at this task.

Ask this question again after the tournament (if we qualify).

For what it's worth, I think the guy's an ass. Tactically he's a retard, he's got the leadership of a gimp, and I think he was the wrong choice at the time.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 am

Backgammon wrote:McClaren's out if we fail to qualify, and we shouldn't start calling for his head unless this happens. His remit is to get us into the competitions and perform well once there; for me, he has yet to fail at this task.

For what it's worth, I think the guy's an ass. Tactically he's a retard, he's got the leadership of a gimp, and I think he was the wrong choice at the time.
You have quite a high opinion of him then?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 am

What a dilemma. If he stays after you win you'll struggle to get out of the groups. If he goes it's probably only because you've lost. English football is on a lose-lose until Euro 2008 is over.

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Backgammon wrote:McClaren's out if we fail to qualify, and we shouldn't start calling for his head unless this happens. His remit is to get us into the competitions and perform well once there; for me, he has yet to fail at this task.

Are you a fan?

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:20 am

fatshaft wrote:What a dilemma. If he stays after you win you'll struggle to get out of the groups. If he goes it's probably only because you've lost. English football is on a lose-lose until Euro 2008 is over.
I don't particularly believe the international set-up has been on a winner since his appointment...

The only positive could be that I (and indeed many others) could be wrong about McClaren as England go on to have a great tornament and subsequent World Cup qualification campain, and he actually turns out to be the best coach we've had for years...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 am

Backgammon wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Are you a fan?
No, I just think your assessment of him is being generous!

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Backgammon wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Are you a fan?
No, I just think your assessment of him is being generous!
Fair enough then... Can I add that his hair is weird?

He atually looks more respectable and trustworthy when he's covered his head with a giant licorice wheel...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:12 pm

If we are going to have an England manager with no experience of winning owt, lets at least have one with some charisma.

Steve McClaren is probably the most boring man alive.

I don't think that he is quite as bad tactically as some people make out, but he has no personality, doesn't show passion and I don't think he has brought about the battling spirit that we really need to see from some of our pampered superstars.

McClaren of course was on the point of being under real pressure at Boro, UNTIL their run to the UEFA cup final.

I think that once McClaren is out of the job either Thursday or after the summer, the FA need to seriously think about what the England managers job is. Its so devolved from managing a premiership club that really just because "someone is good at premiership management" doesn't mean they can do the England job.

My choice would be Mourinho, or alternatively O'Neill.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:If we are going to have an England manager with no experience of winning owt, lets at least have one with some charisma.

I don't think that he is quite as bad tactically as some people make out, but he has no personality, doesn't show passion and I don't think he has brought about the battling spirit that we really need to see from some of our pampered superstars.

McClaren of course was on the point of being under real pressure at Boro, UNTIL their run to the UEFA cup final.

I think that once McClaren is out of the job either Thursday or after the summer, the FA need to seriously think about what the England managers job is. Its so devolved from managing a premiership club that really just because "someone is good at premiership management" doesn't mean they can do the England job.

go on then .........i'll humour you
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:07 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:If we are going to have an England manager with no experience of winning owt, lets at least have one with some charisma.

go on then .........i'll humour you
Martin O'Neill has the right credentials. Knows the game inside out motivates teams to play above themselves, and critically is strong enough to completely ignore the press and the general public opinion (usually both are wrong!).

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 pm

yeah, of course that's why Villa have been so good since he arrived - not at all like the previous years of mediocrity at all.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:17 pm

communistworkethic wrote:yeah, of course that's why Villa have been so good since he arrived - not at all like the previous years of mediocrity at all.
They're better now than when he arrived.

He's developing young players at the club.

He hasn't spent ridiculous money for "a quick fix".

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:yeah, of course that's why Villa have been so good since he arrived - not at all like the previous years of mediocrity at all.
They're better now than when he arrived.

He's developing young players at the club.

He hasn't spent ridiculous money for "a quick fix".
I agree about him developing the younger players @ villa BWFCI but that's done for you in the England setup.

Money doesn't come into it as far as recruitment.

So that just leaves us the question of ability and whilst i think he's a decent club manager, i certainly wouldn't want him for England manager.

I'd like to think the FA could, for once, take their sanctimonious heads out of the sand and listen to who the people want.

Whoever that may be. :?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:33 pm

nor has he particularly fixed anything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:40 pm

communistworkethic wrote:nor has he particularly fixed anything.
He has improved Villa, they were bottom half under O Dreary.

He worked miracles at Leicester and turned Celtic around.

But like I say his most crucial quality is that he is strong enough to resist the media and public baying that goes hand in hand with England.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:nor has he particularly fixed anything.
He has improved Villa, they were bottom half under O Dreary.
that's not difficult and he had a fair bit of cash
He worked miracles at Leicester and turned Celtic around.
so did Jewel at wigan for a season (not repeated it at Villa has he?) and he spent millions at Celtic in a 2-horse race during which one had a limp.
But like I say his most crucial quality is that he is strong enough to resist the media and public baying that goes hand in hand with England.
arrogance, beligerance and often nonsensical rambling may be signs of strength to you but not me, he just tries to copy Clough.