FIFA drop world cup rotation policy

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

FIFA drop world cup rotation policy

Post by Verbal » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:24 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067187.stm

Opens way for 2018 bid by England.

Thoughts?
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:29 pm

Think it's a poor show really and they're relying for the cups to be held in the major nations to generate more ticket revenue and advertising potential

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:38 pm

Think it were a bit daft to have them in strict rotation. Why should Europe only get to host it once every quarter of a century - ie not have hosted it since Espana 82?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Clearly Fanny Blatter's 'shoe-horn it into Sitt Iffrica' chickens have come home to roost. Excellent! :mrgreen:
May the bridges I burn light your way

blurred
Icon
Icon

Re: FIFA drop world cup rotation policy

Post by blurred » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:21 pm

Verbal wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7067187.stm

Opens way for 2018 bid by England.

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that every journalist in the land has spectacularly mis-understood the situation.

FIFA's position was that no confederation could host it if it had hosted either of the last two world cups. Given that 2010 is going to Saath Iffrica and Brazil is widely tipped to host 2014, there was never any question of England not going for 2018. I don't really know where this misconception has come from, and why the story is 'FIFA decision opens door for England' as opposed to 'FIFA policy means door open for England' if they hadn't changed it... :crazy:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:28 pm

Well we'll see after the teatime press conference but if your version's true then I don't understand why they've felt the need to have a meeting, press release and conference given that the executive committee vice-president Chung charlie-joon has apparently said today that all associations are free to apply providing their confederations hadn't hosted either of the two preceding WCs - ie what you already said was the situation. Even FIFA's fatties aren't daft enough to set up a quango to triumphantly trumpet the new old regulations. Are they?

In other words, what precisely did they vote unanimously on today?

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:22 am

damn... now it's never going to be in the USA.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:29 am

libreg wrote:damn... now it's never going to be in the USA.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Clearly Fanny Blatter's 'shoe-horn it into Sitt Iffrica' chickens have come home to roost. Excellent! :mrgreen:
Well now the Africans who all voted for him have had their allotted World Cup, he can take the rotational ball away, can't he?

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:27 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Yeah, but I didn't give a second glance at football back then.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:04 pm

libreg wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Welcome aboard... and wait yer turn :wink:

As a matter of interest, how old are you, what was your sport before futbol and why Bolton?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:48 pm

It was always bollox.

That South America ... with only about 3 countries even close to capable of hosting it should get the same opportunity as Europe with about 15 capable was always shite.

Add that to the African shoe-in & it shows what a shambles it all is.

When Blatter pops his clogs I expect to be brought in for questioning.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
libreg wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

As a matter of interest, how old are you, what was your sport before futbol and why Bolton?
I'm 15. I "liked" american football before, but I was never very interested in it. It was more of a "you have to pick a team" type of thing. Everybody supported the NY jets, or NY giants. So I just followed along. I picked bolton because when I started liking football, I didn't want to be a glory hunter (top 3), and because I knew three players from Bolton. Nakata, Giannakopolous, and Borgetti. Stelios is the only one left now, but I couldn't leave the team behind, I was too attached to it. Even if they get relegated, and I can't watch them on the tv, I don't think I'll be able to leave them now. As for why I didn't give a second glance at football back then, I think it's pretty obvious. I was 2 :grin:
About the new rotational policy, I think it's pretty convenient that they decided to do this right before it came to the concacaf region. They obviously couldn't wait to get back to Europe. Weren't Europeans content with hosting 98 and 06? They want more? Nevertheless, if USA can't win the bid in 2018, I hope England wins it, for obvious reasons. Such as, it's an English speaking country. I want to be able to go and communicate with other people there.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:49 pm

libreg wrote:
libreg wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

I'm 15. I "liked" american football before, but I was never very interested in it. It was more of a "you have to pick a team" type of thing. Everybody supported the NY jets, or NY giants. So I just followed along. I picked bolton because when I started liking football, I didn't want to be a glory hunter (top 3), and because I knew three players from Bolton. Nakata, Giannakopolous, and Borgetti. Stelios is the only one left now, but I couldn't leave the team behind, I was too attached to it. Even if they get relegated, and I can't watch them on the tv, I don't think I'll be able to leave them now. As for why I didn't give a second glance at football back then, I think it's pretty obvious. I was 2 :grin:
About the new rotational policy, I think it's pretty convenient that they decided to do this right before it came to the concacaf region. They obviously couldn't wait to get back to Europe. Weren't Europeans content with hosting 98 and 06? They want more? Nevertheless, if USA can't win the bid in 2018, I hope England wins it, for obvious reasons. Such as, it's an English speaking country. I want to be able to go and communicate with other people there.
Welcome aboard. Small point of order: it's "us", not "them" :wink: I like yer reasons for supporting BWFC, although I wonder how you knew of Stelios - Euro 2004, p'raps?

OK, here's the deal with rotation. It was brought in, entirely coincidentally, when Sepp Blatter needed votes to retain his big comfy seat at the head of FIFA's trough, sorry, table. Accordingly, 2010 was awarded to Africa with the promise of more rotation to come, and Uncle Sepp got an awfy lot of votes from the li'l federations, and Uncle Sepp won.

EDIT
PS is Bradley (yer avatar) the bloke who scored from the centre circle in the last week of the regular season?

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:43 pm

libreg wrote:
libreg wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:1994.

Welcome aboard. Small point of order: it's "us", not "them" :wink: I like yer reasons for supporting BWFC, although I wonder how you knew of Stelios - Euro 2004, p'raps?

OK, here's the deal with rotation. It was brought in, entirely coincidentally, when Sepp Blatter needed votes to retain his big comfy seat at the head of FIFA's trough, sorry, table. Accordingly, 2010 was awarded to Africa with the promise of more rotation to come, and Uncle Sepp got an awfy lot of votes from the li'l federations, and Uncle Sepp won.

EDIT
PS is Bradley (yer avatar) the bloke who scored from the centre circle in the last week of the regular season?
I knew of Stelios because not only am I American.....
I'm Greek American :o But to be honest I don't like Stelios anymore. I think he's past his age, we might as well have sold him to sheffield utd. But who knows, he can regain his form with hard work.
Ahh, I see, so good ol' sepp just wanted to keep power? I always hated him.
No, that was Michael Parkhust. Michael Bradley is the US international, who I believe is 20 years of age. He plays for SC Heereeven now, in the dutch league. He's one of my favorite players, because neither Ronaldinho or Kaka could get past him, whenever he challenged them. And besides, he used to be a metrostar :D I'm one of the people that wants to make him a defender instead of a defensive midfielder, because USA's second defender, Onyewu, is careless.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:05 pm

libreg wrote:No, that was Michael Parkhust. Michael Bradley is the US international, who I believe is 20 years of age. He plays for SC Heereeven now, in the dutch league. He's one of my favorite players, because neither Ronaldinho or Kaka could get past him, whenever he challenged them. And besides, he used to be a metrostar :D I'm one of the people that wants to make him a defender instead of a defensive midfielder, because USA's second defender, Onyewu, is careless.
Is that 'Gooch'? Our H. Pedersen strongly believed BWFC should go for him, but he didn't settle in at all well at Newcastle... where, if he's a careless defender, he should've fitted like a glove! :wink:

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:03 am

libreg wrote:No, that was Michael Parkhust. Michael Bradley is the US international, who I believe is 20 years of age. He plays for SC Heereeven now, in the dutch league. He's one of my favorite players, because neither Ronaldinho or Kaka could get past him, whenever he challenged them. And besides, he used to be a metrostar :D I'm one of the people that wants to make him a defender instead of a defensive midfielder, because USA's second defender, Onyewu, is careless.
Is that 'Gooch'? Our H. Pedersen strongly believed BWFC should go for him, but he didn't settle in at all well at Newcastle... where, if he's a careless defender, he should've fitted like a glove! :wink:
I see what you did there :doh:
Yeah.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:28 am

:pissed: :pissed: :pissed: