England v Croatia thread

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 pm

Carragher on talksport "If england need me i'll be there"

just not when it's a bit cold and rainy eh?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:28 pm

blurred wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:
blurred wrote:I hope Jamie Carragher was sat at home watching that and laughing his cock off.
I don't - i hope he was thinking " i'm not gonna be a part of anything like that, when i pull on an England shirt i'm gonna die for it"
Well seeing as he's retired from international football after being fecked around for many a year I don't think he'll be thinking that at all...
One man's being fecked around for many a year is another mans under performs whilst wearing an England shirt.
Businesswoman of the year.

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:28 pm

I've only had 4 bottles so am not pissed (i'm not from Bromley Cross), but i'm totally pissed off, can't believe the ineptitude of England from top to bottom.

It was Croatia or Hrvatska whatever they're called this week, and whilst i know they are technically good, they've always been technically good. So why not just do what we've always done and steamroller these teams into submission by ripping them to shreds from the first minute to the last, show some passion, some fight, make wearing the England colours MEAN something again.
Yes we all know you're on more a week than most of us earn in a year, but that's irrelevant.

This isn't your club who paid x amount of dosh for you and you probably hated as a kid, this is England FFS, do you not know what it means to the rest of us?

I'd crawl over 3 miles of broken glass to have had the chance to play for my country no matter how much i was on.

Pride, Passion, Belief? I didn't see any tonight. MoM? Crouch for me. Gerrard? I'll leave the question mark there cos it just about sums him up. Alan Mullery just been on sky saying Lampard played well, must be having a pint after the show with old Frankie Snr. cos thats the only reason he could have said it.

Wayne bridge????? feck* Orlando bridge could play better than him.

McLaren, just feck off you embarassing, water drinking, straw haired, tactically inept, passionless feck*.

When is the draw for the World Cup? I hope we get at least 6 teams that end in ...nia or we're bolloxed for that as well.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Jose would have brought on another striker after 15min as soon as we went 0 2 down.

No balls in international management.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:31 pm

Batman wrote:Jose would have brought on another striker after 15min as soon as we went 0 2 down.
Nah, he'd've just stuck a centre half up front...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 pm

blurred wrote:I hope Jamie Carragher was sat at home watching that and laughing his cock off.
At the Laurel and Hardy-esque performances of Gerrard and Carson? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:36 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:One man's being fecked around for many a year is another mans under performs whilst wearing an England shirt.
Is another man's playing a centre half anywhere but centre half, and preferring donkeys like Ledley King or Jonathan Woodgate over someone infinitely better on a regular basis.

I'm glad England are out - I love the schadenfreude of it all.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:41 pm

blurred wrote: I'm glad England are out - I love the schadenfreude of it all.
Well, something you won't understand is the sense of natural attachment on the grounds of you never having met it's acquaintance. Your comments come as no surprise. No doubt you've selected Brazil as your team of choice when it comes to international footie. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Amazing. I missed much of the second half and got out of the car just after we made it 2-2, then I thought we had scraped through and been very lucky yet we still blew it.

We were lucky that Russia's goal at Wembley was incorrectly disallowed.
We were lucky when Israel beat Russia.
We were lucky when we got a penalty tonight that many officials would have missed.
We were lucky when Bridge hit the bar, then the header from the corner hit Carson.

And still we blew it.

Looking at the tonights team though, only Gerrard is above average as an international class player, and the likes of Bridge, Carson (or any of our keepers), Wright Phillips are IMO out of their depth at this level. So it is not surprising we struggle - we think we are far better than we are, and when you add the pressure that the press puts on the manager and the team, we are going to struggle against competent, organised teams.

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:44 pm

blurred wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:One man's being fecked around for many a year is another mans under performs whilst wearing an England shirt.
Is another man's playing a centre half anywhere but centre half, and preferring donkeys like Ledley King or Jonathan Woodgate over someone infinitely better on a regular basis.

Whilst I think Carragher is an alehouse clogger, i'm with you in terms of the schadenfreude

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:45 pm

Looking at the tonights team though, only Gerrard is above average as an international class player, and the likes of Bridge, Carson (or any of our keepers), Wright Phillips are IMO out of their depth at this level. So it is not surprising we struggle - we think we are far better than we are, and when you add the pressure that the press puts on the manager and the team, we are going to struggle against competent, organised teams.
You see, what on earth has Gerrard done to make you think that?
Last edited by Tombwfc on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:46 pm

blurred wrote:

Blurred, come on - Carragher wasn't playing centre half when any degree of regularity until he was at least 26!

And I don't care if he's the best centre half that's ever walked the planet - making yourself unavailable for your country as a reaction to not being picked/being played in your non-favoured position gets a huge thimbs down from me.

And I can't put it much stronger than that! :P
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Batman

Post by Batman » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Can anyone tell me who that tosser is who sits next to mcclaren and venables?

some bloke who looks about 25, carries a clipboard and seems to do F all?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:00 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
blurred wrote:

Blurred, come on - Carragher wasn't playing centre half when any degree of regularity until he was at least 26!

And I don't care if he's the best centre half that's ever walked the planet - making yourself unavailable for your country as a reaction to not being picked/being played in your non-favoured position gets a huge thimbs down from me.

Really ?

You can't ??

Can I offer you lessons ???
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

bobo the clown wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
blurred wrote:

Really ?

You can't ??

Can I offer you lessons ???
:roll:

I was taking the piss out of myself once I realised how weakly I'd phrased it.

:?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:35 am

Croatia manager Slaven Bilic said, rather than wrote: Wake up. You didn't lose the game because of the tactics.

We're simply a better team. I admire your team and your players but my team is a much better team.

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:36 am

He isn't wrong

libreg
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by libreg » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:02 am

I feel sorry for you guys. You are so out of place. You're manager, lack of heart from many players, tactics...
Yeah.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:13 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
blurred wrote: I'm glad England are out - I love the schadenfreude of it all.
Well, something you won't understand is the sense of natural attachment on the grounds of you never having met it's acquaintance. Your comments come as no surprise. No doubt you've selected Brazil as your team of choice when it comes to international footie. :roll:
I don't really have a team of choice in international footie - I find it's largely far inferior to the higher club levels of the game, even at the top end of competitions. I've never been that arsed with England to be honest. I'll watch 'em if they're on and I'll cheer if they score a goal but I have absolutely no emotional involvement invested in them, that's what my club side is for.

There's so many reasons not to like England, and barring a quirk of Geography little reason to actively support them.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:18 am

Got up this morning at 6-30 and put the TV on to see that there was a live football game on. A Team all in White was playing some other Team in Blue.

The Team in White played loads of long balls won by the Blue Team defenders, long throws into the penalty area again won by Blue Team Defenders, loads of misplaced passes as well as some comical defending mix ups by the Team in White, they also showed panic whenever the more skillful and faster Team in Blue got the ball, I WAS CONFUSED. :?

It couldn't be a Premiership game as no one plays in Blue shirts with red and white squares under the arms, and surely Bolton weren't playing their next UEFA Cup game until next week, or was it the week after, I was now even more confused!! :? :? But the White team were losing 3-2 at home with 10 minutes to go and running round like headless chickens, playing a useless and wastful long ball game, surely it must be a Bolton game? :roll:

Then, the camera turned to the fool of a manager of the White team standing under a red and blue umbrella with TheFA.com on it, to keep his hair dry I guess or was he just hiding from the growd. Then the penny dropped! :evil:

What a fiasco, after the final whistle it showed the highlights and all the goals. Surely that was the Bolton defence making all those silly mistakes, but no, Jussi wouldn't have let those first two goals in even with Meite and co opening up like a sales day at Harrods.

Bolton are poor but England were dismal yesterday showing that we don't really have any world class players anymore and that manager well he's just pathetic. I'm going to start a Megson for England thread, at least he would have got the draw that we needed last night. :oops:
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED