The Munich Silence

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Should a Minutes silence be observed under any circumstances?

Yes - people have died, end of
88%
No - There are some people whom I would not observe this for
5%
No - there are some teams of whom I would not respect their request
8%

Total votes: 40

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

The Munich Silence

Post by fatshaft » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Have had an ongoing verbal ding dong with a few Man City fans on a non-football forum about this weekend's upcoming minute's silence for the Munich disaster.

Basically my line is that it's common human decency to observe the silence as a mark of respect for those who died so tragically. Not for a second would I think otherwise even if it was Aberdeen v Rangers and there was a minutes silence to observe the Ibrox disaster.

The opposing line is that it is their greatest enemy and it's nothing more than propoganda that Man City are being asked to observe this.

I just find it crass, but I'd be interested in how many would be for or against the Man City view?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Voted that it should be respected, but have to say that the shameless way Utd (and their friends in the media) perpetuate the myth that this is the worst tragedy in football is nothing short of disgraceful.

There have been numerous other tragedies (both football and non-football) and to attempt to introduce a hierarchy or pecking order into these shows up 'that club' for the charlatans they are.

For gods sake, let them rest in peace, and stop raking over the coals for commercial ends.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:30 pm

[potential paradox]

if they dont keep quiet and it kicks off and some city fan dies in the ruck , will we all be forced to do 'a silence' the next week for the dead blue ?

[/potential paradox]

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:53 am

Sorry, knock that 1 off for the 2nd one down, clumsily clicked the wrong option.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 am

Lord Kangana wrote:Voted that it should be respected, but have to say that the shameless way Utd (and their friends in the media) perpetuate the myth that this is the worst tragedy in football is nothing short of disgraceful.

There have been numerous other tragedies (both football and non-football) and to attempt to introduce a hierarchy or pecking order into these shows up 'that club' for the charlatans they are.

For gods sake, let them rest in peace, and stop raking over the coals for commercial ends.
All of what the good Lord said, but worded better than I could.
May the bridges I burn light your way

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Voted that it should be respected, but have to say that the shameless way Utd (and their friends in the media) perpetuate the myth that this is the worst tragedy in football is nothing short of disgraceful.

All of what the good Lord said, but worded better than I could.
Same here, it was a tragedy respect it, but no worse than others that have befallen football clubs that get very little media attention - our own included on the 9th March 1946

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:26 am

I have every respect for those who died, fine polite young footballers who lived in digs and played excellent football; their type is missed.

I have no respect for the club who cold-shouldered the grieving relatives, refusing to help them, out financially, and continues to make lots of cold hard cash out of the disaster.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:57 am

Not sure the questions shouldn't include "Whether we should have the thing in the first place".

I would respect it if it occurred regardless of team involved. So if it's going to happen then yes.

I don't believe we should have as many as we seem to be having at the moment. The guy that died in Scotland before Christmas - absolutely correct to recognise what he'd given to the game. Something that happened 50 years ago - time to move on.

Living in Manchester and being generally surrounded by RedShite, it's like they're after the Professional Mourners Cup off the scousers. There's going to be a - wait for it 48 page - supplement in the MEN. It's on the fecking telly most nights this week. I suspect if I go to the pub when the game's on, they'd want me to shut up for a minute there too - It's like it's fecking Armistice Day. Now for people to really remember what it was like at the time, they're going to generally have to be at least 60-65, but instead of letting it pass, they're handing it over to the next generation, all the time perpetuating the unproven fact that we lost the greatest team in the world ever.

Just so any casual browser doesn't think I'm getting at ManUre fans here, I have to say I'm not one for professional mourning anyhow - my mam and dad are still with me anytime I need em - they're certainly not resident in some cemetary and definately not at a football ground (although me dad is resident at the other Old Trafford). Feck me - get over it - and move on with your life.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:12 am

There's no question it was a tragedy. Very sad & is due respect, but I'm of the view that we can't, constantly, year after year have this lead to the silence.

It's 50 years now & it should be let go, until in 50 years time it's 100 years.

On the overall point of minutes silences, there are no so many that we must be considering having one before each game. They need rationing & held only for truly monumental events.

Mind you, some games at the Reebok it seems we have a 90m silence.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:17 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

Superga - Torino 1949. Now that was a disaster. I visited the crash site when I was in Turin a couple of years ago.

A very moving and somewhat spooky experience. The Superga Basilica sits on a large hill overlooking the city. The plane's point of impact was right at the back of the church, at the foot of the outer wall.

Torino did not cash in on the tragedy. Today they are the Manchester City of Turin, way behind Juventus - but seemingly with more local support.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:56 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

Superga - Torino 1949. Now that was a disaster. I visited the crash site when I was in Turin a couple of years ago.

A very moving and somewhat spooky experience. The Superga Basilica sits on a large hill overlooking the city. The plane's point of impact was right at the back of the church, at the foot of the outer wall.

Torino did not cash in on the tragedy. Today they are the Manchester City of Turin, way behind Juventus - but seemingly with more local support.
I'm embarressed to say, I'd never heard of this before. :oops:

It does put the Munich "celebrations" into perspective though.

minibus
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by minibus » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambia_nat ... r_disaster

Ex-Wanderer Ian Porterfield had the job of re-building the team after this. :pissed: :twisted:

Only 15 years ago, but how many column inches has this loss (of an entire nation's finest) seen? :(

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Like others on here, would happily respect the minute's silence but can't stand the media hype. It only means something to the families and friends of the deceased, not every ten-year-old kid in a red shirt carrying placards for something most of their parents don't even remember. It's a Manchester thing, leave them to it; if they choose to make profit on a tragedy then on their own conciences be it. Tragedies occur every day of our lives; respect the memories but don't make a circus out of them.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 pm

To be fair though, Man U are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Imagine the outcry if they refused to have the minutes silence.
Businesswoman of the year.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:30 pm

Speaking from a personal point of view grief has always been and will continue to be a private matter. What happened 50 years ago was certainly a tragedy, but this should be respected with a simple church service with members of the victim's families and SELECT representatives of MUFC.

The serialisation of personal accounts in this week's mirror are proof positive that they regard this tragedy above others and I am heartily sick of it. We've all encountered tragedy in our lives, must most of us don't want the fact advertised on 50 foot long hoardings.

Expecting the fans of Man City to observe a minutes silence is setting both sides to fail. Just play the game in a manner befitting ie, committed, fair and honest. That will show respect.

This isn't an anti Manchester United post, either, I'm just sick and tired of the media bandwagon around stuff like this. Let it be.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Personally I think a minute's silence to remember the victims of a specific air accident is patently absurd. There have been far worse losses of life in boats, aircraft, acts of war, terrorist attacks, etc. etc. Do we hold a minute of silence for all these victims? We would be doing it several times a day, every day. This has nothing to do with respect for those who died including Duncan Edwards, one of the rising stars of his generation and for whom I had great respect. It has nothing to do with it being Man United, for whom I don't feel the same vehemence as others on this board. It is just silly. We could I suppose pick one day for a minute's silence for all victims of air crashes like we pick one day for the military no matter what day they died on. That might make a little more sense and not take up so much time. How about air crash remembrance day on the anniversary of Lockerby?

I didn't find an option on the poll I could vote for.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Personally I think a minute's silence to remember the victims of a specific air accident is patently absurd. There have been far worse losses of life in boats, aircraft, acts of war, terrorist attacks, etc. etc. Do we hold a minute of silence for all these victims? We would be doing it several times a day, every day. This has nothing to do with respect for those who died including Duncan Edwards, one of the rising stars of his generation and for whom I had great respect. It has nothing to do with it being Man United, for whom I don't feel the same vehemence as others on this board. It is just silly. We could I suppose pick one day for a minute's silence for all victims of air crashes like we pick one day for the military no matter what day they died on. That might make a little more sense and not take up so much time. How about air crash remembrance day on the anniversary of Lockerby?

I didn't find an option on the poll I could vote for.
I was not going to comment on the thread, just wanted to see where it'd go.

But I must say while I understand the 50 years ago and all that, Man U are holding the minutes silence becasue it was a football tragedy pertinent to them. Of course we wouldn;t be holding silences for every tragedy, becuase most have nothing to do with a specific football club.

Put another way, people are killed on the roads all the time, and Bolton doesn't hold a minutes silence/applause for them all, but they did a few weeks ago for the two lads who worked for the club - because it was pertinent.

So no, there probably isn't an option for you to vote, because that wasn't the question that I asked.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:43 pm

Man City have one day per season that they remember their departed players/coaches/etc on, which I think is a good way of doing it.

I wrote at length on the idea of the minutes silence some time ago on here (around the time George Best carked it, I believe). It's certainly a curious phenomenon.

reddy!
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by reddy! » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm

Of course it should, the Busby Babes were an amazing set of players, and were a credit te Enlgish Football, anyone that 'enjoys' a chant about their deaths should rightly have his head caved in.

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:16 pm

Media-hungry pricks that United are.
Why didn't they do this 50yrs ago?

F ucking shameful.