UEFA Cup tonight

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:The bars of Manchester are stocking up on Buckie as we speak. I think I might move away for a month.
Aye, a load of rampaging, skirt wearing, drunken Scots causing havoc in the city centre.
It'll be like a scene from a St Trinians movie.
GMP will have fun anyway, as long as they don't confuse the marauding Huns with the 'high jinks' Tartan Army.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 02, 2008 10:48 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:The bars of Manchester are stocking up on Buckie as we speak. I think I might move away for a month.
Aye, a load of rampaging, skirt wearing, drunken Scots causing havoc in the city centre.
It'll be like a scene from a St Trinians movie.
Is Mel Gibson offering to lead the invasion?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri May 02, 2008 2:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Pretty mediocre stuff, bags of cheating and card waving by the Fioros. Ranger sent off for touching foreheads, Fioro player went down like a bag of. Can't see Rangers beating Zenit on that display. Sorry Fatshaft. :oops:
? Image

Last game of the season, Aberdeen v Rangers at Pittodrie. Quadruple, you're having a laugh!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

fatshaft wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Pretty mediocre stuff, bags of cheating and card waving by the Fioros. Ranger sent off for touching foreheads, Fioro player went down like a bag of. Can't see Rangers beating Zenit on that display. Sorry Fatshaft. :oops:
? Image

Last game of the season, Aberdeen v Rangers at Pittodrie. Quadruple, you're having a laugh!
I was simply using your Royal Scottishness. :mrgreen:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Don't rub it in Tango, He's probably embarassed enough as it is!! :wink:

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 4:03 pm

Well i shall be in Manchester on Wednesday the 14th, had a fantastic night last night cheering on the Gers, like Fatshaft i'm a dual team supporter, regularly visit Ibrox and have followed them to Europe already this season.

We are recognisable by nature of usually being draped in a Union Flag with the words 'Bolton Loyal' emblazoned across it.

Admittedly not a pretty team to watch but spirit and determination can get you a long way in this game, as hopefully we'll find out tomorrow evening.

Zenit are a formidable side and destroyed Bayern yesterday with some superb attacking football, so Rangers will have to be at their very best to overcome them.

Whatever the outcome, they have fought bravely to be where they are and IMO deserve it.

btw Matt, 'Huns' is an extremely offensive term to a Rangers supporter, as offensive as the word 'pie-eater' to a Leyther i would imagine.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 02, 2008 4:08 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:We are recognisable by nature of usually being draped in a Union Flag
You'll be easy to pick out :mrgreen:

Good luck vs ZSP, WA

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 4:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:We are recognisable by nature of usually being draped in a Union Flag

Good luck vs ZSP, WA
Cheers DSB, much appreciated. :wink:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Don't feel too privileged - I always support UK sides in Europe, except one (and it isn't Celtic) :wink:

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Don't feel too privileged - I always support UK sides in Europe, except one (and it isn't Celtic) :wink:
Well you named one of the ones i won't support, i'm guessing we share the other one :)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:We are recognisable by nature of usually being draped in a Union Flag with the words 'Bolton Loyal' emblazoned across it.
Are English fans like you who basically support Rangers for sectarian reasons completely accepted by your average Glaswegian Rangers fan?

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 7:25 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:We are recognisable by nature of usually being draped in a Union Flag with the words 'Bolton Loyal' emblazoned across it.
Are English fans like you who basically support Rangers for sectarian reasons completely accepted by your average Glaswegian Rangers fan?
Yes

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 02, 2008 8:16 pm

Good luck vs ZSP, WA
Aye, I'll throw one in too. Better a side off the island than one from Lubiankaville. Best of. :wink:

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 8:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:

Good luck vs ZSP, WA
Aye, I'll throw one in too. Better a side off the island than one from Lubiankaville. Best of. :wink:
Cheers TD :D

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 02, 2008 9:03 pm

fatshaft wrote:Last game of the season, Aberdeen v Rangers at Pittodrie. Quadruple, you're having a laugh!
Hoping the Hibs will put a similar dent in their aspirations on Sunday :)
WhiteArmy wrote:btw Matt, 'Huns' is an extremely offensive term to a Rangers supporter, as offensive as the word 'pie-eater' to a Leyther i would imagine.
I'm sure it is mate, but I'm sure I'm not the only person on this board who will be safely in the "I hate Rangers" camp.

And, no, I'm not a Celtic sympathiser either.

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 9:22 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
fatshaft wrote:Last game of the season, Aberdeen v Rangers at Pittodrie. Quadruple, you're having a laugh!
WhiteArmy wrote:btw Matt, 'Huns' is an extremely offensive term to a Rangers supporter, as offensive as the word 'pie-eater' to a Leyther i would imagine.
I'm sure it is mate, but I'm sure I'm not the only person on this board who will be safely in the "I hate Rangers" camp.

Really? Hmmmm, thought it was a Bolton forum, obviously you'll have to enlighten me as to why so many British football supporters would hate a football club who champion Britishness.

Hate is a word i use sparingly, usually for things i hate to be honest. I wonder what woud make you hate Rangers as obviously as you've stated, you're not a Celtic sympathiser.

Fatshaft is an avid follower of the Dons and his loathing of Rangers and to be fair to him, the Old Firm in general, is understandable, but i just can't for the life of me think why you would?

This board is throwing up more and more surprises the longer i go on here ;)

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 02, 2008 9:26 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:

Really? Hmmmm, thought it was a Bolton forum, obviously you'll have to enlighten me as to why so many British football supporters would hate a football club who champion Britishness.

Hate is a word i use sparingly, usually for things i hate to be honest. I wonder what woud make you hate Rangers as obviously as you've stated, you're not a Celtic sympathiser.

Fatshaft is an avid follower of the Dons and his loathing of Rangers and to be fair to him, the Old Firm in general, is understandable, but i just can't for the life of me think why you would?

Getting gobbed on for being a 'Fenian' (despite being Church of England!) at Easter Road by Rangers fans probably aided my hatred of them, but to be honest it's actually generally football-related as to why I hate them (the general pillaging of any good player to emerge at a non-OF club, though Celtic are just as guilty); just a shame that both Rangers and Celtic can't let the football do the talking instead of recreating Belfast on Marching Day every other week.

WhiteArmy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by WhiteArmy » Fri May 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Leyther_Matt wrote:
WhiteArmy wrote:
Leyther_Matt wrote:

Getting gobbed on for being a 'Fenian' (despite being Church of England!) at Easter Road by Rangers fans probably aided my hatred of them, but to be honest it's actually generally football-related as to why I hate them (the general pillaging of any good player to emerge at a non-OF club, though Celtic are just as guilty); just a shame that both Rangers and Celtic can't let the football do the talking instead of recreating Belfast on Marching Day every other week.
Don't judge them all on stuff like that Matt, some of my very best and oldest friends are catholics, and most of them support Celtic, the only argument we have is how much the bet was at the beginning of the season on who beats who.

Strangely a similar thing happened to my mate Craig Johnson, who is also a Hibs fan :shock: and also C of E.

Most football fans are just that and unfortunately the 50,000 who go to Ibrox and behave and support the team aren't the ones who make the headlines.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 02, 2008 10:48 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:Most football fans are just that and unfortunately the 50,000 who go to Ibrox and behave and support the team aren't the ones who make the headlines.
:?

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat May 03, 2008 3:15 pm

WhiteArmy wrote:
I'm treading very carefully here becasue we had a rather heated discussion with you about this many months ago.

But look at it another way, how much hatred do you reserve for your Guildford based Utd fans, or your Midlands Liverpool fans? The same is true, in fact arguably more so in Scotland, with coachloads from all over the country heading out of their towns and villages each week to watch the old firm. Not saying we don't hate the real Neds as well of course :wink:

Although in fairness it's the ones who've never set foot in Glasgow, never mind Celtic Park or Castle Greyskull that really winds everyone up, just as it is down here in England with the mass of glory hunters surrounding Man U/Liverpool & Chelsea. I work in Leamington with 3 "Liverpool" fans who could be supporting Coventry (all are from Cov), but yet these never been to Anfield lads spend many hours discussing "we" & "us" in regards to the red side of Merseyside.

I fecking hate that more than anything about football.

That said, good luck in the final, you'll be surprised to learn that I am torn between wanting Rangers to win or not. It would be an easy choice if I was still in Scotland, but I've been amazed at the scorn with which Scottish football is treated down here, so I'd love to see a Scottish European win to make the doubters think twice, or maybe I wouldn't? :?