England v Damn Yankees

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

England v Damn Yankees

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 7:38 pm

No offence meant ,you citizens of "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave" (great quote I read somewhere about that:
"It's only Land of the Free because of the Brave")......Anyway. How are you reading this one?

Bit of pride at stake here methinks. Bolton had a real bad season but survived because they're fighters. England had a shxt season and didn't survive because they were'n't. Doesn't mean either are rubbish from going through a bad patch, although I've had more grumbles about the nationals than the home boys. Time to start climbing back up the mountain?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 28, 2008 8:00 pm

I just want us to win so we can finally get some closure on the Boston Tea Party.

COME ON!
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:00 pm

More properly the damn Yanks. The Damn Yankees are pretty much always a NY American League team which people either love or hate. Most, like me, hate them. In a way I'd like the US to win so people here wouldn't pour so much scorn on American members when they say an American player is a good prospect. Yet, I will always pull for England against them and, frankly, cannot see how we could lose this one.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 28, 2008 8:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: Yet, I will always pull for England.
Shouldn't that be in the 'SKD Gets Married' thread? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:03 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:I just want us to win so we can finally get some closure on the Boston Tea Party.

COME ON!
I thought we got closure when we burnt Washington thirty or forty years later. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: Yet, I will always pull for England.
Shouldn't that be in the 'SKD Gets Married' thread? :conf:
Hmmm, I'm sorry I'm not up to date on the latest UK slang and slipped into a North Americanism. Apologies. :oops:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 28, 2008 8:06 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:I just want us to win so we can finally get some closure on the Boston Tea Party.

COME ON!
I thought we got closure when we burnt Washington thirty or forty years later. :wink:
That was revenge not closure. :P

Plus we still owe them one for the whole Tab Clear thing.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:More properly the damn Yanks. The Damn Yankees are pretty much always a NY American League team which people either love or hate. Most, like me, hate them. In a way I'd like the US to win so people here wouldn't pour so much scorn on American members when they say an American player is a good prospect. Yet, I will always pull for England against them and, frankly, cannot see how we could lose this one.
Well said, and my sentiments as well.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 28, 2008 8:49 pm

1-0 To the Empire.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed May 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Shocking game. Beckham is a class above, Defoe is several classes below.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Good job Mel Gibson's not playing. He'd be running round the pitch waving Old Glory and we'd be about six down by now. :wink:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Not sure what Rooney's doing. Great going forward, some class touches but too wide most of the time. Also appears in full back positions. Is he trying to be Kev Davies?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: In a way I'd like the US to win so people here wouldn't pour so much scorn on American members when they say an American player is a good prospect.
I think that you need to balance that, or that we need to balance that, with American members thinking that because the likes of Coby Jones got a few games for Coventry that he was automatically as good as George Best.
May the bridges I burn light your way

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 28, 2008 9:24 pm

2-0. Yippee!!

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 pm

i got bored of the game very quickly, have to say

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 9:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: In a way I'd like the US to win so people here wouldn't pour so much scorn on American members when they say an American player is a good prospect.
I think that you need to balance that, or that we need to balance that, with American members thinking that because the likes of Coby Jones got a few games for Coventry that he was automatically as good as George Best.
Well, Bruce, I don't actually recall that ludicrous assertion. I was thinking more along the lines of suggestions that BWFC should consider this or that whizz kid, followed by a barrage of scorn (doubtless merited to some degree) which often degenerated into general US bashing. Granted some of our American posters show unwarranted enthusiasm and a degree of naivety (I'm afraid I share the latter to some extent), but on occasion it seemed to me the response could be more measured. Balance in all things, of course. :wink:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed May 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, Bruce, I don't actually recall that ludicrous assertion. I was thinking more along the lines of suggestions that BWFC should consider this or that whizz kid, followed by a barrage of scorn (doubtless merited to some degree) which often degenerated into general US bashing. Granted some of our American posters show unwarranted enthusiasm and a degree of naivety (I'm afraid I share the latter to some extent), but on occasion it seemed to me the response could be more measured. Balance in all things, of course. :wink:
Again, Monty is the voice of reason today.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

And Wayne Rooney is a cockend and all.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:And Wayne Rooney is a cockend and all.
Certainly no argument there - should have had another yellow and all.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Rooney, a combination of a God-given talent, some sublime skill and the mentality and appearence of a petulant, playground bully. Sad. Do wish he'd grow up and just play football.

Thought Terry showed great commitment and even Cashley had a decent game ( a couple of idiotic "beat-em-twice moments that could have been costly). James had two saves to make and made them well, apart from that was a spectator.
Ben Johnson looks a prospect and Wes Brown isn't quite there yet although improving. Gareth Barry made a marked difference when he came on and Gerard had a decent game. Might wish that just once in these sort of games we'd put out our best side and let them play rather than all the musical substitutions. Crouch was a bit innefective but the American defence did quite well overall. The Yank team had nothing to be ashamed of and the crowd went home happy. Not much else to say.