T&T v England

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

T&T v England

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:29 pm

Despite the lateness of the hour (before a work morning) I'll be watching. What's the view on Fabio naming Beckham as captain?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:55 pm

See Fab is rotating captaincy still. For me though Becks isn't in the long term England plan, whereas Terry or Rio are (imho). Be happier if it were one of them tbh.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm

For Becks to be one of the four potential captains, he must be in the long term plan. No problem with that at all - I reckon he can make it until the 2010 World Cup. The desire is certainly still there, and the candidates for his right-wing berth haven't done enough yet to suggest that he should be replaced.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm amused but only because it makes the big hoo-ha the media made about Rio emerging from his misdemeanour-led past into England captain the biggest non-story of the year. Hell, even I fancy my chances at skippering my country at this moment in time.

Will watch first half and then likely turn off as it will be shit and I'll be saying "why, why, why did I even think it would be worth 45 minutes of my life".

White Army
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by White Army » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Beckham deserves the captaincy, even if it's just for sentimental reasons. He drives the team forward when he's on form.

He was one of the better players v USA and deserves a place in the starting line up regardless.

Agree with Verbal though, i can't see him lasting until 2010 but you never know. He's staying relatively injury free atm and he's always been a true pro and looked after himself (just been discussing Gascoigne on the Rangers forum, the difference is remarkable), so maybe he'll make it.

Good luck to the lad whatever happens, he's always given his all for the shirt even sometimes misguidedly.
Halliwell Mile done 228 times.

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:10 pm

Agreed with most of the comments on here. Beckham 2010 I think will barring injury will be part of the set up. He may only be a bit part player come then but he'll still have the best right foot in English football.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 pm

wovlad wrote:Agreed with most of the comments on here. Beckham 2010 I think will barring injury will be part of the set up. He may only be a bit part player come then but he'll still have the best right foot in English football.
Can it just be me that thinks he's having a mare tonight? Not sharp at all and giving some very sloppy balls away. Mind you, in 87 degrees and playing on green-painted concrete can't be too easy.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
wovlad wrote:Agreed with most of the comments on here. Beckham 2010 I think will barring injury will be part of the set up. He may only be a bit part player come then but he'll still have the best right foot in English football.
Can it just be me that thinks he's having a mare tonight? Not sharp at all and giving some very sloppy balls away. Mind you, in 87 degrees and playing on green-painted concrete can't be too easy.
Becks hasn't looked at his best, but I still think his ability and experience have a part to play in the England set-up in the next couple of years - theres no immediate candidate whose performances demand inclusion, highlighting the paucity of potential replacements.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Mark Bright truly the worst commentator in the history of man.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Any XI English players at Bolton could probably beat these men, just absolutely awful compared what they were in the world cup.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:55 pm

Least Joe Hart is adding some comedy value...

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:26 am

One thing learnt over the last two games is how shite our forwards are without Owen or Rooney. Defoe may have scored two, but he missed about a dozen other chances.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 am

Downing and Bridge linked up well in the first half with Barry being the other player of any note. Beckham was absolute crap yet again.

In the 2nd half I can't remember anyone playing particularly well. I know the pitch was great and the heat a problem but that was just not good enough.

qwertywarrior
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by qwertywarrior » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:22 am

becks shouldnt be on the pitch never mind captain

why rotate has beens when there is so much young talent to bring on for the world cup

now is the time for the debuts to mark their place

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:25 am

jmjhb wrote:Mark Bright truly the worst commentator in the history of man.
He's terrible. The way he speaks you'd think he was a world-beater as a player. "I can't believe they're not closing down" Can you not Mark? Can you not consider the possibility that these 11 men from these two tiny Islands aren't as defensively apt as say European Champions Manchester United. Shame on them

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 am

qwertywarrior wrote:becks shouldnt be on the pitch never mind captain
why rotate has beens when there is so much young talent to bring on for the world cup
You shouldn't be so free with the "has- beens". Most good sides are a balance of older experienced players plus a younger up and coming element. Youth alone won't do it. The best club players sometimes don't look quite so good on a world stage. Beckham isn't as sharp as he was (and he didn't have a good game last night) but he'll play some part, even if not a major one.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:28 pm

qwertywarrior wrote:becks shouldnt be on the pitch never mind captain

You mean like Bentley DIDN'T do against the USA?