Hughes For City???

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The-Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Hughes For City???

Post by The-Wanderer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Just heard of the BBC that Blackburn have let Hughes speak to City over the job?!

Will Blackburn go downhill after he leaves??

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Hughes For City???

Post by malcd1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:43 pm

The-Wanderer wrote:Just heard of the BBC that Blackburn have let Hughes speak to City over the job?!

Will Blackburn go downhill after he leaves??
It all depends who they get in if Hughes does go to city.

I think Fatty Allardyce would do a good job for them.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 pm

For the life of me I can't understand why he would do it, expecially given that Chelsea are rumored to be interested in his services. I suppose the money would be attractive but it's looking like he'll have to do yet another full rebuild of the squad. Sven did well given the team he inherited and still got the sack. Hughes should be smart enough to know it will be the same for him.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:28 pm

I'd love him to go there.

Then, in a year, be in the same spot Sven is.
One Blackburn Rovers player with more interest than most in Manchester City's pursuit of Mark Hughes must be David Bentley.

The winger is believed to be keen on leaving Blackburn - something which he apparently has in common with Hughes after the club confirmed this morning that 'Mark has made it clear to the board he would like the opportunity to talk to Manchester City'.

Yet Hughes has not been so keen on allowing Bentley to talk to potential suitors, repeatedly warning the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea that, as the player is under contract, he won't be leaving.

"David Bentley has a good contract here and there is good length on that contract, so we don't have to sell. Players are employed, they are under contract, and the decision on whether or not they see out the length of their contract doesn't depend on them - it depends on me or the chairman," the Rovers boss maintained.

In other words, contracts should be both adhered to and respected.

Strangely, however, Hughes' doesn't seem to believe that this principle applies to himself - in case he has forgotten, it was only in November that he signed a deal that, in the words of The Times, would 'keep him at Blackburn Rovers until 2010'.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:51 pm

I would like to see him go, the sixfingers to appoint Dean Saunders to keep continuity and them to struggle and suffer like we did this year.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:20 pm

jaffka wrote:I would like to see him go, the sixfingers to appoint Dean Saunders to keep continuity and them to struggle and suffer like we did this year.
I'd rather them struggle more than we did this year....that would mean one of the bottom four places would be filled up....

Son of Jardel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Son of Jardel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:45 pm

Just saw on Sky Sports News that Sam Allardyce has "cut short a family holiday" to join the race for the Blackburn job. Surely he can't go to Blackburn!

Incidentally, this is the same family he quit Bolton to spend more time with before joining Newcastle a week or two later. He certainly isn't a family man!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Son of Jardel wrote:Just saw on Sky Sports News that Sam Allardyce has "cut short a family holiday" to join the race for the Blackburn job. Surely he can't go to Blackburn!

Incidentally, this is the same family he quit Bolton to spend more time with before joining Newcastle a week or two later. He certainly isn't a family man!
Yep - it's on Skysports website now....

Sky Sports News understands members of the Chelsea hierarchy want Mark Hughes as the club's next manager.

The Blackburn Rovers boss is now at the centre of a managerial tug-of-war after Manchester City also made an approach for Hughes.

The former Manchester United striker was given permission by Blackburn on Monday to speak to City regarding the possibility of replacing Sven Goran Eriksson at Eastlands.

But Sky Sports News understands that Hughes is one of two names in the frame to replace Avram Grant in the Stamford Bridge hot seat.

Senior Chelsea figures met outside the country on Monday to discuss the appointment of a new boss, with Hughes and a foreign candidate in contention to succeed Grant.

Chelsea's hunt for their next manager has now 'seriously gathered pace' and a decision is understood to be imminent.

Meanwhile, with Hughes seemingly set to leave Ewood Park, former Bolton Wanderers boss Sam Allardyce has emerged as a contender for the Blackburn job.

Allardyce has cut short a family holiday in Spain to return to the North West, but could also be in the running for the City vacancy, if Hughes goes to Chelsea.

Other candidates for the Blackburn position are ex-England coach Steve McClaren and current Derby County manager Paul Jewell.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Meanwhile, with Hughes seemingly set to leave Ewood Park, former Bolton Wanderers boss Sam Allardyce has emerged as a contender for the Blackburn job.

Allardyce has cut short a family holiday in Spain to return to the North West, but could also be in the running for the City vacancy, if Hughes goes to Chelsea.
thats gonna cause some shite when him and freddy and their mates buy bwfc.

owner of bolton , manager of blackburn ? he'll be shifting players backwards and frontwards between us and them quicker than you can say "course he'll help me , he's me dad.. "

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:51 pm

a1 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

thats gonna cause some shite when him and freddy and their mates buy bwfc.

owner of bolton , manager of blackburn ? he'll be shifting players backwards and frontwards between us and them quicker than you can say "course he'll help me , he's me dad.. "
I think it'll be ok, us and Blackburn have a long tradition of being friends....He might end up at Citeh yet if Chelski nip in for Hughes...

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am

Worthy4England wrote:I think it'll be ok, us and Blackburn have a long tradition of being friends
Summat like that...we give them Frandsen in the prime of his career, they give us Matt Jansen :evil:
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Citeh is the better job for him, he'll work a minor miracle, Taxman Shittywanker will sack him off after 2 years and Sir Alex will step down, leaving the Manure job for him.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:37 pm

communistworkethic wrote:Citeh is the better job for him, he'll work a minor miracle, Taxman Shittywanker will sack him off after 2 years and Sir Alex will step down, leaving the Manure job for him.
You think he'd last two years at city if he only managed a minor miracle?!
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

BWFC_Wyles
Reliable
Reliable

Post by BWFC_Wyles » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:30 am

Think he'll do a superb job @ Citeh. He is a top quality manager and with the ££ backing him and the fan base, he'll unfortunately take them into Europe! SMUG B*STARDS
"Anything else you'd like? How about real lead in the radiation shields? Urinal cakes, maybe?"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:47 am

Done deal says back of t'Sun. 3 year deal for £9m.

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:05 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:Done deal says back of t'Sun. 3 year deal for £9m.
Decent comp when he gets sacked after a year, then.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:18 pm

It'll all come out in the wash, as he's been made Citeh's new manager.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:19 am

Interesting comment from Hughes in his Press Conference
Mark Hughes wrote: "There is always pressure," Hughes told a press conference live on Sky Sports News. "Every Premier League manager is under pressure.
"It is a result driven business and results are based on decisions I make. It doesn't faze me and you have to thrive on it.

Criticism

"Fans of any football club will voice opinions if you are not successful and if the team is not performing you are open to criticism.
"But I'll back my ability against most managers. In the next three years I would expect to be successful."
Bottom line is, the buck stops with the Manager - whatever goes on in between. Glad to see we now understand what a Manager is "responsible" for.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote: Bottom line is, the buck stops with the Manager - whatever goes on in between. Glad to see we now understand what a Manager is "responsible" for.
eh?

megson kept us up , so its all down to him ?

not too sure the mugson out charlies will like that interpretation of it.

bit like their "if we stay up its coz of the players and in spite of megson , but if we go down its megsons fault" spiel , but totally opposite.

using what hughes says as some sort of "catch all" definitive answer to the success of a football club is wierd.

not too sure what you mean , youre either using what he says as a pre-emptive anti-megson device .

or

hoping hughes falls on his face

or

or using it in defence of megson .

i'm not sure what you mean. i think mainly its the first one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:37 pm

a1 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote: Bottom line is, the buck stops with the Manager - whatever goes on in between. Glad to see we now understand what a Manager is "responsible" for.
eh?

megson kept us up , so its all down to him ?

not too sure the mugson out charlies will like that interpretation of it.

bit like their "if we stay up its coz of the players and in spite of megson , but if we go down its megsons fault" spiel , but totally opposite.

using what hughes says as some sort of "catch all" definitive answer to the success of a football club is wierd.

not too sure what you mean , youre either using what he says as a pre-emptive anti-megson device .

or

hoping hughes falls on his face

or

or using it in defence of megson .

i'm not sure what you mean. i think mainly its the first one.
It's a statement I happen to agree with about Managers in general. In football terms, they're responsible for our points tally - how they go about it is up to them (unless, like at Citeh, you have Frank trying to make your signings). For this season, Megson deserves plenty of credit for managing a team that ultimately survived. 5/6 games out, when it looked like we might be heading for days out in Blackpool and Derby, there were plenty of people saying that it wasn't Megson's fault, it was mainly Allardyce's team with some Sammy Lee signings. The players attitudes were crap etc. etc. all of which I agree with, but none of which alters the fact that the buck stops with the Manager. He knew all that when he accepted the pay check.

I don't think it's any major secret, that I'm still undecided about Megson's managerial capability. I'm not actively seeking his dismissal (didn't join in the muppet demo's etc.), but if Blackburn offered us £4.2m for his services I wouldn't lose any sleep if we took the money. Not sure which of your options it falls into really. It just happens to be a statement that I agree with. So if Megson does well, I'll give him credit, if he does badly I'll give him a hard time.