Penalties

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Penalties

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:19 am

Is it time to re-think the concept of the penalty? My understanding is that the spot kick was instituted to prevent attackers from cynically hacking down attackers in the middle of a goal-scoring opportunity. But now it seems to me the problem is reversed. It is the ATTACKERS who are interrupting goal-scoring opportunities by diving to win a penalty. Is it really fair to award a near-certain scoring opportunity if someone's heels are clipped inches inside the box while running away from goal? With the amount of money riding on every point, should half-wits like Rob Styles be given the power to change a game so dramatically with one blown call?

I have no real solution here, just curious to see if anyone else has thought about this.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:11 am

Go away, think through your question, and re-submit.

You've lost me.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:49 am

For a kick off, its defenders on attackers not attackers on attackers :wink:

Secondly, no. If a defender is stupid enough to dive in when there is no clear danger then he should be punished with a spot-kick given, just like any other foul in the box. They know the rules.

The problem is you've identified the problem (officials), but instead of treating it directly you are instead treating the symptoms.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:10 pm

I suppose if you were to land from outer space and observe, you'd see a sport where scoring is the most difficult of any common sport, yet an easy scoring opportunity can be awarded correctly or incorrectly for any sort of misdemenour inside the box. Wonder how odd it'd be if free kicks were just awarded and all the players had to stand on the line, or like some sort of hockey-style penalty corner. Not serious suggestions of course but it'd be a laugh wouldn't it.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 pm

I'd be interested to see if people would stop diving if a penalty was awarded at the other end should it be considered one.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'd be interested to see if people would stop diving if a penalty was awarded at the other end should it be considered one.
Now we've got rid of Joofy, I like that idea.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I'd be interested to see if people would stop diving if a penalty was awarded at the other end should it be considered one.
Don't forget Stelios and Campo

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:34 pm

We never get in the oppo's box anymore, so theres no chance this scheme would work against us. In fact, we could be gettin pens left right and centre without crossing the halfway line. I think I've just discovered Meggers wet-dream....
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:37 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Oh aye. The only problem with the concept is that the referee's would still be the same. So Styles would have still seen this as a penalty. Would we really want him or someone like him to have the power to award a penalty the other way against us on the odd chance that we were attacking? I think it would give the top 4 an increased chance of getting penalties even when they weren't attacking - scary stuff.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Oh aye. The only problem with the concept is that the referee's would still be the same. So Styles would have still seen this as a penalty. Would we really want him or someone like him to have the power to award a penalty the other way against us on the odd chance that we were attacking? I think it would give the top 4 an increased chance of getting penalties even when they weren't attacking - scary stuff.
It'd also make it too easy for ref's to NEVER give penalties for fear of getting it wrong - nailed on or not

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:30 pm

They should just ban Styles, and Riley for that matter from the game for life. It wouldn't solve the problem, but we would be taking a huge step in the right direction. It would bring my blood pressure down a notch not having to worry if they are calling a Bolton game.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:07 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Go away, think through your question, and re-submit.

You've lost me.
hmm if only I was allowed to say that.......
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house