We Can See You Sneaking Out......

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

We Can See You Sneaking Out......

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:56 pm

We've discussed this before, I'm sure. However, at 0-0 with five minutes to go on Wednesday evening quite a few people around me were heading for the exits. Why? I never have and never will truly understand this. You've gone to the trouble and the expense of turning up to a game, why leave before the show's over? Do these people bugger-off before the encore when they go to a gig?
When I got home I watched Match of the Day. The amount of Spuds fans that had done one at 4-2 was, I'll be honest here, fecking hilarious. Served every single one of them right if you ask me.
So, do you leave early, and if so, how come? Or do you know anyone that does? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Nobody is worse than Old Trafford.

85 minutes its like a switch goes off and the place begins to file out

White Boy Phil
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by White Boy Phil » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:22 pm

We three Rainfords arnt ones for leaving early.... as tempting as it was wednesday night. But i agree its highly emberassing to see fans pouring out with 5minutes to go.... lets be honest then when most goals happen at the Reebok, just a shame there always for the opposition.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:23 pm

I know that a lot of people do it because they want to beat the traffic... but normally, an early exit from a football ground usually means you get in the traffic jams quicker. Anyway, I've never left a game early in my life because... well... I like watching whole football matches!
Viva La Portable Radio!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:43 pm

wish i had left early on wednesday, i'd've have missed that shite goal, and probably not dropped my blackberry in the car park only to realise that having driven 45 miles,meaning I had to drive back (luckily it were there)
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:48 pm

Talk of the week, Arsenal vs Spurs, 4-4. But there are a lot of Spurs fans who could say they were there but missed the last two goals. When Lennon equalised, there were tons of empty seats.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm

To beat the traffic I can only assume. When a young un, my dad would drag me out of Pittodrie as the whistle was immenent, used to drive me mad.

Of course finally we got caught out, halfway down Merkalnd road one Saturday evening when a huge roar goes up, as we sneaked an injury time winner against the Rangers. :evil:

Never done it mysellf, although we do move near the stairs so that we can run like feck when the whistle blows.

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:40 pm

bobby5 wrote:Talk of the week, Arsenal vs Spurs, 4-4. But there are a lot of Spurs fans who could say they were there but missed the last two goals. When Lennon equalised, there were tons of empty seats.
Yet those that left will be the first ones to say: "Aye, I was there when the 3rd and 4th went in".

People leave the SoL as early as the 80th minute to 'beat the traffic' home. Given our record of scoring late on in games, it really is baffling. What's worse is those that arrive late, go early before HT, come back late for the second half then leave early! Would these people leave early in say, the cinema?

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:06 am

I've never left a ground before the final whistle - and I never will.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:15 am

i normally dont leave ground early, but against evenrton i couldnt be botherd waiting for the late train, so i came in the car...

Went out about 88 mins, and when i heard a big roar, i knew exactly it wouldnt be bolton who have scored...
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:37 pm

On Tuesday I drove from Paris to Kent, then on Wednesday from Kent, via the snow bound south-east to North Wales, then onto the Reebok.

I then sat for arond 2 hrs in the freezing cold, for which I'd had to buy scarf, hat & gloves while I watched an inept display by players earning variously between £5k to £40k per week, managed by a man who seemed to have deliberately set out to squeeze away even the faintest sense of entertainment.

If I then chose to leave to start my 90 minute return journey after they let in a pathetic goal on 89 minutes, then I will fckg well chose to leave.

Any jumped up nonce who feels that's half-hearted support may meet me in the Tesco's car park at 6pm this evening where I will call their sister a whore, their father a banana abuser and will then slap their face with my gaunlet and challenge them to a duel using JCB's at 30 yards.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:42 pm

I overheard Megson calling you a part-timer Bobo. Just so you know.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:16 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Nobody is worse than Old Trafford.

85 minutes its like a switch goes off and the place begins to file out
Got a couple of mates with ST's - leave early every match
Traffic apparently, I can imagine that 75,000 people all heading towards the M62 must make for one hell of a traffic jam! We're blessed in that we have decent public transport options and a fairly low crowd, so yeah 5 minutes early always seems strange to me.

However, you read the reasons why some people leave early (like bobo), and I remember when my grandad went to the game it took him too long to walk to the bus so he had to leave early, and it does make some sense.

White Boy Phil
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by White Boy Phil » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 pm

Once again the curse struck today..... even though we were winning, something not seen at the Reebok for a few months! People were stillllllllll leaving early, it was emberassing! Traffic my arse enjoy your clubs victory while it last's people! We've got Liverpool next home game.... you will wish you had enjoyed today i imagine

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 am

I have never understood the leaving early thing.

Perhaps others' time is more valuable than mine.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:15 am

Coming from someone training to be part of the legal profession, the supreme irony of that statement is not entirely lost on me :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:53 am

I must own up to sneaking out early v Derby at home last year....missed Stelios' goal. But hey, I was very, very cold, pissed off and bored by then.

norm the jedi
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by norm the jedi » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:53 pm

If that pen had gone in for Reading at Wembley I was leaving.....

Otherwise as It's a 420 mile round trip to home games I'm getting me monies worth and stopping to the [often] bitter end..
Are we in League 2 yet - Three seasons and we'll be away to Chesham

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 pm

I've only left early twice. One was the famous Newcastle FA cup game (grandad said 'we're bloody going home!') only to hear two mighty roars while walking up Manny Road.

The other time was under Phil Neal, can't remember who against but Trevor Morgan scored in injury time to equalise.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"