Paul Ince - praise for a change

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:18 pm

ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
ThePosterFormerlyKnownAs wrote:I cannot fathom why Bolton fans hate Roy Keane so much when he didn't play for your main rivals, nor has managed them; and I cannot fathom why most of you cannot let whatever your grudge is in the past. He has moved on, why don't you all do the same?
You're having a laugh aren't you? We might be miles apart in terms of size, chances of winning the Prem etc, that doesn't mean to say psychologically that we don't hate the Redshite with a passion.

There's 19.5 miles between the two grounds and as it happens and I've spent most of my life nearer to the Redshite than to the Reebok. When we were at Burnden, we were only about 15 miles apart - which isn't much more than the distance between you and the Great Geordie Nation.
Bolton to Wigan - 10.04 miles
Bolton to Blackburn - 16.99 miles
Bolton to Oldham - 18.51 miles
Bolton to Bury - 6.98 miles
Bolton to Rochdale - 18.56 miles
Bolton to City Of Manchester Stadium - 14.72 miles
Bolton to Old Trafford - 16.46 miles.

Those are the figures taken from 'multimap' on the quickest route when driving. I have taken a selection of clubs from around the Greater Manchester area and from that list, Old Trafford is 4th on the list, behind Man City. Why don't you hate Man City more? Geographically, they are closer...
I personally don't hate City more, because they've only recently moved "much nearer" - from Maine Road, which was about 20 miles away - and most of their fans that I know aren't complete and utter gobshites who've never been near the ground their team play at.

If it was all just about "proximity" between the two grounds, then we'd all have to hate Bury - which isn't really worth getting out of bed for. I don't agree with Warty, suggesting that our main rivals "psychologically" are Blackburn (although in footballing terms this may well be true and I'm more than happy for Warty to have his own opinion). I think Warty lives much nearer to Ewood Park than Old Trafford, so for him, it's likely to be more of an issue. Many Bolton fans who live t'other side of Bolton from Warty are way nearer to OT than they would probably want to be - I'm less than 10 miles from OT and 20 miles to Ewood - why would I dislike Blackburn more? I can't remember the last time a saw someone from Blackburn (other than at football).

potter1989bwfc
Promising
Promising

Post by potter1989bwfc » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:19 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:The geographical proximity of old Trafford may have escaped your notice, so let me help you out - its very close to Bolton, and to about half the town its the nearest 'other' club.
I, and probably many others, have always assumed that Blackburn or Burnley were your main rivals. If we are taking people supporting other clubs within the town/city as a reason to be rivals, then our second rivals would be Chelsea. Flawed logic, that one.

I do admit that in the North West where there are loads of teams that there is always going to be rivalries due to support but never would have thought Man Utd would be classed as your main rival. And seeing as how their main rival(s) would be L'pool or City, does that make you the annoying cousin who just wants attention? Like Boro are to us and Newcastle, or Stockport to Man City?
Again, you've lost me a bit. My family are generally from the Manchester/Salford areas, they've always supported the Wanderers, and United more than anyone else, have always been the rivals. Considering over a streetch of more than 100 games we were the only team to have a superior record than Utd in head-to-heads (subsequently lost under Allardyce), I would suggest you are trying to make the facts fit your argument.

In a modern, multi-million pound Premier League are we main rivals of United? Of course not, the world has changed incomparibly for them. And its also incomparible to Newcastle/Sunderland. That hasn't moved on because A) theres no-one else to move on to B)more importantly the clubs themselves haven't moved on from being bog-standard top-flight clubs.

It might be difficult for you to get your head round United/Bolton rivalry, but imagine a time before Sky et al, when super-rich international clubs didn't exist, where your club spent the majority of its time in the same division as its nearest other club. Tell me, would you expect a rivalry?
My club hasn't really spent a lot of time in the same division after the 50's so we haven't really played any teams loads of times. Even the mags we have only played them 138 times. When you compare that to the Steel City Derby (which pales in comparison to be honest, the atmosphere at the one I went to was crap), which has been played over 200 times is poor. That is more our fault than anyones, though.

You don't need to lecture me on the birth of Sky football. It has been Sky that have given Newcastle the 'right' to stay in the Premiership and have 52,000 diehard mugs support them every week. Sky are also responsible for the likes of Chelsea being rich etc, mind you. Anyhoo, I disgress.

My point is, I personally don't understand why you hate Man Utd so much, but as has been pointed out in this thread that it has history, so fair enough. And as I have said, it must be hard in the NW with so many teams trying to compete for fans and the like.

It still doesn't mean I don't understand why you hate Roy Keane so much. He's retired from playing and is trying to make a name for himself as a manager. Would he be villified it he took over from Megson? I doubt it, because fans always support the person in charge, and the people wearing the shirt of the team you love. Irrespective of what his past is, Roy Keane as a manager is different to that of Roy Keane as a player.
the reason i hate him is because of the Alf-Inge Haaland tackle and then he comes out and admits he meant it
but hey ? hes trying to make a name for himself as a manager so im sure Alf-Inge Haaland will let him off won't he ?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:59 pm

... anyway ... back to Paul Ince ... (tosser) ...
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:19 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:The geographical proximity of old Trafford may have escaped your notice, so let me help you out - its very close to Bolton, and to about half the town its the nearest 'other' club.
I, and probably many others, have always assumed that Blackburn or Burnley were your main rivals. If we are taking people supporting other clubs within the town/city as a reason to be rivals, then our second rivals would be Chelsea. Flawed logic, that one.

I do admit that in the North West where there are loads of teams that there is always going to be rivalries due to support but never would have thought Man Utd would be classed as your main rival. And seeing as how their main rival(s) would be L'pool or City, does that make you the annoying cousin who just wants attention? Like Boro are to us and Newcastle, or Stockport to Man City?
Again, you've lost me a bit. My family are generally from the Manchester/Salford areas, they've always supported the Wanderers, and United more than anyone else, have always been the rivals. Considering over a streetch of more than 100 games we were the only team to have a superior record than Utd in head-to-heads (subsequently lost under Allardyce), I would suggest you are trying to make the facts fit your argument.

In a modern, multi-million pound Premier League are we main rivals of United? Of course not, the world has changed incomparibly for them. And its also incomparible to Newcastle/Sunderland. That hasn't moved on because A) theres no-one else to move on to B)more importantly the clubs themselves haven't moved on from being bog-standard top-flight clubs.

It might be difficult for you to get your head round United/Bolton rivalry, but imagine a time before Sky et al, when super-rich international clubs didn't exist, where your club spent the majority of its time in the same division as its nearest other club. Tell me, would you expect a rivalry?
My club hasn't really spent a lot of time in the same division after the 50's so we haven't really played any teams loads of times. Even the mags we have only played them 138 times. When you compare that to the Steel City Derby (which pales in comparison to be honest, the atmosphere at the one I went to was crap), which has been played over 200 times is poor. That is more our fault than anyones, though.

You don't need to lecture me on the birth of Sky football. It has been Sky that have given Newcastle the 'right' to stay in the Premiership and have 52,000 diehard mugs support them every week. Sky are also responsible for the likes of Chelsea being rich etc, mind you. Anyhoo, I disgress.

My point is, I personally don't understand why you hate Man Utd so much, but as has been pointed out in this thread that it has history, so fair enough. And as I have said, it must be hard in the NW with so many teams trying to compete for fans and the like.

It still doesn't mean I don't understand why you hate Roy Keane so much. He's retired from playing and is trying to make a name for himself as a manager. Would he be villified it he took over from Megson? I doubt it, because fans always support the person in charge, and the people wearing the shirt of the team you love. Irrespective of what his past is, Roy Keane as a manager is different to that of Roy Keane as a player.
Nope. He's still a cnut.
I'm sur Alf Inge Haaland will be delighted to hear that. :|
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:23 pm

This thread reminded me to go and have a look on t'rovers board. If you want cheering up go over there and have a laugh. Oh and Zulu stop being so nice to them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:36 pm

Puskas wrote:I'm entirely unsure as to why ThePosterFormerlyKnownAsWhatever feels it necessary to slag off Ince.

He's a Sunderland fan, right?

Supporting a team managed by Roy Keane. And having a go at Paul Ince? Where's Mr Pot, we have Mr Kettle to meet him.
I have no reason to slag off Roy Keane. The only thing he did worthy of note against Sunderland as a player was get sent off at the SoL, but Man Utd still won that game. Unlike fans of some clubs (not just yourselves), referees and media pundits I don't see why his playing antics are brought up now he is a manager. Sure, he was a dirty player, but he has since retired and has the manner of a very calm manager. Outspoken, yes; but not aggressive.

Paul Ince, on the other hand, as I have stated above deserves slating for using the race card to be effectively given a top job after a handful of games managing a team in the lower league. He is also a moody bastard. The way he refused to sign autographs for bairns was disgraceful, especially given some of the 'big' names for Blackburn were more than happy to do so.

Likewise, as players, Keane wasn't spotted wearing another clubs shirt around a week before signing for them while being employed by someone else.

I cannot fathom why Bolton fans hate Roy Keane so much when he didn't play for your main rivals, nor has managed them; and I cannot fathom why most of you cannot let whatever your grudge is in the past. He has moved on, why don't you all do the same?
Without wanting to defend either of the dirty rag b*stards. If racism doesnt play any part, how do you explain how Ince and Keane, two similar characters, similar players, similarly 'respected' characters in football ended up with first jobs so disparate?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:

Ours don't, be they right or wrong.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:26 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:This thread reminded me to go and have a look on t'rovers board. If you want cheering up go over there and have a laugh. Oh and Zulu stop being so nice to them.
:lmfao:

I'm only lulling them into a false sense of security.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:39 pm

Paul Ince is a nob! (I'd use prxck, but it's otherwise employed!)
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:18 pm

2-0 down against Pompey!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:29 pm

jmjhb wrote:2-0 down against Pompey!
You were saying?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:30 pm

warthog wrote:
jmjhb wrote:2-0 down against Pompey!
You were saying?
I was saying Pompey are unable to defend leads :shock:

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:59 pm

Oops. 3-2 to Portsmouth final score.

That Blackburn web site has melted.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:24 pm

warthog wrote:Oops. 3-2 to Portsmouth final score.

That Blackburn web site has melted.
lol, think its blackburns season for going down this year?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:34 pm

606 they are suicidal!

Its great!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 pm

jaffka wrote:606 they are suicidal!

Its great!
and again they are calling for his head!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:28 pm

May I draw your attention to this very fine thread.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?sho ... 224&st=400

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:34 pm

warthog wrote:May I draw your attention to this very fine thread.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?sho ... 224&st=400
This is tremendous :D

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:49 pm

Beware folks, this sounds like us lot a few weeks ago (and yes, just about everyone was on suicide watch).

Question is, can Ince turn it round, can we hope they keep him and stay sh*t, and can we rely on them to keep 1 of the 3 places off us? I hope so :twisted:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Beware folks, this sounds like us lot a few weeks ago (and yes, just about everyone was on suicide watch).

Question is, can Ince turn it round, can we hope they keep him and stay sh*t, and can we rely on them to keep 1 of the 3 places off us? I hope so :twisted:
Rovers strength is in their attack, an aging midfield and failing to replace Bently has cut off the supply to their front men.

Santa Cruz is unsettled and wants to leave along with others.

McCarthy is doing a Jardel impression.

By all accounts the team are falling out, requesting transfers and are upset as to how Ince trains and treats them.

Long may it continue!