Murderers at it again

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:24 pm

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:35 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:So if someone else admitted to doing it, help me out as to why they shouldn't ask for the release of the person who's doing the time for it, quite possibly wrongly?
Tell ya what

I committed the crimes Sutcliffe is serving time for

Lets let him out, too

Consider yourself "Grassed"

:wink:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Interesting piece from the Guardian's 'The Fiver':
JUSTICE FOR NORRIS

Now the Fiver is simple folk - we can't even spell M Night Showaddywaddy, never mind understand his films - but after a wasted life of rifling through Spot The Difference puzzle books, there is one thing we're good at. And after hours of staring REALLY HARD at our ZX81 screen, we've spotted the difference between the cases of David Norris and Liverpool FC. Norris was fined £5,000 for a gesture in support of a man convicted of causing death by dangerous driving. Liverpool FC today went unpunished for their collective gesture in support of a man convicted of attempted murder.

The Michael Shields case is one of the most sensitive and emotive in this country's history, and a judicial review will begin tomorrow. We have no idea if he is guilty or not: we're simply not in a position to comment with even a smidgen of authority (so what's new etc). But surely we are entering extremely uncomfortable territory if we allow public perceptions of a miscarriage of justice to supplant that which has been established in a court of law. A lot of people think Police Academy 4: Citizens On Patrol is a good film; it doesn't mean it is. (Actually it's a belter, the pick of a blisteringly funny series, but you get the point.)

Besides, are the players really so familiar with the minutiae of the case that they can wear such T-shirts with a clear conscience? Does Alvaro Arbeloa, say, have a theory as to why a number of witnesses came forward to say they saw Shields batter Martin Georgiev over the head with a seven-pound paving slab, fracturing his skull? And given what happened to Norris, are we to assume it's one rule for 27-year-old midfielders called David who play in East Anglia and one rule for the rest?

"We understand that Michael Shields's case is one that many Liverpool players and fans feel strongly about," said an FA spokesman, as the Kenny Dalglish pin-badge he had just hidden down his pants accidentally pierced his swingers, splashing blood all over the journalists' buffet, not that they'd mind. "Having heard the club's explanation we will not be taking any formal action, and we are satisfied that they understand the sensitivities around football matches being used as a platform for political messages." If that was the case we wouldn't be writing this, would we?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:24 pm

yes, it points out what a bunch of nice people Liverpool are and how gutless the FA are in dealing with them
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:32 pm

from about three years ago...take from it what you will

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... urder.html

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Verbal wrote:from about three years ago...take from it what you will

Good enough for me .... "Guilty !!".

Just need another 11 now.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Ludovic?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:37 pm

11?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Verbal wrote:11?
Well, there's me ... and I just need 11 more for a jury full.

I'll accept a majority verdict.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Not guilty... just need another 11...

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Verbal wrote:11?
Well, there's me ... and I just need 11 more for a jury full.

I'll accept a majority verdict.
Ah :D im back in the game..

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 pm

I still don't understand how Ludovic Guily would help us to reach a decision? :conf:

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Verbal wrote:from about three years ago...take from it what you will

Rather a different and more balanced view than the scallys would have you believe.

I'll side with Bobo - 10 more needed.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:13 pm

Seeing as the only evidence we have is opinionated journalism against the words of parents and friends, I personally abstain. Enjoy your holier than thou lynching all the same.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Seeing as the only evidence we have is opinionated journalism against the words of parents and friends, I personally abstain. Enjoy your holier than thou lynching all the same.
i think there's more evidence than that - a deeply flawed id parade, a confesion by someone arrested before shields... no evidential reason for the bulgarian police to arrest shields (they originally went looking for sankey! couldn't find him, went into the room next door. Sherlock it wasn't. Shit it was).

but, i take your censure - it is sick when someone is in jail innocently to do a 'poll', and regret my stupid contribution to it...

Let's stop now.
Last edited by William the White on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:25 pm

I'll sit on the fence with LK. Theres no real evidence either way.

I'll agree though that it's disturbing that the Scousers are presenting this as a clear cut travesty of justice, when it plainly isn't like that.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:28 pm

Tombwfc wrote:I'll sit on the fence with LK. Theres no real evidence either way.
I'd agree with that - I've not seen anything to convince me one way or the other, but I'd lean toward the innocent side of the spectrum. Probably about 60/40.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Which is exactly where I am - I haven't seen any unbiased evidence either. I do believe that the 'confession' is a load of rubbish and should be discounted completely.

As I say, the most compelling and concrete thing for me is the turning down of the appeal by the Strasbourg judges.

Interesting to see what tomorrow brings, even if the result itself is a foregone conclusion.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:40 pm

William the White wrote: i think there's more evidence than that - a deeply flawed id parade, a confesion by someone arrested before shields... no evidential reason for the bulgarian police to arrest shields (they originally went looking for sankey! couldn't find him, went into the room next door. Sherlock it wasn't. Shit it was).
But where have you got this account from?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:54 pm

I'd be on the fence too. I agree with Mummy the other confession seems to be a load of rubbish. The police investigation seems to have been ridiculous though. At least by certain accounts. I'd certainly say there is enough evidence either way to be unsure beyond reasonable doubt.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.