Sky Sports: Bolton agree fee with Newcastle for Nolan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:35 pm

My Dad reckons this'll turn into an effective swap deal for Barton A) if theres any truth to it and B) If the initial reactions aren't like Wednesday night.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

John Doe
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by John Doe » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:36 pm

Blimey, didn't see that coming at all. I was like a few people who thought Nolan could recapture the form of 2/3 years ago if we gave him enough time, but his rough patch has gone on too long. Hope we re-invest whatever money we get before window shuts. Will be weird to see him playing for someone else after 10 years with us and him being bwfc through and through.
There are two times in a man's life when he should not speculate: when he can't afford it, and when he can.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:36 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:Right. Realism time. Thinking caps on.

If we are selling him, it can only be because of the following:

1 - Megson secretly knows he's shit
2 - it's an astronomically good fee for him, ie from £5m
3 - Megson's secretly pressing the self-destruct button
4 - We can use the funds for Veloso dude

What've I missed

Being creative -

5 - Club finances going down the pan.
6 - He's gone mental at the rest of the team last night in the dressing room and they've snapped.
7 - Megson doing this to get the fans onside.
Last edited by Athers on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:36 pm

What've I missed
errrr..... Joe Kinnear is a thick c**t?

Nobbys Belly
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nobbys Belly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Athers wrote:I hear £4m but that could be guesswork, surely we'd spend any cash we get from this deal.

Might have more of an effect on dressing room morale and team spirit rather than the goals column, but that's assuming he's still respected by the other players in the same way he was previously. Maybe that's a reason we'd accept a bid?

Just making stuff up now mind ;)
4m would be a p!ss take for a player with as much premiership experience. Even if Nobby has lost his way, he is still a regular and if we asked for any other prem midfielder of his age and same amount of starts this season regardless of ability in this window then 5-6 would be cheap.

That said Nolan is slow, can't pass, can't tackle and does'nt score anymore so If a fair price is agreed then I would glady sell him. With the proviso that I had someone lined up already.
Even if we do get Veloso (looking increasingly unlikely) we will still need another midfielder so that we are'nt down on numbers.
As long as the wind blows, fortunes can change.

markakamark
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by markakamark » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My Dad reckons this'll turn into an effective swap deal for Barton A) if theres any truth to it and B) If the initial reactions aren't like Wednesday night.
no chance of us signing him now if he's out for 2 months. would be a very silly idea me thinks...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 pm

What've I missed
5 - Nolan himself is fed up and wanted out

I hope to God it's not option 3.
Businesswoman of the year.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:My Dad reckons this'll turn into an effective swap deal for Barton A) if theres any truth to it and B) If the initial reactions aren't like Wednesday night.
Barton out for at least 2 months though!

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:39 pm

It won't be for Barton.

You don't swap your club captain for a player who is out for 2 months and a scallywag at that.

“The fans reaction should be thrown at us too because we’re the ones on the pitch. They’ve paid to come here today so they’ve got a right to say what they want but, as the captain, I can say all the players are right behind the manager.”

Thats the captain speaking a while ago, the same captain people are wanting to drive to Toon right now.

Bolton fans... :whack:

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Athers wrote:Barton out for at least 2 months though!
... and probably the reason they are wanting Nolan.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:40 pm

If Nolan goes and we don't sign Veloso, instead we get another Rasiak... Megson better have good security, thats all I'm thinking.

Nobbys Belly
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Nobbys Belly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:42 pm

FD wrote:If Nolan goes and we don't sign Veloso, instead we get another Rasiak... Megson better have good security, thats all I'm thinking.
He'd better emigrate more like!
As long as the wind blows, fortunes can change.

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Just £3mil according to reports... http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/new ... -22813845/

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 pm

I'm pleased, IF we get the replacement - all due respect to Mark Davies, I'd like a bit of extra quality in that midfield.

If not then...well, I don't know. We'll see, s'all I'm saying.

And he hasn't been sold yet, lest we forget.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

£3 million apparently.

What a joke we've become.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

10 Years he been at bolton, 12 if you include hes youth days...

Shame to see him go but things only gonna get worse like i say...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

FD wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
FD wrote:This HAS to be to secure the funds for Veloso.

Otherwise, lack of form or not, this is suicide.

It occurred to me the other day this might happen, but I didn't want to say it out loud.

This will DESTROY the morale Megson is so keen on talking about.
Interesting, FD. Why?
I'm not sure which part you are asking "why" to so I'll respond to it all :

He is out captain and is respected by the players as the captain.

Megson says morale is low because of the abuse, he's going to rectify this by selling our captain and the only GOOD player to come through the academy and actually "make it" leaving us with a midfield that is full of cloggers and inexperienced young players.

He may be out of form but he always gives his everything for this club, he loves the club and he is the captain. It's never a good idea to sell your captain mid-way through a season, even less so in a relegation battle!

The ONLY way I can see this being real is if we've agreed a deal for Veloso but need to fund it somehow. Like it or not, Elmander aside, Nolan is our biggest asset when it comes to selling. If we aren't doing this to fund Veloso then as I say, as far as I'm concerned, I'll be joining the "Megson Out!" brigade.

Oh and finally, it's not "Newcastle and Bolton are in talks for a deal over Nolan"...its "Newcastle have agreed a fee for Nolan" so there's no swap deal for Barton. We need the money from this sale, why else would we even entertain selling our captain, and Megson's favourite?

One thing is for sure, if he goes, every time I see him playing NOT in a Bolton shirt, I'm gonna feel sick. He's taken every bit of stick (and there's been a f**k load) thrown at him by Bolton "fans" whilst "super" Davies is a legend. They both bleed Bolton, yet the captain, the lad who came through our youth ranks and never once asked to move even when England might have been calling has gotten all the stick. I really hope all the c**ts who have abused him for the last 2/3 seasons are f**king happy now, I really do.
Yeah, good points, well thought-out. I was asking for a general expansion on your emotion, and I got one. Thanks.

Others have questioned whether he's respected by the players. I'd say that not selling him because he's captain is a bit lame. Every player has his price; I just hope (like you) that we get a good one. At that point it matters not whether he comes from the Academy or Academica de Coimbra in Portugal. Having been bred by the club makes him financially rewarding, not unsellable. Indeed, compared to someone we paid £14m for, it makes him more sellable. That's how Academies work, unless you're prepared to throw money into a hole in the ground in hope.

I have no doubt that he loves the club. I have never hated him, and you're welcome to check my past posts. He hasn't been on his best form for a while, and I wish him the best. Indeed, I might even be tempted to go back in for him in May if the Geordies go down.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

It would seem to me that it's more likely that Nolan has just got fed up with getting abuse and has asked to be able to speak to Newcastle, as opposed to Megson systematically dismantling the team for a laugh. Why play Nolan last night if he'd fallen out with him and wanted shot?

Good luck to Nolan. He's been in poor form (and was shit yesterday) but has given his all for the club and has held the team together at times it's looked as though it's about to fall apart. He deserves better than what he gets, and so he's better off out of it. He's been treated like shit for years.

Be careful what you wish for indeed. This whole c*nt brigade of 'Megson Out' is going to come a self fulfilling prophecy. Give the players and the manager abuse up to the point where they just don't give a shit anymore, and then they can say 'I told you so' when we get relegated. Great. I'm almost past caring myself, Megson, Nolan and Gartside should just give the fans what they want and all leave, and then we'll see where we end up. Somewhere near shit creek i reckon. Hopefully if we do get relegated those hurling abuse will clear off and go support Wigan.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 pm

Nobbys Belly wrote:
FD wrote:If Nolan goes and we don't sign Veloso, instead we get another Rasiak... Megson better have good security, thats all I'm thinking.
He'd better emigrate more like!
wtf are you two on about?
The signing of Veloso is out of Megsons hands. In fact it went out of his hands the second he told Gartside he was interested.

But lets not let the opportunity of another Megson witch hunt pass us by.
Businesswoman of the year.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:46 pm

NWhiteley wrote:Just £3mil according to reports... http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/new ... -22813845/
Good homework, NW. Terrible business, BW.