Sky Sports: Bolton agree fee with Newcastle for Nolan

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:52 am

jimbo wrote:I'm gutted he's going. For me, him, Jussi and Gardner are Bolton. Losing him is losing a bit of our identity. Teams need a core of players who have been at the club for years - something City lack and Nolan has enjoyed the good times with Bolton. We'll be left with a core of players who know nothing other than relegation battles.

Anyways, as it could be the last time for a fat bastard comment, here goes. You say he's having a medical at Newcastle. Do you think being clinically obese may hinder his chances? Although they did sogn Viduka...................
Our players who where around in 2002 knew nothing much other than Relegation. Just a thought.

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 am

Let's not forget that a medical for Kevin Nolan will take around 3 months to complete, so he probably won't join until summer.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

ohjimmyjimmy wrote:Let's not forget that a medical for Kevin Nolan will take around 3 months to complete, so he probably won't join until summer.
Thats cheered me up. :D

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:56 am

DJBlu wrote:
jimbo wrote:I'm gutted he's going. For me, him, Jussi and Gardner are Bolton. Losing him is losing a bit of our identity. Teams need a core of players who have been at the club for years - something City lack and Nolan has enjoyed the good times with Bolton. We'll be left with a core of players who know nothing other than relegation battles.

Anyways, as it could be the last time for a fat bastard comment, here goes. You say he's having a medical at Newcastle. Do you think being clinically obese may hinder his chances? Although they did sogn Viduka...................
Our players who where around in 2002 knew nothing much other than Relegation. Just a thought.
I know. But it can't be good when out of the usual starting 11 only Jussi (who was close to leaving in summer) and Davies will have played more than 50 games. Seriously not impressed by this piece of business - despite me being critical of his performances I still loved him as a player. Perhaps that is clouding my view here, but I fear not.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 am

jimbo wrote:Seriously not impressed by this piece of business - despite me being critical of his performances I still loved him as a player. Perhaps that is clouding my view here, but I fear not.
You ain't the only one mate . . . my head tells me he's shit, my heart tells me I should start crying . . .

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 am

jimbo wrote:
DJBlu wrote:

I know. But it can't be good when out of the usual starting 11 only Jussi (who was close to leaving in summer) and Davies will have played more than 50 games. Seriously not impressed by this piece of business - despite me being critical of his performances I still loved him as a player. Perhaps that is clouding my view here, but I fear not.
Maybe tho Jimbo thats whats needed. Get the Allardyce out of Bolton for good. It going one way or the other. One player is going to step up to the Captaincy and I beleive it will be Taylor as he relished it at Arsenal, personnaly I think he will be good enough.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:59 am

Hmmmm.....
Whilst Nolan hasn't played well, with a few exceptions, for the past few years, it's still uncomfortable to see him leave.
And our midfield is starting to look painfully lightweight. Someone remarked that Megson had better have a replacement lined up for his sake. I don't care about him - he'd better have a replacement lined up for Wanderers' sake....

One other thought - if Nolan thinks that he had a hard time from sections of the crowd at the Reebok, he could be in for a shock at St James's (I can never remember which of the three parks has the apostrophe...). Especially if he turns in some of the performances he has done recently.

Oh well. The new era is well and truly upon us.
I'll miss you, Kevin, even if some of it is nostalgia tinged.

I think I'll have to dig out the videos of those two games at the theatre of sh1te.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:00 am

I would throw Steinsson out there for captain along with Taylor . . . did anyone else pledge to stay with us if we went down last season?

ohjimmyjimmy
Icon
Icon

Post by ohjimmyjimmy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 am

We'll have to take Kevin's mug off the 'dedicated' poster icons !

Sorry to see him go, garbage as he has been lately, he still epitomised the BWFC underdog era of the last 7 or 8 years.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 am

coffeymagic wrote:
He's expected to be Superman by some fans. Megson may go out today and buy somebody else with no vowels in his name but when push comes to shoving someone I'd rather have 11 Kevin Nolans on the pitch than 11 Muambas, Elmanders or McCanns.
now that's a very good question!! if we could have 11 of the same bolton player on the pitch - who would it be - and why - I might start a thread for that all on its own!
coffeymagic wrote:Selling our club captain? The day before the most important game in this clubs history?
deep breaths mate... deep breaths!!!! HYPERBOLE ALERT!!!!!!!! :crazy:

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:02 am

Quick question, why was the captaincy taken off Taylor and given to Davies for the United game?

Don't think Steinsson would be a good shout as he needs to sort his own game out first. For me there isn't a stand out. Seriously a horrible 36 hours being a Bolton fan.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:03 am

Have been hearing that all has not been well in the dressing room with Mr Nolan ( not the team in general) at the heart of it all. He's, apparently, not been up to scratch in more ways than just on the pitch. Can't say more but it's from a good source or I wouldn't broach the topic. If true, then maybe better for all concerned if he goes.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Have been hearing that all has not been well in the dressing room with Mr Nolan ( not the team in general) at the heart of it all. He's, apparently, not been up to scratch in more ways than just on the pitch. Can't say more but it's from a good source or I wouldn't broach the topic. If true, then maybe better for all concerned if he goes.
When you think about it, he's not mentioned anything in the press for a month or so. Used to be weekly updates from him.

NWhiteley
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NWhiteley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:05 am

And it gets worse... http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/wanderer ... in_Veloso/ , although it was highly unlikely that we would sign Veloso, this just confirms that we are in for a very nervy last few months of the season. (unless Megson pulls a surprising rabbit out of the bag)

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:06 am

thebish wrote: now that's a very good question!! if we could have 11 of the same bolton player on the pitch - who would it be - and why - I might start a thread for that all on its own!
It has already been answered. In song form, and you can't argue with songs:
"We all dream of a team of Nicky Hunts...."

Another player who came through the ranks and is hence undervalued. It happens to all players who come through (Roy Greaves and Julian Darby have already been mentioned. Jimmy Phillips). And not just at Wanderers - I remember reading a few years back how Roverrrrrs fans didn't like Jason Wilcox. "If he didn't cost nowt, he can't be worth owt"
Bah.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Have been hearing that all has not been well in the dressing room with Mr Nolan ( not the team in general) at the heart of it all. He's, apparently, not been up to scratch in more ways than just on the pitch. Can't say more but it's from a good source or I wouldn't broach the topic. If true, then maybe better for all concerned if he goes.
Interesting TD. You saying that has triggered something deep in my mind from Wednesday night. With a couple of minutes to go in the first half, Samuel (who had been excellent) made a mistake and Nolan gave him a right bollocking. Samuel must have said something back as both players sort of had to be separated. This carried on after the whistle and they were still arguing down the tunnel. Could this have affected the team and made them play like that in the second half?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:18 am

jimbo wrote:
Interesting TD. You saying that has triggered something deep in my mind from Wednesday night. With a couple of minutes to go in the first half, Samuel (who had been excellent) made a mistake and Nolan gave him a right bollocking. Samuel must have said something back as both players sort of had to be separated. This carried on after the whistle and they were still arguing down the tunnel. Could this have affected the team and made them play like that in the second half?
If what TD has heard is something similar to what whispers I've been hearing it runs along the lines of "yeah your good with the mouth bit but if you ain't delivering who the hell are you to have a go at us"?
Seems people want their captin to lead by example as well as the mouth, so the half time thing may not be far off the mark.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:23 am

jimbo wrote:
I noticed that too. But it wasn't just Nolan and Samuel. The cause was a free kick that had been badly defended. There were three players, the ball between them and none of them went for it as they were waiting for the others. There was another player involved in the squabbling that I can't remember and KD was trying to calm things down.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

Make of it what you will,

"Bolton manager Gary Megson today admitted he knew little about captain Kevin Nolan’s impending move to Barclays Premier League rivals Newcastle.

The club have agreed a transfer fee believed to be in the region of £4.5m and Megson confirmed Nolan was on Tyneside undergoing a medical this morning.

Megson – who ruled the possibility of signing Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon – was reluctant to go into detail about Nolan’s transfer.

“The situation as we speak is that the club received a bid from Newcastle which the club accepted and he’s up there having a medical at the moment,” said Megson.

“For any more details that you’re going to need or want to know you will have to go to the press office of the football club and they will let you know what we’re doing.

“That’s as far as I’m going to go with it.”

Bolton’s 26-year-old captain, who has made 323 appearances for the club since his debut in 1999, now looks almost certain to join one of the Trotters’ main relegation rivals."

Smells of a Frandsen to Blackburn style sale.

"Sack the Board" next.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:24 am

Maybe I'm reading something more that there is, but I think there's something wrong with this deal...
Bolton manager Gary Megson today admitted he knew little about captain Kevin Nolan’s impending move to Barclays Premier League rivals Newcastle.

The club have agreed a transfer fee believed to be in the region of £4.5m and Megson confirmed Nolan was on Tyneside undergoing a medical this morning.

Megson – who ruled the possibility of signing Miguel Veloso from Sporting Lisbon – was reluctant to go into detail about Nolan’s transfer.

“The situation as we speak is that the club received a bid from Newcastle which the club accepted and he’s up there having a medical at the moment,” said Megson.

“For any more details that you’re going to need or want to know you will have to go to the press office of the football club and they will let you know what we’re doing.

“That’s as far as I’m going to go with it.”

Bolton’s 26-year-old captain, who has made 323 appearances for the club since his debut in 1999, now looks almost certain to join one of the Trotters’ main relegation rivals.
Are we perhaps in more financial trouble that we thought? This bit sounds like Megson is lining up for another Rasiak :
Earlier in the week Megson bolstered Bolton’s midfield with the purchase of 20-year-old Mark Davies from Wolves, but the club are now keen to raise funds.

Megson admitted the possibility of signing midfielder Veloso, one of the most highly-rated prospects in Europe, is now “dead in the water”.

Reports suggested the Portuguese club were demanding in the region of £12million, and Megson admitted Bolton have been priced out of a move.

“It’s now dead in the water and won’t happen,” said Megson.

“We tried to bring what we thought was a top-class player to the club but we can’t do it.

“To use an analogy, if you like a car but you can’t afford it then you have to look at something cheaper.”