Premiership Manager Of The Year

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Premiership Manager Of The Year

Post by Juewanderer » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:50 pm

Who would your five nominations be?

Here's mine:

Martin O'Neill (Aston Villa)

Rafael Benitez (Liverpool)

David Moyes (Everton)

Tony Pulis (Stoke)

Gianfranco Zola (West Ham)
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 pm

I'd be seriously to tempted to give it to the honest Moyes I think. He's done a great job with Everton this year.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Think I'll wait until the year is out TBH. :-)

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:02 pm

You appear to have put Martin O'Neill when you meant to type Roy Hodgson.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:30 pm

I'll probably wait until May to confirm my original choice of Ferguson.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:42 pm

Barring any f*ck ups I'd say Pulis

Reserve the right to change my mind in 7 games though!

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:20 pm

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the ginger Mourinho!

Actually even I couldn't make an acceptable case for that. Just forget I ever posted.

Sorry. :oops:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:57 am

Don't see why O'Neill should get it, look at the way their season is falling apart.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:28 am

Zola? How is he on the list?

But I'd say Hodgson should definitely be there.

As should O'Neill despite recent troubles.

My winner pending their confirmation of safety is Pulis.

Every time.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 am

My nominations would be :

Hodgson (Fulham)

Bruce (Wigan)

O'Neill (Villa)

Moyes (Everton)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Zola? How is he on the list?

Every time.
How's about coz he took a team in absolute chaos, a club in turmoil, with huge debts, financial insecurities, a massively publisised court case. Managed to keep his best players together throughout January, whilst getting an extortionate price for a talented, yet disruptive and injury-prone figure in Bellamy. All the while getting West Ham in a very strong position to get a Europa ( :@ ) spot. Add in making a profit, I think he has a pretty decent case for a nomination myself.

I agree with those saying it's too early though. A few weeks ago, O'Neill would have been a nailed on certainty, not so clearly. These awards always favour in form players/teams/mangers, which is hardly fair given it's a season long thing. How for instance is Pulis nominated, yet Phil Brown isn't. Stoke were a better side than Hull last season. Stoke had longer to prepare in the summer. Stoke have spent more money, and Stoke are one whole point above Hull. You cannot know until the season ends. Were Arsenal to win every game from now until the end of the season and somehow scrape a treble, there would be no questions Wenger would win it. Now that's very unlikely, but not unthinkable. If I had to pick now however, it would unquestionably be ol' Red Nose. Just because you expect someone to be amazing, doesn't make it any less valid when they are. They are still my favourites for every trophy they are in, and he for me is the best manager around. Honourable mentions to Moyes, O'Neill, Hodgson and Zola.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:36 am

Would any of you have given it to O'Neill last year? If not, then why this year? His side are on the same number of points as they were at this stage last year. Yeah they had a great start, but they've faded badly and will probably finish 6th.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:44 am

blurred wrote:Would any of you have given it to O'Neill last year? If not, then why this year? His side are on the same number of points as they were at this stage last year. Yeah they had a great start, but they've faded badly and will probably finish 6th.
Nope, but he would have got a nomination. Like this season. As I said above, if you'd asked a few weeks ago, he would probably have been a lot higher, when it looked like they were certs for a CL place, but this season, like last season, and most seasons I can remember, my vote (now, anyways) would be going to Rudolph. I missed FSW out in my earlier post, but I do think he deserves a mention. There's a title race (almost) and he takes a lot of credit for that. I've defended his managerial abilities staunchly over the past few months, and I certainly still stand by that. He's still a prick though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 am

Prufrock wrote:

Every time.
How's about coz he took a team in absolute chaos, a club in turmoil, with huge debts, financial insecurities, a massively publisised court case. Managed to keep his best players together throughout January, whilst getting an extortionate price for a talented, yet disruptive and injury-prone figure in Bellamy. All the while getting West Ham in a very strong position to get a Europa ( :@ ) spot. Add in making a profit, I think he has a pretty decent case for a nomination myself.

I agree with those saying it's too early though. A few weeks ago, O'Neill would have been a nailed on certainty, not so clearly. These awards always favour in form players/teams/mangers, which is hardly fair given it's a season long thing. How for instance is Pulis nominated, yet Phil Brown isn't. Stoke were a better side than Hull last season. Stoke had longer to prepare in the summer. Stoke have spent more money, and Stoke are one whole point above Hull. You cannot know until the season ends. Were Arsenal to win every game from now until the end of the season and somehow scrape a treble, there would be no questions Wenger would win it. Now that's very unlikely, but not unthinkable. If I had to pick now however, it would unquestionably be ol' Red Nose. Just because you expect someone to be amazing, doesn't make it any less valid when they are. They are still my favourites for every trophy they are in, and he for me is the best manager around. Honourable mentions to Moyes, O'Neill, Hodgson and Zola.
Bit of an exaggeration that. They weren't doing so badly under Curbishley. You could say Curbishley laid a lot of the foundations for Zola, who non the less has done a good job since taking over and brought through some young players. But it should be noted said young players were there ready and waiting for him.

Also the contribution of a Steve Clarke no doubt is playing a massive part.

Just not convinced he's a real contender for manager of the year. That might be the fact that I'd rather stab my own eyes out than give it to West Ham!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Every time.

Bit of an exaggeration that. They weren't doing so badly under Curbishley. You could say Curbishley laid a lot of the foundations for Zola, who non the less has done a good job since taking over and brought through some young players. But it should be noted said young players were there ready and waiting for him.

Also the contribution of a Steve Clarke no doubt is playing a massive part.

Just not convinced he's a real contender for manager of the year. That might be the fact that I'd rather stab my own eyes out than give it to West Ham!
First of all, I fully understand the last sentence. I had to type that through gritted fingers (if that makes sense!), and if Zola wasn't such an affable guy I'd probably bury my head in the sand and say he was doing sh*t anyway. However, whilst they were hardly bobbins under Curbishley, he has come in with no money to be spent, and a club openly with financial and general background problems. All that in a first job whilst managing to keep your better players at the club and focussed and push for a European place surely means he is worthy of consideration? As for Steve Clarke, what, good managers need good coaches? I suppose all the other managers on that list deliberately signed rubbish ones to prove how good they are? Clarke is undoubtedly a top coach and has played a big part, but I fail to see why the media constantly push that he is the main reason for their success.

In the end I don't think Zola is a real contender, but then I don't think Hodgson is, or O'Neill, or Pulis, or Brown. Moyes has done well but no better than in recent years, and for me it is Ferguson by a distance, unless Liverpool actually pull it off in which case Manuel has a very good shout.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:06 am

Keegan

Kinnear

Houghton

Shearer

Beardsley .... or whoever replaces Shearer with 3 games to go (Gascoigne ??? or Jackie Milburn ?? they haven't got many Messiah's left)

These guys have done the impossible entertaining approx 50 million English residents minus about 60,000 Geordies, way more than we are entitled to hope for.

My vote will be for whoever's in charge on the day they actually go down.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:23 am

If any manager makes any kind of double - esp if one element is the Champions League - they should be a shoo-in. If Benitez finally gets Liverpool to a Prem title he has to be in with a shout. If Moyes wasn't managing Everton, which club would not, if i had my way, be allowed to even exist, unless playing on cold muddy sunday mornings in a repeat offenders centre league, he would also have a claim, for very decent achievement in incredibly difficult circumstances.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:52 am

William the White wrote:for very decent achievement in incredibly difficult circumstances.
What are these incredibly difficult circumstances you speak of?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:03 pm

blurred wrote:
William the White wrote:for very decent achievement in incredibly difficult circumstances.
No fit strikers for most of the season. No serious money to spend on players. Living in Liverpool.

Just for starters...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 pm

William the White wrote:
blurred wrote:
No fit strikers for most of the season. No serious money to spend on players. Living in Liverpool.

Just for starters...
Having to spend time in "Goodison Park" every 2 weeks. Christ thats as hard as it gets!