I'll take 17th in the Premiership every year over this....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

I'll take 17th in the Premiership every year over this....

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 014811.stm

Sad day for Saints fans. Reminder for everyone else in the premiership how lucky they are!

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:11 pm

Two recent Prem sides now off to League One... could happen to us or almost any other team. Sobering.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 pm

ratbert wrote:Two recent Prem sides now off to League One... could happen to us or almost any other team. Sobering.
Going to be 3 at the end of the year - 6 of the bottom 7 (indeed 8 of the bottom 10) in the Championship have played in the Prem.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:56 pm

Not that long ago Southampton were seen as the way a small club should be run. Eighth place finish, FA cup final and all that. Then Strachan pissed off and it all fell to bits.

A brownie point for anyone who can get the Southampton-Bolton link.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:57 pm

warthog wrote:Not that long ago Southampton were seen as the way a small club should be run. Eighth place finish, FA cup final and all that. Then Strachan pissed off and it all fell to bits.

Wigley? Rasiak?

cophilie
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by cophilie » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:59 pm

warthog wrote:Not that long ago Southampton were seen as the way a small club should be run. Eighth place finish, FA cup final and all that. Then Strachan pissed off and it all fell to bits.

Fabrice Fernandes?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Super Kevin Davies.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:07 pm

My local club.

Nobody seems to know how this has happened...

Gutted. :(
If they do not avoid finishing in the bottom three then the points penalty will take effect next season.
So if they go down anyway, they'll start on -10...nice and fair then.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wigley? Rasiak?
Tis indeed Wiggers (at least in light of the demise). Briefly (very briefly) Southampton manager.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 pm

FD wrote:nice and fair then.
It is. That way they're not escaping a punishment. What's the point in punishing a side 10 points when they're already relegated? At this late stage, I have to say that's a great piece of common sense from the footballing powers that be, and it's not often I say that.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 pm

blurred wrote:
It is. That way they're not escaping a punishment. What's the point in punishing a side 10 points when they're already relegated? At this late stage, I have to say that's a great piece of common sense from the footballing powers that be, and it's not often I say that.
The way they pissed all over Leeds was good too.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:29 pm

blurred wrote:
I think either Leeds, or Boston, or both, did something similar. Went down to the last game as to whether they could be relegated. It got to half time, they were losing, results going against them, 99% sure they were down. So the club decided to take the 10 point deduction for that season. Stops clubs doing that like, so I think it is fair to ensure the club will be punished.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:30 pm

blurred wrote:
Sorry, I don't think it's fair to hold over a punishment. If its a punishment for this season then it should be on them this season. Is it fair to the fans that their club gets this punishment because they were run poorly? It's made worse by actually saying "If you don't manage to survive, we'll dock them next season instead".

Either way now, they are going down. WHATEVER they do right now, however many points they get, they ARE going down. Isn't that a punishment?

Still, I'm sure if it were Bolton or Liverpool we'd all be saying that it's fair.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:07 pm

blurred wrote:
Agreed.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:08 pm

I know I'm wrong deep down, don't worry ;)

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:10 pm

warthog wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Wigley? Rasiak?
Tis indeed Wiggers (at least in light of the demise). Briefly (very briefly) Southampton manager.
There are other significant links also. I am confident about the source of this info (it's hardly earth shattering):

PG and Rupert Lowe are very good mates, Lowe has often stayed at PG's place when Southampton have been up here.

Also, don't be surprised if we bid for David McGoldrick in the summer. We enquired about him about 3/4 years ago, when Southampton were doing well in the FA youth cup.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:50 pm

It's clubs like Southampton, Leicester and Charlton that for me put the job Megson has done into perspective. All once well run clubs, established in the Premiership, who pretty much fell to pieces after the departure of highly successful managers. I do think it's something of a minor miracle that it looks as though we might make it through the post-Allardyce transition. Maybe it'll catch up to us eventually, Final Destination-style. But at the minute i'm pleased that we seem to have cheated death and have some decent hope for the future.

Not sure I'd take 17th every season though, whatever the alternative. What'd be the point?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Tombwfc wrote:It's clubs like Southampton, Leicester and Charlton that for me put the job Megson has done into perspective. All once well run clubs, established in the Premiership, who pretty much fell to pieces after the departure of highly successful managers. I do think it's something of a minor miracle that it looks as though we might make it through the post-Allardyce transition. Maybe it'll catch up to us eventually, Final Destination-style. But at the minute i'm pleased that we seem to have cheated death and have some decent hope for the future.

Not sure I'd take 17th every season though, whatever the alternative. What'd be the point?
Bang on, but I don't like the final destination thing...I'm scared.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:29 pm

Tombwfc wrote:It's clubs like Southampton, Leicester and Charlton that for me put the job Megson has done into perspective. All once well run clubs, established in the Premiership, who pretty much fell to pieces after the departure of highly successful managers. I do think it's something of a minor miracle that it looks as though we might make it through the post-Allardyce transition. Maybe it'll catch up to us eventually, Final Destination-style. But at the minute i'm pleased that we seem to have cheated death and have some decent hope for the future.

My 'hope' for the future - because it's all i can have - is another season of cheating death (don't quote league position at me, please, whatever that has been, we've rarely been a secure number of points from the drop, and we aren't now.)

But, mostly, i've not enjoyed it. And a lot of times it has been horrible, and all through the team. When your clean sheet record is worse than West Brom's you know you've been tonguing the inept.

It's been dull. And often, when not dull, even worse. And the first season in years and years when I've not been to an away game.

So enjoy your decent hope. Don't know where you got it.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 am

I lived for 7 years near Southampton before I left the UK in 1994 and my son used to work at the Dell. So I have a close affinity with the Club and feel very sorry that such a "well run" club punching above its weight its weight in the Premiership (sound familiar) has finished up like this.

I have no problem with the deduction of 10pts, its the rules that all the Football League clubs agreed to, so how can they or anyone complain. The Club tried a fiddle by putting the Holding Company into administration to try and avoid the deduction of points but the accountants have seen through that scam, just shows what type of Directors they have at Southampton now to try such an obvious fiddle. Perhaps that's why the Cub has fallen on hard times.

As Blurred said 8 of the bottom 10 teams in the Championship have played in the Premeirship and for every Club that gets relegated and promoted back to the Premiership at least one other continues on their freefall down to the basement. It could very easily happen to Bolton because if we did get relegated and then failed to get promoted again in the next two seasons even our debt could easily take us into administration, parachutes sometimes fail to work!

So what Megson and Gartside have done to keep us in the Premiership they should be applauded not derided, as I for one don't want the Club to go the way of Leicester, Southampton, Leeds, Charlton, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED