Nolan sends Newcastle down?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 18, 2009 12:06 pm

Tombwfc wrote:And the equiliser, where he blocked the defender to allow Taylor to score. Oddly, no-one was slating this tactic then, or indeed (as shown on MoTD) when he fouled Rob Green against West Ham last season, which kept us in the division. You win some you lose some.

And like I've said, if he fouls a goalkeeper, he's not cost anyone a goal, because (in the referees opinion) there wouldn't have been a goal if he wasn't fouling the goalkeeper.
TANGODANCER wrote:The rule that allows this sort of blatant obstruction (I never thought it right when he played for us, nor his deliberately standing offside at free kicks) is more to blame than Nolan. I'm still not convinced he did much wrong (within the rules) yesterday.
... but that tactic of standing with his arms crossed on his chest, to show "I'm doing nothing wrong" was one he's taken up there with him. It 'worked' for us maybe a couple of times ... however, it led to free-kick & so wasted opportunities to us dozens of times.

I agree that, in fact, he's probably quite innocent, but on a cost/benefit analysis, it generally costs the team rather than helps it.

Corners these days are weird. Keepers get 100% protection; players are often not looking at the ball simply seeking to obstruct a runner; half the time the defenders look like they are doing judo as they hold, palm-off, block the person they are marking.

Overall, he really should just realise it isn't a succesful tactic and desist.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 18, 2009 12:09 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:And the equiliser, where he blocked the defender to allow Taylor to score. Oddly, no-one was slating this tactic then, or indeed (as shown on MoTD) when he fouled Rob Green against West Ham last season, which kept us in the division. You win some you lose some.

And like I've said, if he fouls a goalkeeper, he's not cost anyone a goal, because (in the referees opinion) there wouldn't have been a goal if he wasn't fouling the goalkeeper.
TANGODANCER wrote:The rule that allows this sort of blatant obstruction (I never thought it right when he played for us, nor his deliberately standing offside at free kicks) is more to blame than Nolan. I'm still not convinced he did much wrong (within the rules) yesterday.
... but that tactic of standing with his arms crossed on his chest, to show "I'm doing nothing wrong" was one he's taken up there with him. It 'worked' for us maybe a couple of times ... however, it led to free-kick & so wasted opportunities to us dozens of times.

I agree that, in fact, he's probably quite innocent, but on a cost/benefit analysis, it generally costs the team rather than helps it.

Corners these days are weird. Keepers get 100% protection; players are often not looking at the ball simply seeking to obstruct a runner; half the time the defenders look like they are doing judo as they hold, palm-off, block the person they are marking.

Overall, he really should just realise it isn't a succesful tactic and desist.
Surely on corners, which is something generally Manager plan out, he's being told to stand there and get in the way of the keeper by the Manager? If the tactic was unsuccessful, surely the Manager would tell him to stop doing it?

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Mon May 18, 2009 12:44 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Surely on corners, which is something generally Manager plan out, he's being told to stand there and get in the way of the keeper by the Manager? If the tactic was unsuccessful, surely the Manager would tell him to stop doing it?
Well, you'd think.

Except he did it here now he's gone we don't do it any more .... and Newcastle didn't do it, but they do now. I've never seen any other club doing it.

All of which suggests it's his idea.

The coach's should be in control, of course, but it seems like he's persuaded them to let him do it.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon May 18, 2009 1:19 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Surely on corners, which is something generally Manager plan out, he's being told to stand there and get in the way of the keeper by the Manager? If the tactic was unsuccessful, surely the Manager would tell him to stop doing it?
Well, you'd think.

Except he did it here now he's gone we don't do it any more .... and Newcastle didn't do it, but they do now. I've never seen any other club doing it.
Oh others do do it, but not every time.

I'd say once might be enough to unsettle a goalkeeper. Or stand on his toes then move off as the corner's kicked, which also gives defenders a new problem. Because as has been said, it's as sure as shit that if a keeper gets a grass-stained elbow he'll get a free-kick.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Mon May 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Presumably Allardyce, Lee, Megson, Kinnear, and Shearer have all told Nolan to stop screaming at the referee, and that hasn't worked either.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Mon May 18, 2009 2:02 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Presumably Allardyce, Lee, Megson, Kinnear, and Shearer have all told Nolan to stop screaming at the referee, and that hasn't worked either.
And one of them at least must have told him to shed a few pounds........

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon May 18, 2009 3:11 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
Presumably, if either screaming at referees or standing near the keeper at corners was that big an issue for any of Allardyce, Lee, Megson, Kinnear or Shearer (and I suspect Kinnear would probably rate it highly anyhow), they'd have dropped him, which to the best of my knowledge, all except Shearer (who currently has a track record shorter and worse than Sammy Lee) have failed to do.

Therefore presumably, they don't see either of these things as a big enough problem.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Cheer up, fella

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Verbal wrote: Mate, giggs doesn't have the legs any more.
Absolute rubbish, my friend. To say that Giggs doesn't have the legs that he once had is a fair point, but name me the finest right-back in the English Premier League, and I'll still put money on Giggs to leave that very right-back's blood spiralling as he turns him inside out. Ryan Giggs is a true legend of the English game, whether people like Man U or not.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Erm, Brucie baby, didn't you spot the joke. Or is this a further one thats flown way over?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Erm, Brucie baby, didn't you spot the joke. Or is this a further one thats flown way over?
Ah, just read it front forwards. :oops: A further one that's flown way over? Go on? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Mon May 18, 2009 10:36 pm

My head
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Juewanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Juewanderer » Thu May 21, 2009 11:11 am

Good article in todays Guardian entitled" Newcastle's tale of calamity".

It's well worth a read.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sIX ... t=football
Never give up on something that you can't go a day without thinking about.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu May 21, 2009 11:17 am

Alien3 wrote:Good article in todays Guardian entitled" Newcastle's tale of calamity".

It's well worth a read.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/ms/p/gmg/op/sIX ... t=football
That link sent me to someplace with the article but with crappy formatting >.<

Same article from his blog

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... aul-weaver
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu May 21, 2009 11:32 am

Worthy4England wrote:I got to say, I can't see the continued attraction behind pointing out how good, bad or indifferent a Newcastle player is. He's moved on, I suspect so should we.
It's the other football section worthy, this is other football :wink:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 24, 2009 9:43 pm

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/3 ... ining.html
ANDY CARROLL CROCKED
NEWCASTLE hitman Andy Carroll has fractured an ankle in training.

He was clattered in a tackle by team-mate Kevin Nolan and the injury will cost him an England Under-21 call-up this summer.

The setback could see him struggle to make the start of next season. Carroll has been an important player for boss Alan Shearer since he took over seven games ago, scoring the first goal of his reign at Stoke and being used as a key sub.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun May 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Do we really need four threads about the same thing?
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!