England 6- Andoran Wheeltappers and Shunters 0.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

England 6- Andoran Wheeltappers and Shunters 0.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 pm

Not much to say really is ther. Beckham was in fine form but hard to judge anything against this joke side. Black belt fifth dan at fouling but not much else. Green was able to get his hooves re-shod while ha watched the game.
Last edited by TANGODANCER on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:33 pm

You can only beat those put in front of you, and Andorra did a very shoddy job of trying to keep the score respectable. Very, very poor side despatched with plenty to spare.

Not wanting to sound overly critical, but Crouch had a shocker, bless him. Walcott showed a different, more agressive side to his game. Maybe it was immaturity at reacting to the kicking he was getting, maybe it was an encouraging sign of hunger from the lad.

Other than setting up two goals, what else did Glen Johnson do to deserve the man of the match award? As you mentioned, Beckham was excellent. No doubt we'll hear dismissive bull about how it was only against Andorra, but he was excellent.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:57 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:You can only beat those put in front of you, and Andorra did a very shoddy job of trying to keep the score respectable. Very, very poor side despatched with plenty to spare.

Not wanting to sound overly critical, but Crouch had a shocker, bless him. Walcott showed a different, more agressive side to his game. Maybe it was immaturity at reacting to the kicking he was getting, maybe it was an encouraging sign of hunger from the lad.

Other than setting up two goals, what else did Glen Johnson do to deserve the man of the match award? As you mentioned, Beckham was excellent. No doubt we'll hear dismissive bull about how it was only against Andorra, but he was excellent.
I though both Beckham and Lampard could easily have got MOTM. Rooney was in fine form but Gerard was reasonably quiet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:24 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:You can only beat those put in front of you, and Andorra did a very shoddy job of trying to keep the score respectable. Very, very poor side despatched with plenty to spare.

I though both Beckham and Lampard could easily have got MOTM. Rooney was in fine form but Gerard was reasonably quiet.
Beckham defo has a role to play there against shite. Moved the ball around very well. Wouldn't fancy a Beckham-Lamps midfield against anyone decent though. Agree on Walcott, though he still runs down blind allies a little too often.

Clive Tyldesly's voice makes me want to kill someone. The man is a clown. And Andy Townsend is still a smug tosser who adds nothing who should go sit in his tactics trick in the garage with the engine on.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:41 pm

Capello probably learned nothing at all about our game tonight due to the poor opposition; doubt if any of us did. We had a job to do and did it, but whether we have the game yet to take on the Brazil's Germany's or Spain's and win remains to be seen. Cashley and Johnson certainly won't get the levity they did tonight, with Terry often the only defender, against good opposition. Our attack won't often get the freedom of the city it had tonight either. Looks like mission accomplished as far as qualifying but then the real story begins.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 pm

See how they played today?? no wonder they're all retiring

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 am

Can't believe that Sheringham gave MOTM to Johnson, he did play well but Beckham was just pure class.

He reminded me a little bit of Hierro when he was here, just sat in the middle of the field and pinged balls with amazing accuracy all over the place.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:04 am

Beckham was good apart from the corners, free kicks and crossing. Every single set piece or cross was woeful.

As Prufrock said I wouldn't fancy him playing against a good side. He just isn't mobile enough now.
Last edited by malcd1 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:34 am

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

Beckham defo has a role to play there against shite. Moved the ball around very well. Wouldn't fancy a Beckham-Lamps midfield against anyone decent though. Agree on Walcott, though he still runs down blind allies a little too often.

Clive Tyldesly's voice makes me want to kill someone. The man is a clown. And Andy Townsend is still a smug tosser who adds nothing who should go sit in his tactics trick in the garage with the engine on.
What about David Pleat? The most annoying co-commentator there has ever been. Period.

I think he must try very hard to be that patronising.

On the game well was it really a game? England were fine apart from the appalling quality of delivery from out wide. Cashley and Johnson need to learn how to cross the ball as does Walcott.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Capello probably learned nothing at all about our game tonight due to the poor opposition; doubt if any of us did. We had a job to do and did it, but whether we have the game yet to take on the Brazil's Germany's or Spain's and win remains to be seen. Cashley and Johnson certainly won't get the levity they did tonight, with Terry often the only defender, against good opposition. Our attack won't often get the freedom of the city it had tonight either. Looks like mission accomplished as far as qualifying but then the real story begins.
I reckon we're a few years away from that. The core we have at present - the Gerrards, Lampards, Beckhams, Terrys and Ferdinands - have to see this next World Cup as their last, and the players coming up to replace them don't have the same all round quality that the other nations have coming through. The cautious optimism that was there after we beat Croatia needs to remain, not just after we've averaged nearly 4 goals a game in a perfect qualifying campaign, but all the way through the competition proper. It won't though, because the vast majority of England supporters in the build up to a major tournament are, well, morons.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:23 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Capello probably learned nothing at all about our game tonight due to the poor opposition; doubt if any of us did. We had a job to do and did it, but whether we have the game yet to take on the Brazil's Germany's or Spain's and win remains to be seen. Cashley and Johnson certainly won't get the levity they did tonight, with Terry often the only defender, against good opposition. Our attack won't often get the freedom of the city it had tonight either. Looks like mission accomplished as far as qualifying but then the real story begins.
I reckon we're a few years away from that. The core we have at present - the Gerrards, Lampards, Beckhams, Terrys and Ferdinands - have to see this next World Cup as their last, and the players coming up to replace them don't have the same all round quality that the other nations have coming through. The cautious optimism that was there after we beat Croatia needs to remain, not just after we've averaged nearly 4 goals a game in a perfect qualifying campaign, but all the way through the competition proper. It won't though, because the vast majority of England supporters in the build up to a major tournament are, well, morons.
True dat. Though I reckon we could beat Brazil, as they are shiiiiite atm. Everyone is clearly going to get carried away though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:49 pm

We are good enough to beat any team on our day and are good enough to win the world cup.

There are probably 12 or so teams though in the same boat.

We are not the best side in the world though, so will have to graft during the competition for everything we get!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:58 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

What about David Pleat? The most annoying co-commentator there has ever been. Period.

I think he must try very hard to be that patronising.

On the game well was it really a game? England were fine apart from the appalling quality of delivery from out wide. Cashley and Johnson need to learn how to cross the ball as does Walcott.
After all my energy has gone in to killing Tyldesly and Townsend with mind control, I couldn't ever bring myself to hate Pleat as I'd like.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't mind Pleat, at least he's tactically aware

Sure he does the names thing on purpose - we once sent a writer called Leo to interview him and Pleat pronounced it "Lay-o"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I don't mind Pleat, at least he's tactically aware

Sure he does the names thing on purpose - we once sent a writer called Leo to interview him and Pleat pronounced it "Lay-o"
But he is so feckin' boring! he makes Megson look like an extrovet!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Which is technically correct. :wink:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Disagree. Think his awareness stretches as far as stating the bleeing obvious.

"The full backs won't get this much freedom and space against the better sides" after more than an hour last night.

No shit sherlock. What he failed to point out was that for all the space they were both useless with their delivery into the box. In fact he failed to mention that in his whole career Ashley Cole has made one good delivery into the box and thats being generous.

He also has the knack of saying something then the exact opposite happening.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Disagree. Think his awareness stretches as far as stating the bleeing obvious.

"The full backs won't get this much freedom and space against the better sides" after more than an hour last night.

No shit sherlock. What he failed to point out was that for all the space they were both useless with their delivery into the box. In fact he failed to mention that in his whole career Ashley Cole has made one good delivery into the box and thats being generous.

He also has the knack of saying something then the exact opposite happening.
I thought Johnson was pretty good last night!!!!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Pleat's Guardian columns are tactically illuminating and he knows a lot more about a lot more players than me or thee

Didn't watch live last night, I was out, but I'd try to avoid ITV anyway cos of Tyldesley

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:55 am

The voice though, the horrible whining, grating voice... and the pomposity... how many times will he give us a version of 'there's no doubt about that...' and the smugness...

And his guardian columns are just unreadable...

Though no one has ever been worse than Atkinson, who spoke nothing but inanity, and non-stop, on air or off (wonder if he voted BNP?)...

Having said that... Elton Welsby... Jim Beglin...