Goal line technology....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Goal line technology....

Post by eddybwfc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:15 am

Last edited by eddybwfc on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:48 am

Couldn't happen to a nicer, more impartial bloke, too.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:11 am

Verbal wrote:Couldn't happen to a nicer, more impartial bloke, too.
Totally and utterly irrelevant.

We're WAY overdue technology in the game, imagine the ramifications if it were Man Utd in the FA Cup final. Wonder if it'd be different.

Warnock makes a point though, they should have let them go down and score a goal, but then, it's naive to believe any kind of sportmanship still exists in this game.

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:14 am

If that goal is counted then the whole game changes... Probably in palaces favour
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:18 am

FD wrote:
Verbal wrote:Couldn't happen to a nicer, more impartial bloke, too.
Totally and utterly irrelevant.

We're WAY overdue technology in the game, imagine the ramifications if it were Man Utd in the FA Cup final. Wonder if it'd be different.

Warnock makes a point though, they should have let them go down and score a goal, but then, it's naive to believe any kind of sportmanship still exists in this game.
tongue firmly in cheek, my friend. He does seem to be on the wrong end of controversy a lot though. Karma, or causal? Idk.

Obviously, goal line technology shouldn't be a case of 'if' at all. You have to expect human error on occassion and if the technology is there to clear up debates then it should be used.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:28 am

Nah, I know mate, wasn't meaning to have a go! :)

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:57 am

Regardless of goal-line technology, Gary Johnson has all but admitted that he'd seen it. What a nice person that makes him look.

But yeah, I'm not in favour of using technology for other decisions, but for something black and white like "Did it cross the line?" it's amazing how it still doesn't appear to be close to being implemented.

Village_Idiot2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Village_Idiot2 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Goal line technology would be fine, I just don't want the game stopping every 2 minutes for refs to check whatever doubftul decision. It would kill the game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Didn't a Gary Johnson side a few years ago allow the other team to score when his own side accidentally scored from a drop ball, and on his orders? Seems odd to do it then and not now.

And yes if the technology is there it should be used. Obviously for the sake of competition, but also, football is a massive business nowadays, that people have invested a lot of their cash in it. You'd be a bit peeved if the company you'd put millions on got knackered because there were archaic rules saying people had to guess at the FTSE.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:33 pm

Village_Idiot2 wrote:Goal line technology would be fine, I just don't want the game stopping every 2 minutes for refs to check whatever doubftul decision. It would kill the game.
But think of the excitement with goals scored every 2 minutes.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Prufrock wrote:Didn't a Gary Johnson side a few years ago allow the other team to score when his own side accidentally scored from a drop ball, and on his orders? Seems odd to do it then and not now.
Indeed, in a League cup match for Yeovil against Plymouth. His son scored the goal.

My mind might have been changed by recent events, but I'm amazed at how the lino hasn't seen that it's passed the line, even when he should have been twelve yards away from the goal line by being with the last man. The only possible thing obscuring his view would be his near post, and even then he could, from his position, see the far post to know that it's gone past that, yet not far enough to hit the ad boards.

I've yet to see an occasion when a player or manager has gone to the referee and rectified a ref's mistake by awarding the opposition something. But answer me this - had it been Bolton been in the shoes of Bristol City this and Megson had instructed a team to let a goal in, how would you react?
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:42 pm

I'd be incredibly proud.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm

I'd think it was fair enough.

This isn't like a dodgy penalty decision or other debateable occurances, Palace actually scored.

If it were us I'd be annoyed that we'd conceded in the first place mind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Village_Idiot2 wrote:Goal line technology would be fine, I just don't want the game stopping every 2 minutes for refs to check whatever doubftul decision. It would kill the game.
Oh come on, VI. I really have come to expect better from you than glib comments like that. I'll happily be proved wrong, but the only such incedent springing to my mind at our place was the header against Everton on The 'Bok's opening night.
That's one in 12 years at our place. As I say, there may be more, but to my mind these things tend to happen about once a season throughout the leagues, and as proved to be the case in 1997, an entire season can hinge on it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:04 pm

OK, let me give another question. Put yourselves in Megson's shoes, and it happens. Given the subterranean view that a large number of fans have for him, and it happens, would you understand him not letting the opposition go and score?
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Oh come on, VI. I really have come to expect better from you than glib comments like that. I'll happily be proved wrong, but the only such incedent springing to my mind at our place was the header against Everton on The 'Bok's opening night.
That's one in 12 years at our place. As I say, there may be more, but to my mind these things tend to happen about once a season throughout the leagues, and as proved to be the case in 1997, an entire season can hinge on it.
And it's good enough for other sports, so football shouldn't be immune. The game already has enough stoppages for players rolling about the floor pretending to be injured. Get referees to sort that out and then the game will flow better. And I'd rather stop for a correct decision to be made with video replays rather than have football killed by a rash of poor and unjustifiable actions that could make a big difference to clubs' fortunes at the end of a closely fought season.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:30 pm

Ideal solution would be a buzzer on the ref's wrist or something, instant and decisive - the ref can just point for a goal as he would normally.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eddybwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by eddybwfc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Athers wrote:Ideal solution would be a buzzer on the ref's wrist or something, instant and decisive - the ref can just point for a goal as he would normally.
Buzzer on mike rileys watch would not stop him from disallowing bolton a goal... he would just say it diddnt go off.

Village_Idiot2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Village_Idiot2 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I mean that I'm okay with goal line technology since these incidents are uncommon enough. But I would keep it at that. If we have to recheck penalty calls, sending offs, etc... I think it would be bad for the flow of the game.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Village_Idiot2 wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I probably didn't explain myself well enough. I mean that I'm okay with goal line technology since these incidents are uncommon enough. But I would keep it at that. If we have to recheck penalty calls, sending offs, etc... I think it would be bad for the flow of the game.
I think it was me that didn't read it properly :oops:

We do, of course, agree.
May the bridges I burn light your way