Trouble at West Ham v Millwall

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Trouble at West Ham v Millwall

Post by Verbal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:16 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 220770.stm

apparently there has been a stabbing too.

Also, what a sh*t week for west ham. Calum Davenport and his mother stabbed (get well soon, both of yous), Jack Collison's father his killed in a crash on his way to watch his son play at the weekend (condolences). Very sad for all concerned.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:20 pm

The timing is, shall we say, fcuking disgusting.

Still, hardly surprising either.
Viva La Portable Radio!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:31 pm

nothing suprises me with Millwall

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:33 pm

Now the West Ham fans are running on the pitch to get at the Millwall fans.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:34 pm

Spirit of '66, obviously.
Viva La Portable Radio!

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 pm

This is something that I never understood about the mentality of some football fans.

FD
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FD » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Sounds horrible, what utterly stupid, hideous f*cking c*nts some people are.

Is it 1970? Seriously, what is wrong with people...It's JUST football!

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:53 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8221451.stm

The article has been updated. Sounds fckin' terrible down there.

It certainly seems that Millwall were the aggressors and that, sadly, some West Ham fans took the bait.
Viva La Portable Radio!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 pm

60 West Ham fans have invaded the pitch, antagonising the Millwall fans. This is a disgrace. Bothg teams should have to play the next few fixures behind closed doors

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Can you even hear the word Millwall without mental pictures of lunacy?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Visiting Millwall c1975 counts amongst my least pleasant Wanderes watching experiences.

Not to be forgotten, and tonights events no surprise at all
What goes around may still come around

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Let's not make bones about this. West Ham have just as bad an element to their support, it's just that they have better PR – and, to be fair to them, a larger number of "ordinary" fans. The two clubs have despised each other for decades and a cup clash was always going to bring out the scum on both sides.

I have the deepest sympathy for any innocent victims caught up in the actions of the dregs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 pm

bw@bw wrote:Visiting Millwall c1975 counts amongst my least pleasant Wanderes watching experiences.

Not to be forgotten, and tonights events no surprise at all
Just change the year to 85 for me. On top of me getting a good kicking we'd lost 5-2 to boot! :evil:
May the bridges I burn light your way

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 am

mofgimmers wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8221451.stm

The article has been updated. Sounds fckin' terrible down there.

It certainly seems that Millwall were the aggressors and that, sadly, some West Ham fans took the bait.
The picture there looks like the ambush alley away fans were ushered down to be bricked by west ham fans last time i was there (and never again!).

Millwall have at least one nice supporter - a theatre director i know who wouldn't hurt a fly...

West Ham may be everyone's darlin but they had one of the biggest and most savage c*nt followers in the 70s (chelsea worse, probably millwall, but after them ICF)...

Both fined, and expelled from the competition if i had my way - why should any other supporters be placed at risk from hooligan followers of either bunch?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:38 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:Let's not make bones about this. West Ham have just as bad an element to their support, it's just that they have better PR – and, to be fair to them, a larger number of "ordinary" fans. The two clubs have despised each other for decades and a cup clash was always going to bring out the scum on both sides.

I have the deepest sympathy for any innocent victims caught up in the actions of the dregs.
What he said.

West Ham will be far from innocent in all this, they've been praying for this for a good tear-up for years. It's something like only 15 seasons that they've ever been in the same league at the same time, and they've not played in donkeys years. Was a nightmare waiting to happen, and hopefully nobody loses their life over it. I'd happily slap a football banning order on every single one of the morons who ran on the pitch tonight, and that's just the very thin end of the wedge because they're the most readily identifiable. Just absolutely no need for any of it.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:46 am

Horrible and embarrassing scenes last night, and accompanied this morning by pretty depressing reporting by our hyperactive media.

Apologies for veering slightly off-topic here; but this morning I watched Sky News who had a tabloid newspaper's chief football reporter in to comment on the trouble and he was making out that what happened last night could destroy England's future World Cup bid and I couldn't help but feel frustrated by such a comment.

Either he's being naive or I am, but since when did organisations such as UEFA or FIFA pay any attention to these sorts of incidents? Countries and cities such as Poland, Ukraine, Madrid and Rome have all recently been rewarded with European Championships and Champions League Finals respectively by UEFA, and FIFA has awarded the next two World Cups to South Africa and Brazil. All of these places have current and ongoing problems with violence and disorder in and around football that far out-strip what happens in the UK - I wonder whether last night's incidents really would have any bearing over FIFA's decision. Something tells me Blatter will go where the money and the votes are.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:59 am

Surely one of the least surprising headlines that you'll ever read is "Trouble at West Ham v Millwall".

Yet, this morning 5 Live have got this whole 'Is football hooliganism back?' debate going on because a bunch of Cockney knobheads have kicked off!
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 am

P.O.S. wrote:Either he's being naive or I am, but since when did organisations such as UEFA or FIFA pay any attention to these sorts of incidents?
1985? :conf:

The "commentators" are stirring it up by tutting over the potential implications for the Moral Majority. While obviously getting all the footage and pictures they can, in a not-at-all prurient fashion. And happily accepting advertising shekels from shit like Green Street.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:39 am

It annoys me that these idiots try and associate themselves with football. I bet a lot of em won't go to another game this season or even watch the scores come through.

Mindless ignorant thuggery.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:41 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Surely one of the least surprising headlines that you'll ever read is "Trouble at West Ham v Millwall".

Yet, this morning 5 Live have got this whole 'Is football hooliganism back?' debate going on because a bunch of Cockney knobheads have kicked off!
Yep, I rarely listen to the channel as it seeks to create arguement by deliberate controversy. The best thing about it are the interminable advert breaks.

I did tune in this morning, purely to see how they were portraying this. A bunch of knobs were calling in with 50% taking a "this is the fault of the police .... (or) ... the stewards" type shite. Apparently is was obvious that it was going to happen & the authorities are to blame for not preventing it.

Er ... no. The people to blame are the morons who were doing it.

Brazil & Irani said the caller who proposed setting aside a patch of ground where the fans looking for a fight could meet up & have a good ruck was "spot on". I despair.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".