"Playing Football The Right Way"

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

"Playing Football The Right Way"

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:57 pm

Three minutes into a second leg, where an early goal for All That Is Good And Pure About Football FC kills the tie, yet an early goal for Celtic (however unlikely it seemed) means game on. Artur Boruc dives for the ball but, sensing Eduardo da Silva is running towards him and knowing the ball is going to go out of play, pulls his arm away to ensure there's no foul. However, da Silva does the Dying Swan and, inexplicably, the Spanish referee is taken in by it. Not even poor positioning from the ref could really excuse him here - it's obvious from all angles but being underground that Boruc pulled away.

But we can't call him a cheat, because he once broke his leg. And he plays for All That Is Good And Pure About Football FC. Jesus. Even Jens Lehmann was laughed off with his disgusting attempts at getting players sent off, yet had they played for, say, Birmingham, Bolton or Blackburn, the pitchforks would be on fire by now.

Yes, an unfortunate injury to what was actually a clumsy tackle rather than common assault worthy of fans demanding the perpetrator and his entire family die of cancer, but how can anyone give it the moral stuff about Arsenal when their players are doing this?
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: "Playing Football The Right Way"

Post by Prufrock » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:16 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Three minutes into a second leg, where an early goal for All That Is Good And Pure About Football FC kills the tie, yet an early goal for Celtic (however unlikely it seemed) means game on. Artur Boruc dives for the ball but, sensing Eduardo da Silva is running towards him and knowing the ball is going to go out of play, pulls his arm away to ensure there's no foul. However, da Silva does the Dying Swan and, inexplicably, the Spanish referee is taken in by it. Not even poor positioning from the ref could really excuse him here - it's obvious from all angles but being underground that Boruc pulled away.

But we can't call him a cheat, because he once broke his leg. And he plays for All That Is Good And Pure About Football FC. Jesus. Even Jens Lehmann was laughed off with his disgusting attempts at getting players sent off, yet had they played for, say, Birmingham, Bolton or Blackburn, the pitchforks would be on fire by now.

Yes, an unfortunate injury to what was actually a clumsy tackle rather than common assault worthy of fans demanding the perpetrator and his entire family die of cancer, but how can anyone give it the moral stuff about Arsenal when their players are doing this?
And then the next hour listening to Beavis and Butthead debating 'where clever play ends, and cheating begins'. A long fecking way back. If it had been Bolton, or any other non-fashionable club, it would have been pitchforks at the ready.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:24 am

From BBC Sport. Read it and weep.

Wenger refuses to condemn Eduardo
Wenger admitted Arsenal were fortunate to win a penalty
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger refused to condemn striker Eduardo after he came under fire from Celtic's players in the Champions League clash at the Emirates.
Celtic claimed Eduardo dived to win a penalty after a clash with goalkeeper Artur Boruc, recovering to set Arsenal on the way to a 3-1 win.
Arsenal's victory sent them into the Champions League group stage.
"I do not want a penalty which is not a penalty, but I do not go as far to say Eduardo dived," said Wenger.
"From outside I must say it looked a penalty, but having seen it again on television, it doesn't look to be a penalty.
"But I must still say that we were likely always to score the first goal because Eduardo had a great chance before the penalty and we always looked in control of the game.
"I believe really that it was not a penalty but I am also not sure that the keeper didn't touch him with his right knee, having seen it again.
"He went down, for what reason I do not know. But I do not think he would have complained if the penalty was not given.
"Is it acceptable? I never asked in my life any guy to dive to win a penalty but sometimes the players go down because there is no other way to escape the tackling of the keeper. Sometimes they dive."

Wenger recalled the painful Champions League defeat against Liverpool in 2008 when he said: "We got a penalty two years ago in the quarter-final of the Champions League at Liverpool that made the difference when Ryan Babel dived, nobody ever apologised to us, it was a blatant dive and nobody spoke about it."
He was delighted with the performance and result - believing it was the perfect preparation for Saturday evening's trip to Manchester United.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 am

Can't believe neutrals even bother watching the so called champions league. It's the same old hype and same old shite every year.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:50 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Can't believe neutrals even bother watching the so called champions league. It's the same old hype and same old shite every year.
Indeed, I prefer watching the Waffa cup myself, it's much more exciting to neutrals.

I also thought Celtic were the better team before the goal and they were clearly riled by the decision

Village_Idiot2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Village_Idiot2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 am

boltonboris wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:Can't believe neutrals even bother watching the so called champions league. It's the same old hype and same old shite every year.
Indeed, I prefer watching the Waffa cup myself, it's much more exciting to neutrals.

I also thought Celtic were the better team before the goal and they were clearly riled by the decision
I agree. I'm not a neutral, but apart from Barça's matches I find UEFA cup (sorry, Europa League) much more fun, with lots of fresh teams outside the usual suspects that make the CL year in, year out.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:58 am

Village_Idiot2 wrote:with lots of fresh teams outside the usual suspects that make the CL year in, year out.
More teams are making their debut in the group stages of the CL this year than ever before. The new qualifying format has certainly helped in that respect (and means I could get a tasty trip or two out of it).

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:06 am

Who are the new ones this year?

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:13 am

I've just seen the Draw Fix, sorry, "seedings", and there are seven clubs in Pot 4 who are making their debuts - Wolfsburg is one, and the rest are Rubin Kazan, AZ Alkmaar, Standard Liège, Unirea Urziceni, Debreceni, APOEL Nicosia and FC Zürich.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:15 am

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: Unirea Urziceni, .
That sounds like summat you need a visit to the clinic for.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote: Unirea Urziceni, .
That sounds like summat you need a visit to the clinic for.
Only if you've got a dog. Managed by Dan Pet Rescue.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 pm

Much the same mate. I watched three games last year I think, but it was the first time for about five years, it's even more repetitive than the Premier League coverage.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:38 pm

fatshaft wrote:
Much the same mate. I watched three games last year I think, but it was the first time for about five years, it's even more repetitive than the Premier League coverage.
Even with ten new teams in the competition, the focus will still be on the same teams. If you want any variety, you need to shell out for Sky Sports, or you just have to endure the sycophantic shit laid onto the So Big You're Worthless If You Don't Support Them Four. I just gave up before half time last night, and chucked the remote control to Mrs K, giving her control of the telly for the rest of the night. And that'll continue right through to the final.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Blackpool 4-1 Wigan. Oh dear...... :shock:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Never been a fan of Champion's League. I am sure it is great for the participating teams fans, but I only ever watch semis and finals, and only if an English Team is involved. While we will get 4 games televised live in Thailand each game week, it is always the same teams featured.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 pm

Let's not get off the original topic here.

Yesterday, Ian Wright's stupid opinionated mug was plastered all over, advertising The Sun, saying "The sooner they dock points for diving, the better".

Still thinking that, Wrighty? Should we throw Arsenal out?

One other thing about Arsenal, and I warn you I will keep repeating it: No PL team scored more headers or more from set pieces last season. That's numberwengerball.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:38 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
Even with ten new teams in the competition, the focus will still be on the same teams. If you want any variety, you need to shell out for Sky Sports, or you just have to endure the sycophantic shit laid onto the So Big You're Worthless If You Don't Support Them Four. I just gave up before half time last night, and chucked the remote control to Mrs K, giving her control of the telly for the rest of the night. And that'll continue right through to the final.
I wouldn't shell out for Sky Sports:

1. I'd see about 3 Bolton matches a season
2. I'd watch a bit of cricket (got a 2nd box so the missus can't complain!)
3. I'd maybe watch a little of the Rugby

After that I'm struggling. Not going to shell out for that.

Actually, I went to the Rugby recently and I'm tempted to go and watch that on a semi-regular basis and just not bother watching any football. Football has lost most of it's appeal for me in the last few years and I'm not sure I can be bothered :(

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 pm

Sky Sports has the delights of Fish O Mania and the annual Isle of Man parish walk. What's not to like?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:06 pm

ratbert wrote:Sky Sports has the delights of Fish O Mania and the annual Isle of Man parish walk. What's not to like?
I've got the Fish O Mania box set :wink:

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:55 pm

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab wrote:Only if you've got a dog. Managed by Dan Pet Rescue.
The old ones are the best.

Rightly f*cked off that Celtic should be out already. That's massive for them. Also still trying to work out if it's more important that Arsenal were clinical with their chances over two legs, or that they're a team of diving gits.
Last edited by Jakerbeef on Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.