40 yard header

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

40 yard header

Post by Verbal » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:45 am

"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am

Not as good as Big Sam v Sunderland... thought i'd get in first with that one... :wink:

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 am

Or the one I scored for Springside County Primary vs Chantlers Primary in about 1993. Halfway line that one was.

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 am

Tony Cunningham v ? at Burnden Park.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:57 am

Hugh Curran into the goal at the Great Lever End - many, many years ago! :cry:
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:34 pm

William the White wrote:Not as good as Big Sam v Sunderland... thought i'd get in first with that one... :wink:
Didn't he break someone's jaw celebrating that goal?
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:14 pm

bobby5 wrote:
William the White wrote:Not as good as Big Sam v Sunderland... thought i'd get in first with that one... :wink:
Didn't he break someone's jaw celebrating that goal?
No, the only jaw break I recall was Jim McDonagh on Irvine Nattras .v. Newcastle in the FA Cup, Jan '76. He came to punch the ball out & connected with IN's jaw.

The same season, I think.
Last edited by bobo the clown on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Anyone seen the Riquelme goal in the same game? He's still got it.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shevchenko54
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by shevchenko54 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am

Athers wrote:Anyone seen the Riquelme goal in the same game? He's still got it.
Riquelme is a prime example of wasted talent. Absolutely world class footballer but a typical aytine fruitcase to go with it!

Come to mention it.....hasn't Maradonna recalled Palermo in to the Argenina Squad? Messi, Aguerro, Tevez, Higuan and errr Palermo!

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:19 am

shevchenko54 wrote:
Riquelme is a prime example of wasted talent. Absolutely world class footballer but a typical aytine fruitcase to go with it!

Come to mention it.....hasn't Maradonna recalled Palermo in to the Argenina Squad? Messi, Aguerro, Tevez, Higuan and errr Palermo!
Wasted career? He played for Boca, Barcelona, Villarreal and Argentina - all top teams. I agree he probably should have lasted longer in Europe, but I disagree that it was wasted.

shevchenko54
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by shevchenko54 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:41 am

Bruno wrote:
shevchenko54 wrote:

Wasted career? He played for Boca, Barcelona, Villarreal and Argentina - all top teams. I agree he probably should have lasted longer in Europe, but I disagree that it was wasted.
Fair point , Wasted may have been the wrong word to use, and tbh I was shocked to see that he'd played over 100 times for Villareal! Still someone of his quality should have spent much longer plying his trade with a big European club.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:07 am

I think it was van Gaal who bombed him out of Barcelona....shame that.

Village_Idiot2
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Village_Idiot2 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:02 pm

Bruno wrote:I think it was van Gaal who bombed him out of Barcelona....shame that.
It was Rijkaard actually. He was too slow (not only in pace, but in playing tempo) and needed the whole team to play around him. He couldn't get that at Barça (or any top European team), but he was top dog at Villarreal and was allowed to dictate their play there (and was excellent for them). No regrets on my part.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Not 40 yards, but an impressive, long distance header nonetheless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YzXB0LuZZs

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:38 pm

shevchenko54 wrote:
Bruno wrote:
shevchenko54 wrote:

Fair point , Wasted may have been the wrong word to use, and tbh I was shocked to see that he'd played over 100 times for Villareal! Still someone of his quality should have spent much longer plying his trade with a big European club.
Not big but perfectly suited for him to playmake for you'd suppose - they did reach the CL semis.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:45 pm

Palermo keeps Argentina's World Cup hopes alive . . . great story.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:49 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Palermo keeps Argentina's World Cup hopes alive . . . great story.
The forgotten man of Football. Wasn't there massive expectations on him to fill the boots of one Gabriella Batistuta? Also, didn't he play for Villareal before moving back to Boca

In fairness to Martin Palermo, the boots of Batigol won't be filled for another decade yet. Higuain (good), Tevez (good) and Aguerro (Excellent) still aren't fit to lace his boots

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:40 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Hugh Curran into the goal at the Great Lever End - many, many years ago! :cry:
In one of my first games we beat Bristol Rovers (Alan Warboys, Bruce Bannister, et al) 5-1. Curran was in for Whatmore and scored a peach of a diving header into the Embankment End. I just thought that I'd mention that, and also thank you for having the Librarian of my cerebral cortex fish that one out. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:41 pm

boltonboris wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:Palermo keeps Argentina's World Cup hopes alive . . . great story.
The forgotten man of Football. Wasn't there massive expectations on him to fill the boots of one Gabriella Batistuta? Also, didn't he play for Villareal before moving back to Boca

In fairness to Martin Palermo, the boots of Batigol won't be filled for another decade yet. Higuain (good), Tevez (good) and Aguerro (Excellent) still aren't fit to lace his boots
It's not so much they aren't good enough, Aguerro is a better player than Batistuta was, but they don't have that sort of player. Crespo was hugely overrated but he did an important job. Tevez, Aguerro, Messi are all good players but none are comfortable back to goal. And none of them can take a tough ball in and make it stick in that situation.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:43 pm

Crespo overrated? GTFO, his record is up there with the very best.