Sean O Driscoll and Brian Laws

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:46 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote: Has he? Ask Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe fans (his only two managerial positions) and see what they think!

At least Megson had promoted a team to the premiership twice!

Not that I'm saying Megson is better than Laws just that I think its hard to say Laws has a more distinguished pedigree so far.

One thing about Laws is he usually got Wednesday very fired up for the derbies and had a decent record in them. So we'd best bear that in mind for the 26th!
From what I've read both sets of fans seem to think he did a decent job. He took Scunthorpe from 4th tier to 2nd tier over the period he was there, and Wednesday fans seem to think he did a decent job on a low budget until they had a bad run this season.

Perhaps the most telling stat is that Megson had 6 or 7 clubs before us, whereas Laws has been a manager for a similar period and has had 3 jobs, 2 main ones.

Hopefully we will see that OC was a miracle worker whilst at Burnley, and they are unable to perform to the same level under a new manager, especially on the 26th. If it came down to the last day though, and it's them, West Ham or Wolves, then I will be shouting for them.

Absolutely! and for PNE in the champ play-offs... Then, with the exception of Accrington we'd have all the lancashire founders of the football league in the top division. and that would make me grin very widely! :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:54 pm

Puskas wrote:
FaninOz wrote:Strange decision though, but then so was Sam when he came to us. But we were in the Championship at the time, as where Burnley when they appointed Coyle.

They will be lucky to survive now.
Why was Allardyce a strange decision?

He'd been successful at Blackpool, before being sacked after taking them to the play-offs. By a chairman in gaol.

He was successful at Notts County.

He had a good coaching pedigree. And, obviously, he'd done well in the interview.

Nothing strange about that.

Now Megson's appointment - that was strange...
Absolutely. I welcomed the appointment of Allardyce and couldn't have praised Gartside highly enough at the time for him having been brave enough to back clear potential rather than have gone down the route of bringing in a more-clubs-than-Seve type.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Aye, wasn't Roy Evans one of the front runners?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:47 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote: From what I've read both sets of fans seem to think he did a decent job. He took Scunthorpe from 4th tier to 2nd tier over the period he was there, and Wednesday fans seem to think he did a decent job on a low budget until they had a bad run this season.

Perhaps the most telling stat is that Megson had 6 or 7 clubs before us, whereas Laws has been a manager for a similar period and has had 3 jobs, 2 main ones.

Hopefully we will see that OC was a miracle worker whilst at Burnley, and they are unable to perform to the same level under a new manager, especially on the 26th. If it came down to the last day though, and it's them, West Ham or Wolves, then I will be shouting for them.
I nicked this off the Carrots Mad website. It will give you an idea what some Scunny fans think of Laws. This description makes Megson seem like a genius.
Greetings - firstly may I introduce myself as an SUFC supporter of 30 years, who has consistently travelled home and away and is very close to the club. I've been to Turf Moor loads of times and have several BFC friends - a decent, wholesome club (much like Wednesday).

In a decade at United, Laws took EIGHT years to sell a player (Paul Hayes £140k), ruined at least a dozen QUALITY youth players and spent (in our terms) HOLLYWOOD budgets on the likes of Steve Torpey (200k), Peter Beagrie (6k a week), Lee Hodges (130k) etc ... his greatest result was to convince the townsfolk of Scunthorpe that we were even smaller than we ever were and that he was the Messiah for keeping us in the league. In ten years he really did win over those daft supporters who appreciate 'passion and commitment'...his 'heart on his sleeve' touchline gags really did make those 1996/Euro '96 types think that he was right and the players were at fault for his poor record and this continued until we nearly slipped into the conference...his reaction to this was to walk out, on transfer deadline day and leave the club in disarray, with 80k 'gardening leave'....to cut a long story short some of his friends took over the club within two weeks (although this had been planned for months) and re-appointed Laws, gave him a huge budget and the year after we went up on the final day (after blowing a nine point lead)....he did keep us up and then walked out to go to Wednesday.

So, in a decade he spent loads, sold next to nowt, ruined loads of youth players, fell out with the supporters and players BUT had friends on the board - a return of two promotions and one relegation in a decade was hardly inspiring and just as Buckley turned his Grimsby side into a promotion/AWS cup winning within a season...Nigel Adkins binned the TARGET MAN/LONG BALL into attractive football, won the title, showed us the CCC, won promotion via the play offs and took us to a JPT final, totally whitewashing the 'Laws years.

What happened at Wednesday was predictable - inconsistency, matey with the Chairman and senior players, loadsa excuses then finally the sack...I never thought Id see him in a dug out again....

So - BFC....why on Earth have you appointed this perenial loser? One concludes that he must have the gift of the gab but see him on TV or read his interviews and he comes across truthfully as the Daily Sport reading, big haired throw back of the 1980s charactature that he is - so I dunno how he has managed it but he has...furthermore, in a job like Burnleys where he is expected to fail, you can look forward to him relegating you, spending loads, then having a few seasons to take you back up!

I'm gutted cos I like to see BFC do well but now, well just a laughing stock...he has been in management (bar two, three week breaks when sacked) since 1994 yet done very little...compared to Coppell, Curbishly, Shearer and all the other great unemployed gaffers his record is appalling....so - can he do it?

NO.

I wish every ex Iron gaffer all the best but not Laws....if he was made of chocolate he'd eat himself, his entire record is rubbish and I was stunned to see Sky Sports (on loop) crediting with taking Wednesday up! that was Sturrock .... typical of Laws...probs worth a tenner on him as next England boss!

In conclusion - an unpopular gaffer at SUFC amongst the regular fans and his appointment at Burnley is the greatest shock I've witnessed in 30 years following the beautiful game - I was stunned he was even linked.

All the very best for the season - get ready for the Laws-isms, his blueprint is Ron Manager.

Up the Iron!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Shearer?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Thinking about it Sean O Driscoll is probably due a new challenge/bigger job now?