Do we care about the World Cup?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Do we care about the World Cup?

Hugely
49%
Yes, as long as England's there
27%
A bit
16%
Not much
9%

Total votes: 45

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:21 pm

P.O.S. wrote:At least most of us seem to share the same dislike of the game stealers who turn out only when England are still around. My own pet hate? All these women taking time off work so they can go out in their tight little England shirts and jump around in the pub going "come on Lampsy!" or "oh I wonder when Becks is going to come on..." when in reality they havent got a clue about the game. They're stealing the game off us, give it back!!

*Since re-reading what Ive just written, I must point out that at any other time during the year if women want to wear tight shirts and jump around in them, they'll do for me.
What??? For the love of Beckham..... There's women out in the pub ??? Not in the kitchen??? The world's gone mad. I'm seriously pssed off about this, good think you brought it to the immediate attention of the universe. Well done.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I think you missed my point!

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Gertie wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:At least most of us seem to share the same dislike of the game stealers who turn out only when England are still around. My own pet hate? All these women taking time off work so they can go out in their tight little England shirts and jump around in the pub going "come on Lampsy!" or "oh I wonder when Becks is going to come on..." when in reality they havent got a clue about the game. They're stealing the game off us, give it back!!

*Since re-reading what Ive just written, I must point out that at any other time during the year if women want to wear tight shirts and jump around in them, they'll do for me.
What??? For the love of Beckham..... There's women out in the pub ??? Not in the kitchen??? The world's gone mad. I'm seriously pssed off about this, good think you brought it to the immediate attention of the universe. Well done.
yay!! welcome back Gertie!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:If we did without WAGS, ridiculous xenephobic tabloid headlines, live feeds of people watching it in the pub, park, fanzone, w*nkzone.... people flying sh*t flags from their cars, in fact people flying St George on any available square inch, live footage of p*ssed up tatooed-with-shorts-on-only England fans drinking their 30th can of ale that morning and claiming they were provoked, stupid wall-to-wall interviews with gurning England players with nothing to say, the BBC trying to come up with some twee sh*te studio, ITV being rubbish, SKY being worse, every celebrety on earth professing their love of England apart from some token Scot (money on James Bond or Renton) saying "aha, of course I'm Scottish, so I'm not cheering for England" (back to the studio for much hilarity and chuminess)...

Basically, if it wasn't for all the baggage I have to wade through, I'd enjoy it. But I don't, so I won't really be that bothered.
Pretty much this with the addition of...

I cannot stand half the players that inevitably are picked and overhyped every week of the year. When they aren't overhyped they are still plastered all over the press because they shagged someone they should have, or twatted someone they should have but will get off because they're dead famous or summat. I just can't bring myself to support a team that has Terry, Gerrard and the other over rated tossers in it...

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:22 pm

thebish wrote:
Gertie wrote:

Ditto. Good to see you back .... hope to see you more.

Did you get to Jussi's 35th birthday party ?
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:00 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gertie wrote:

I think the restraining order is still in force.... she's not allowed within 2 miles of Jussi's home..

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:02 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
thebish wrote:
Gertie wrote:

I think the restraining order is still in force.... she's not allowed within 2 miles of Jussi's home..
You see I had that covered. I baked myself into a giant birthday cake and delivered to his home. Only Owen's got them on this weird no refined sugar diet so I was ignored for ages. I had to eat my way out and I've still got remnants of fondant icing in my belly button. Sigh. T'is a tough life unrequired love.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Doesn't HP live in South Korea? I think it's fair enough to have a fondness for the county you live in.

Granted, English folk who say they support Brazil or whatever can feck off.
A "fondness" is fine, an interest say. But declaring yourself a fan of three countries?

Not a chance. I'm no mad England fan either, and I'll enjoy watching the South Korea games to see how Lee does. But end of the day you just cannot be a "fan of several countries" just because you feel like it. Even if you do live there.

It just smacks of "this year I'm going for the Germans, I think they have the best chance" titwankery.
I think you may have gone a little over the top, BWFCI. I've supported England since my first World Cup of 1958 (though they pissed me off by leaving out Nat that year). Indeed I support them in a number of sports when I can get to see them. I've lived in Canada for over 45 years and I support those teams as well (although footie doesn't offer much scope :oops: there). World Cup here is enjoyable because we are an immigrant country and all the teams have supporters (some absolutely fanatical) - yet I'd bet the vast majority would have supported the Canadian hockey team in the recent Olympics. My only problem is when England (or GB) plays Canada at something - I get split loyalties. I see nothing wrong in HP supporting the land of his birth (someone has to) and the places he lived in and now lives in. It lessens the number of games you don't care who wins...
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:21 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tombwfc wrote:Doesn't HP live in South Korea? I think it's fair enough to have a fondness for the county you live in.

Granted, English folk who say they support Brazil or whatever can feck off.
A "fondness" is fine, an interest say. But declaring yourself a fan of three countries?

Not a chance. I'm no mad England fan either, and I'll enjoy watching the South Korea games to see how Lee does. But end of the day you just cannot be a "fan of several countries" just because you feel like it. Even if you do live there.

It just smacks of "this year I'm going for the Germans, I think they have the best chance" titwankery.
I think you may have gone a little over the top, BWFCI. I've supported England since my first World Cup of 1958 (though they pissed me off by leaving out Nat that year). Indeed I support them in a number of sports when I can get to see them. I've lived in Canada for over 45 years and I support those teams as well (although footie doesn't offer much scope :oops: there). World Cup here is enjoyable because we are an immigrant country and all the teams have supporters (some absolutely fanatical) - yet I'd bet the vast majority would have supported the Canadian hockey team in the recent Olympics. My only problem is when England (or GB) plays Canada at something - I get split loyalties. I see nothing wrong in HP supporting the land of his birth (someone has to) and the places he lived in and now lives in. It lessens the number of games you don't care who wins...
Absolutely - I was very much behind Holland when I was living there during Euro 2008, and they will definitely be the second team I pull for after England in the summer. I think Insane has lost the plot slightly on this one.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

btbackthebid
Hopeful
Hopeful

World Cup 2018

Post by btbackthebid » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 am

Guys,
we need as many people as possible to back England's 2018 World Cup bid.
Back the bid at www.bt.com/2018

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:10 am

btbackthebid wrote:Guys,
You know, I might agree if the fecking FA, PL & various other bodies involved could get their act together & stop all the in-fighting.

Until they can there's no point the fans doing as it's an open door to the other countries, UEFA, FIFA et al to tell us 'no'.

So, go tell that to whatever organisation you are from.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 am

Gertie wrote: .... I've still got remnants of fondant icing in my belly button.
... Oh, Gertie. I've told you before ....

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Gertie wrote: .... I've still got remnants of fondant icing in my belly button.
... Oh, Gertie. I've told you before ....
Indeed. You leave yourself wide open my girl. :shock: :mrgreen:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:01 pm

Gertie wrote:I've still got remnants of fondant icing in my belly button.

Gertie's late bid for TW tease of the season! 8)

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:48 pm

btbackthebid wrote:Guys,
That southern based London team, at the ground where you have to pay over the odds to buy anything and can't get to easily

I'll pass
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

Raven
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Raven » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
H. Pedersen wrote:That seems like an awfully minor argument over semantics.
NO! Its about the "post 96" breed of football fan who supports whoever is winning at the time club or country.
WTF . . . since when are Denmark and South Korea racking up the trophies? :crazy:
Exactly.........neither are Wales :)

Its nit picking, I gave up on England years ago, just when I started getting interested in football and picked the team of my surname/ancestors (not traced them yet), did not do the sensible option and pick Holland (least they get to tournaments).
My dog (proper 57) had his anal glands emptied once and yes the smell is something to behold!!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 pm

thebish wrote:

Although her competition is somewhat limited.
CAPSLOCK wrote:Anybody who says they wouldn't is batting fer yerksher and that tattoo would look better covered in my tippex
:|
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
thebish wrote:

Although her competition is somewhat limited.
CAPSLOCK wrote:Anybody who says they wouldn't is batting fer yerksher and that tattoo would look better covered in my tippex
:|

errr... thanks for reminding us mummy! :vomit:

now - by the theory of "might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb" - if only Gordon Brown had said that about Gillian Duffy.... 8)

rockthereebok
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by rockthereebok » Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm

as wrote:I used to care about it.

Now I see the likes of Heskey (3 PL goals all season!) getting in the squad and it makes me realise that we've no chance.

I'll be around for the booze-ups, but will ignore any annoying glory-hunters with their usual 'if Giggs was English - we'd have won the world cup' nonsense.
Oddly, the World Cup can be a bit more exciting without England. Yes, I want them to win (they won't) but I do get sick of a) the part time fans and b) the constant press coverage which is far too over the top. (Time to watch a World Cup overseas, perhaps?) To be honest, this time around I want us to either win it or go out at the group stages, and as this World Cup football article points out that could happen if the US do us over in the group stage. Still, what I expect to get is a quarter final defeat on pens and everyone banging on about how close we've come.