Do we care about the World Cup?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Hugely
49%
Yes, as long as England's there
27%
A bit
16%
Not much
9%

Total votes: 45

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 pm

I've booked a holiday in Portugal covering quarter final to final in a place that has no bars-with-telly. There's a TV in the apartment but I've never switched it on in the three years we've holidayed there, but I'm certain it doesn't have satellite.

And I'm not remotely anxious about it, and don't care very much how well England do.

The annual weekend city break, beer and art, amsterdam this year, on the other hand, is never booked until the fixtures are out so that we don't miss a home game by accident.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm excited about it.

Not really about England but cos there will be some footy to watch over the summer and because I can enjoy it rather than sit in agony watching Bolton try and hang on!

Love world cups, and all the colour, flavour and atomosphere that go with them. Always have done.

Would be the same if England weren't still in!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm excited about it.

Not really about England but cos there will be some footy to watch over the summer and because I can enjoy it rather than sit in agony watching Bolton try and hang on!

Love world cups, and all the colour, flavour and atomosphere that go with them. Always have done.

I'm the complete opposite, don't like international football, it's pish. World Cup is kinda fun, though I hate the coverage and their shite attempt at national stereotypes. Oh the French love cheese, and the Dutch know how to have a good time. Care about England though, though not even nearly as much as about Bolton. Never seen a World Cup without England in it, so maybe it is different from the Euros, but I found that tedious.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:14 pm

Prufrock wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:I'm excited about it.

I'm the complete opposite, don't like international football, it's pish. World Cup is kinda fun, though I hate the coverage and their shite attempt at national stereotypes. Oh the French love cheese, and the Dutch know how to have a good time. Care about England though, though not even nearly as much as about Bolton. Never seen a World Cup without England in it, so maybe it is different from the Euros, but I found that tedious.
I'm not fussed about internationals either. But during the summer they fill a void, and world cups especially throw up some great games sometimes. The quality is always overestimated though I agree!

But you get to see players you wouldn't normally and there is always a surprise who comes through.

And whilst I'm not really an "England fan" and can't stand most of the players no doubt I'll be taking time off if needs be to see their games. And the atomosphere is always decent while England are still in it!

For all my England players and new-breed fan loathing and the fact it was probably responsible for it, I still loved Euro 96. It was a fantastic atomosphere everywhere and I went to a few games (not England ones) and it was brilliant!

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:43 pm

I love the World Cup, can't wait for it. I'm an England fan but I'd be excited whether we were there or not. I actually prefer the European Championships in terms of quality of games, I think the stronger teams are forced to play eachother from the start rather than having to wait until later in the tournament - Euro 2008 was probably the best international tournament Ive seen since I started watching. There's always a few shocking matches at the World Cup though, I remember a 0-0 between Ukraine adn Switzerland in 2006 that went to penalties, and even the shootout was boring!

So, looking forward to the World Cup - but not looking forward to the masses of game stealers that come out of the woodwork until England get knocked out.

Cheese
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Cheese » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Atomosphere?

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:42 pm

Yeah I love it, enjoy the whole culture clash and everything the games bring. For example I think Argentina's group is going to be great for that-

The individualism of the Argentines with the Maradona and Messi factors, the energy and organisation of the Koreans (& our boy), physicality and raw unpredictable Nigerians, then Greece who are going to be well organised and everything Argentina are not.

Groups of Brazil and France should be good too.

Not a huge England fan - never been to a game... Rather win than lose though obviously, but Bolton means most to me.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:11 pm

It'll be OK & there'll be some excitement ... but there will also be a huge amount of hype, WAG's, tabloid overkill, diving & flopping about, over-stated reaction to foreign players you've never heard of, abuse of referee's, Platini & Blatter irritating the hell off us, a series of 0-0's with penalties deciding semi-finals & possibly the final itself, bookings & sendings off for simply looking at an opponent and, finally, the inevitable England let-down at some stage.

Oh ... & too much of that feckin' Colin Murray on our screens.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:25 pm

We're back here to the subject of emotional involvement. As soon as we're out - that's me done with it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:We're back here to the subject of emotional involvement. As soon as we're out - that's me done with it.
That's pretty much me. I'd still watch it, but only as a background to a pub trip or with mates.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:We're back here to the subject of emotional involvement. As soon as we're out - that's me done with it.
That's pretty much me. I'd still watch it, but only as a background to a pub trip or with mates.
Me three.

But I guess people could have differing views dependent on which Country they're actually in.

Relentless09
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Relentless09 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:17 pm

i really dont know what it's like to have your country in the World Cup i wasn't born but if Northern Ireland got in i know i'd be very excited and probley go to the games

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Me three.

But I guess people could have differing views dependent on which Country they're actually in.

While I'm normally with Bruce on the emotional involvement bit, and don't watch much British football unless Aberdeen or Bolton are playing, the two International summer finals are the exceptions to that rule, and I will watch tons of games no doubt, golf permitting.

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Yes, massively. Mainly for England, but I do like the rest.

I don't think it matters that a number of the players are complete nice people, you support the entity rather than the individuals. It's like the army, chances are a fair few are knobheads, but support them nevertheless.

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 pm

Yes, the World Cup is ace. Really looking forward to it.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Massively, massively yes. The fact that the coverage is so knuckle chewingly skewed to England and the Premier League during every game is starting to grate, but it's impossible for me not to be engrossed in the whole tournament from start to finish. The fact it's the only football on helps, but it's also the fact it doesn't involve the big brands that club football forces down our throats. Sure, the players are the same, but the teams aren't. That's the clincher.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

spikeykev
Promising
Promising

Post by spikeykev » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:27 pm

Couldn't care less about the group stage, I'm in France for Hellfest when we play Angola, but it's an excuse to go to the pub, and I can usually win a bit of money off my deluded England friends thinkin' we will beat any half decent teams!

Horza
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Horza » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:53 am

Mad about it, even though the whole country is going to spaz out when we don't make R16 like last time. You lot aren't the only ones dealing with irrational expectations.
"Any useless person; any liar; any drunkard; anyone under the influence; anyone high on drugs; can talk on the Internet, and you read what he writes and you believe it."
- Muammar Gaddafi, 16/1/2011

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 am

Don't give 2 hoots about it. Summer is for cricket and rugby league.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:27 am

Can't wait.... I don't care much for National pride normally, but that goes out of the window during the summer tournaments. The only thing that pisses me off, is the non-football watchers, who watch Match of the Day once a month, yet take all the good seats up in the pub and slag off anybody who doesn't play for United
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"