Rags shirts banned in Malaysia.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Rags shirts banned in Malaysia.

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:48 pm

SSN wrote:Manchester United shirts have been banned in Malaysia after the red devil crest was labelled "dangerous and un-Islamic". Thousands of fans have reacted angrily to the decision by Muslim clerics - with some accusing them of supporting Premier League arch-rivals Liverpool. Despite the Old Trafford side having an estimated 81 million followers in Asia, one senior cleric said: "You are only promoting the devil."

"This is very dangerous. As a Muslim we should not worship the symbols of other religions or the devils," another added.

"It will erode our belief in Islam. There is no reason why we as Muslims should wear such jerseys, either for sports or fashion reasons."

But fans are now fighting back, posting messages on Twitter and Facebook to show their disapproval.

"Maybe the religious leaders are just fans of Liverpool?" quipped one supporter on Twitter.

"Why has this become an issue after Manchester United has won the title for 11 times? They haven't been watching the matches all this while?" said fan Sharifah Shahidah.

"What am I gonna do with all my Man Utd jerseys? And my sons' jerseys?" said another.

"Should I cover the emblem with a picture of flower?"

Manchester United Fan Club Malaysia, which has about 7,000 members, refused to comment.

Also off-limits are the shirts of teams including Brazil, Portugal, Barcelona and Serbia, all of which carry an image of the Christian crucifix in their team emblems.

Malaysia is a generally moderate Islamic country, but conservative clerics have issued controversial edicts in the past, including a ban on the ancient practice of yoga, which is criticised for including Hindu elements.
Can't fault the general principal.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Rags shirts banned in Malaysia.

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
SSN wrote:Manchester United shirts have been banned in Malaysia after the red devil crest was labelled "dangerous and un-Islamic". Thousands of fans have reacted angrily to the decision by Muslim clerics - with some accusing them of supporting Premier League arch-rivals Liverpool. Despite the Old Trafford side having an estimated 81 million followers in Asia, one senior cleric said: "You are only promoting the devil."

"This is very dangerous. As a Muslim we should not worship the symbols of other religions or the devils," another added.

"It will erode our belief in Islam. There is no reason why we as Muslims should wear such jerseys, either for sports or fashion reasons."

But fans are now fighting back, posting messages on Twitter and Facebook to show their disapproval.

"Maybe the religious leaders are just fans of Liverpool?" quipped one supporter on Twitter.

"Why has this become an issue after Manchester United has won the title for 11 times? They haven't been watching the matches all this while?" said fan Sharifah Shahidah.

"What am I gonna do with all my Man Utd jerseys? And my sons' jerseys?" said another.

Manchester United Fan Club Malaysia, which has about 7,000 members, refused to comment.

Also off-limits are the shirts of teams including Brazil, Portugal, Barcelona and Serbia, all of which carry an image of the Christian crucifix in their team emblems.

Malaysia is a generally moderate Islamic country, but conservative clerics have issued controversial edicts in the past, including a ban on the ancient practice of yoga, which is criticised for including Hindu elements.
It's like the Burkha ban in France though, the reasons behind it are wrong, even though it is a good idea :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:09 pm

I think I may convert to Islam.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

jenkz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jenkz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Hilarious!
Nat Lofthouse:

“in my day, there were plenty of fellas who would kick your b****cks off. The difference was that at the end of the match they would shake your hand and help you look for them!”

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:31 pm

pfft. they have been banned in my house for 30yrs!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:08 am

I suppose that all the disenfranchised citizens could change their allegiance to Tottenham Hotspurs.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:

Shove 'em up your arse!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:43 am

My father, in nearly all circumstances a kind and friendly man, has always wanted Manchester United toilet paper, preferably with a picture of Fergie on each sheet...

Some entrepreneur should take this up, there's a market out there...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:45 am

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Shove 'em up your arse!
I will not shove my principals up my arse!!!! MODS!!!!! :twisted:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:50 am

William the White wrote:My father, in nearly all circumstances a kind and friendly man, has always wanted Manchester United toilet paper, preferably with a picture of Fergie on each sheet...

Some entrepreneur should take this up, there's a market out there...
It's already been done. :-)

The URL is fairly long, but a search on google for Manchester United Toilet Paper, will direct you to the appropriate site. :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:55 am

If the devil emblem had any significance the Vatican would have been on it years ago. United, not too long ago, was the Irish Catholic bastion of fooball where carrying rosary beads was a significant plus when applying for a trial there. Fortunately, a lot of muslims are thinking modern in their views. . Religious differences being blamed as the cause of all ills once again. Ban the clerics and United, problem solved. :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

seanworth
Icon
Icon

Post by seanworth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 pm

He he he I love it. Just one of the enjoyments of living in this part of the world.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Principle. Principle
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
SSN wrote:"What am I gonna do with all my Man Utd jerseys? And my sons' jerseys?" said another.

"Should I cover the emblem with a picture of flower?
Shove 'em up your arse!
Well, they could start by calling them fckg SHIRTS as a start.

Jerseys ... bllx, more like.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:47 pm

Shove your bllx up your arse?

I suppose there's a market for it.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Shove 'em up your arse!
Makes you wonder what would have happened if we other religions had told them to feck off when the commies wanted in in the fifties. They want to ban the cross, then we in all fairness to inclusion and equality should ban the crescent. As we, St George, have a cross as our emblem, does this mean that Malaysia can never apply for the olympics and/or world cup to be played in said country. 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Gravedigger wrote: Makes you wonder what would have happened if we other religions had told them to feck off when the commies wanted in in the fifties. They want to ban the cross, then we in all fairness to inclusion and equality should ban the crescent. As we, St George, have a cross as our emblem, does this mean that Malaysia can never apply for the olympics and/or world cup to be played in said country. 8)
If the World Cup were ever hosted by Iran it would be the start of World War III. :wink:

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 pm

I'd no idea that Islam was such a modern, enlightened religion.

Just a pity that Ronaldo has left before they could declare jihad.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:08 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I'd no idea that Islam was such a modern, enlightened religion.

You can't have an enlightened religion. People are enlightened, or not. Islam is no worse, nor better than any other religion when it comes to being 'backward' it's just it's an easy target.

I'm with you on the whole holy war against C.Ron though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:I'd no idea that Islam was such a modern, enlightened religion.

You can't have an enlightened religion. People are enlightened, or not. Islam is no worse, nor better than any other religion when it comes to being 'backward' it's just it's an easy target. quote]
:shock: No, no. I won't go there. It's a football thread.