Are the Dingles about to be sold??

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:20 pm

ROVERS F.C. wrote:Exciting times indeed once more for the famous boys in blue 'n' white!.Syed is NOT looking at a Man citeh throw silly money at it tenure.....15 year masterplan!

Dont know about a 45,000 seater stadium :shock: :? :shock: but this is the eventual plan of how the Cathedral of Ewood should really look....35,000 seater capacity:

What, a big feck off mirror down the middle? Won't that get in the way of Robinsons goal kicks?

There is potential with the asian market - and were such a section of society be interested from Blackburn, it may tempt those from nearby as well...

Its another watch this space I guess....

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:40 am

Clubs have been banging on about 'tapping into the asian market' for years, Bradford and Blackburn in paticular.

At the Reebok I saw plenty of them with Bolton tops on against Fulham, they are coming watching football, but marketing bods can't seem to grasp that they're not quite as interested as their European neighbours.......unless it's Man Utd or Liverpool, obviously :wink:

I hope Jackburn do expand their stadium, they can give Wigan some competition in the 'spot the fan' contest then.
Troll and proud of it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:47 am

as wrote:Clubs have been banging on about 'tapping into the asian market' for years, Bradford and Blackburn in paticular.

At the Reebok I saw plenty of them with Bolton tops on against Fulham, they are coming watching football, but marketing bods can't seem to grasp that they're not quite as interested as their European neighbours.......unless it's Man Utd or Liverpool, obviously :wink:

I hope Jackburn do expand their stadium, they can give Wigan some competition in the 'spot the fan' contest then.
The difference here is though, as, that this is Asian led. It's not some cock like Geoffrey Richmond thinking 'Hmmm, see these tan fellas.....'.
May the bridges I burn light your way

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
as wrote:Clubs have been banging on about 'tapping into the asian market' for years, Bradford and Blackburn in paticular.

The difference here is though, as, that this is Asian led. It's not some cock like Geoffrey Richmond thinking 'Hmmm, see these tan fellas.....'.
I think the only way to tap into new markets in football is to incorporate the best players from that market into your team. When I first got to South Korea nobody gave a rat's ass about Bolton. It was all Manchester United this, Park Ji-sung that. After we signed Lee everyone knew about Bolton. I saw people wearing Chung-Yong kits. TV coverage increased dramatically. When I went to the Reebok in 2006 I saw lots of Japanese folks coming to watch Nakata. A similar situation could be happening now in America. Many of my friends who follow American players are asking me about Holden. You'll still find a disproportionate number of American Fulham fans, and you can see why.

This is what a smaller team needs to do to grab a slice of a specific market. Why is a discerning Asian football consumer going to watch Allardyce's turgid football when he has easy access to a superior product? And an Asian owner isn't going to do it. Who do you think converted more American fans to Aston Villa: Brad Friedel or Randy Lerner? I'm guessing it was the keeper. People want to see people like them in sports. Half of my students in Korea couldn't swim but they all cared about Park Tae-hwan.

And of course, the problem here is that, for whatever reason, there just aren't many Premiership standard Asian footballers.

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Isn't the bloke leading it an Indian fella? And aren't the majority of 'tanned fellas' in Jackburn descended from Pakistan? I spy trouble already :wink:

It might be asian led, but I seriously doubt the locals will flock to Ewood simply because they're encouraged too. I give it another few years before some chairman pipes up witht he same clap-trap, and with the same result.

Sounds like pie in the sky to me. Roverrrrrrs won't average many more than they do now, and that's with very cheap tickets, massive away followings and their knack of giving tickets away to local schools.
Troll and proud of it.

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 pm

:pissed: Fcuk 'Em...................I hope they go out of business.................

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:49 pm

When they won the league, they averaged 27000 that season and were unable to sell out on games.

When they were good (for one season) they could not tap into the market, at the moment they are average, what can change?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 pm

HP - I'm on about the market made up of Asians of Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi (and the region) descent to whom Blackburn is there local club, not the select-a-club type of far eastern supporter to which you refer. Sorry, I hadn't made that clear at all. Although, as mentioned earlier, the number of local Asians attending football is on the rise, on a pro-rata basis they are hardly represented at all and football still remains anathema to Britain's idea of its own multi-cultural society . On a simple trip to Wigan you'll still hear the local intelligentsia inform us that we reside in "a town full of Pakis", this'll give you some idea.

AS - Indeed. When this takeover was first mooted, the report that I heard said that the Indian guy leading it said that he was particularly attracted by Blackburn having a 50% Asian community. How accurate that is I couldn't say, and I don't know how that splits out between Indian and Pakistani descendants, but I'd still say that it'll still leave him with a right old chunk to try and intice. As you say - we'll see.
May the bridges I burn light your way

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:08 am

wiki says
According to the UK Government's 2001 census, Blackburn, defined as an urban area, had a population of 105,085 and a population density of 11,114/sq mi (4,291 /km2).[1] According to further statistics from the same census, this time defining Blackburn as a Westminster parliamentary constituency, the town was 69.22% White British (national average for England 89.99%) with significant Indian (14.31%) and Pakistani (11.45%) ethnic minorities.
So, about 25k sub-continentals, with over half of Indian descent

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:13 am

Is that Blackburn with Darwen though?

Only Bolton only has hundred-odd thousand people in it, BMBC has about 270k, and the wider geographical area that 'looks' to Bolton is approaching 400k.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:30 am

Dunno and its too late to check :)

Point is, there is a significant Indian population

My perception is that Boltons Asian pop, like Burys, is much more heavily Pakistani

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:33 am

CAPSLOCK wrote:wiki says
According to the UK Government's 2001 census, Blackburn, defined as an urban area, had a population of 105,085 and a population density of 11,114/sq mi (4,291 /km2).[1] According to further statistics from the same census, this time defining Blackburn as a Westminster parliamentary constituency, the town was 69.22% White British (national average for England 89.99%) with significant Indian (14.31%) and Pakistani (11.45%) ethnic minorities.
So, about 25k sub-continentals, with over half of Indian descent
And that was 9 years ago.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:35 am

I wasn't going to mention that ;)

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Post by jaffka » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:18 am

This fella wants Beckham:
...Meanwhile, Indian tycoon Ahsan Ali Syed wants to bring Beckham to Blackburn when he buys the club.

The Bahrain-based millionaire is a huge Beckham fan and will promise the former England skipper a massive pay day to end his career at Ewood Park.

He said: 'I was 26 when I started following the Premier League. I used to like Blackburn back then and also used to follow Manchester United’s fortunes because of David Beckham.

'If my finances allow and his intentions are positive then I would love to take Beckham.'
Ali Syed is currently going through Blackburn’s books and hopes to seal his £300m takeover within a month.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... kburn.html

as
Reliable
Reliable

Post by as » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:47 am

jaffka wrote:This fella wants Beckham:
...Meanwhile, Indian tycoon Ahsan Ali Syed wants to bring Beckham to Blackburn when he buys the club.

The Bahrain-based millionaire is a huge Beckham fan and will promise the former England skipper a massive pay day to end his career at Ewood Park.

He said: 'I was 26 when I started following the Premier League. I used to like Blackburn back then and also used to follow Manchester United’s fortunes because of David Beckham.

'If my finances allow and his intentions are positive then I would love to take Beckham.'
Ali Syed is currently going through Blackburn’s books and hopes to seal his £300m takeover within a month.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

They're the West Haaaaaaaam of the NW, Beckham at Jackburn, and I suppose Posh is wetting herself at the prospect of living in Darwen!

Uncle Jack ploughed money in because he loved the club (if only he'd have been born 15 miles down the road, eh?), whereas this new fella sounds like he's as loopy as those Pompey owners.

Oh, and the only way Jackburn are going to gain a lot of new 'local' fans is if they win the title, as they're hardly going to swap their Man Utd tops for Blackburn ones until that happens.
Troll and proud of it.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:11 pm

Why has he picked Blackburn? Is he from there originally? It can't be the huge potential...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:40 pm

The ultimate irony of ultimate ironies was the conversation I had with a Blackburnian Liverpool fan in the mid nineties, who was complaining about how all the locals had jumped on the bandwagon since Uncle Jack had got involved. I couldn't look him in hte eye for fear of bursting out laughing.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:55 pm

ratbert wrote:Why has he picked Blackburn? Is he from there originally? It can't be the huge potential...
Never set foot in England, but hoping to buy a house there soon. :roll:

Started supporting them when he was 26, after they won the league.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
ratbert wrote:Why has he picked Blackburn? Is he from there originally? It can't be the huge potential...

At least he stuck with them! Could have easily turned to Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, if he only had a passing interest in the sport
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:02 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Gary the Enfield wrote:

At least he stuck with them! Could have easily turned to Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal, if he only had a passing interest in the sport
I believe he supported Man Yoo first. :|