Squids In

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Squids In

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:07 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11626050
Paul the octopus, an unlikely star of the 2010 World Cup who 'predicted' the outcome of seven matches, has died at an aquarium in Germany.

Staff at the Sea Life centre in Oberhausen said they were "devastated" to learn that he had passed away during the night.

Paul made his name by successfully choosing a mussel from one of two boxes bearing the flags of competing nations.

Octopuses rarely live beyond two years so his death was not unexpected.

Paul was two-and-a-half years old.

The centre's manager, Stefan Porwoll, said that Paul had correctly guessed the winner of all Germany's World Cup matches, including their defeat, and had "enthused people across every continent".

Paul's finest hour was his choice of Spain as winner of the World Cup As the tournament progressed, the octopus's uncanny knack of selecting the correct box drew increasing interest from the world's media, culminating in his choice of Spain as the eventual winner.

He became an instant hero in Spain, prompting a request to have him put on display at Madrid zoo.

Amid the euphoria, he was even made honorary citizen of a Spanish town.

The Oberhausen centre said he had seemed fine when last checked on Monday night but was found dead on Tuesday morning.
It was always a load of old bllx, but better than the vuvazela's.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Surprised he didn't predict his own death - smart arse!

HMX
Passionate
Passionate

Post by HMX » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:22 pm

Didn't see this coming.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:30 pm

I think this has come as a real shock. No one saw it coming and to have him taken from us when he was seemingly in his predicting prime is so so cruel. My heart goes out to his family and those who are lucky enough to have known him. It's a sad day for football. It'll be interesting to see how his passing is marked at grounds around the world this weekend. For him I think a minutes applause would be most suitable to honour such a distinguished summer.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:55 pm

jimbo wrote:I think this has come as a real shock. No one saw it coming and to have him taken from us when he was seemingly in his predicting prime is so so cruel. My heart goes out to his family and those who are lucky enough to have known him. It's a sad day for football. It'll be interesting to see how his passing is marked at grounds around the world this weekend. For him I think a minutes applause would be most suitable to honour such a distinguished summer.
I think we should have eight minutes applause - one for each tentacle.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:15 pm

For some reason this thread keeps reminding me of a very old joke, the punchline of which is:

"His underpants fit him like a glove".
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:42 pm

He had an agent for crying out loud!

scotty
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by scotty » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 pm

in memory of paul the octopus, the FA have announced that this years FA cup ties will all be played over 8 legs
Who's that coming up the hill boys,
The Wanderers are coming up the hill boys,
They all laugh at us, they all mock at us,
They all say our days are numbered,

Born to be a Wanderer, victorious are we....