Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ever

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: Diving Arsenal Players - The Least Shocking Admission Ever

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:40 pm
You were beat by Brentford....
Yes I know. So 3 points we should have had, but I never expected to win against City or Chelsea.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:57 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:40 pm
You were beat by Brentford....
Yes I know. So 3 points we should have had, but I never expected to win against City or Chelsea.
That’s the point though isn’t it. You might expect a West Brom or Bournemouth fan to say that but for Arsenal to effectively be saying we can’t expect points off the top 6 is pretty much a reflection of where you are. 20 years back you’d have fans of mid table premiership clubs saying we can’t expect anything at Arsenal. It’s not down to money either really as this summer shows. Something has gone wrong probably towards the end of Wengers stay and onwards. The club doesn’t seem to be ambitious anymore.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:18 pm
Spent more than any other team in the window by some margin yet you look at this and have to ask would any Arsenal fan hand on heart not take 10th place at the end of the season if offered? The transition to average run of the mill mid table premiership side is complete. West Ham, West Brom of the 2000’s is what Arsenal are now. Can’t even say they are Big Sam Bolton level circa 2005. Not close to it.
None of which are playing today so I don’t think you can blame them. Two of the toughest games in our first 3 matches was always going to mean a low points score at this point in the season. Worrying times for sure but let’s see how things are after a few months. I can’t see any of our defence other then Tierney making the first team when White, Gabriel and Bellerin are back from injury. Why we gave Xhaka another contract though I don’t know. Seems to save his form for the national team.
Odegaard is playing. Lokonga can’t get in. So I’d say it does reflect on summer spending. You have spent a decade ignoring your issues as a club and now you’ve not got enough quality where it matters. I feel sorry for Arsenal fans really the club has been run really badly. You ought to be competing with Chelsea and City and United but honestly you are closer to going down than that. It’s a shame for the fans. I honestly think it’s scandalous how a club like Arsenal has been run down to this point.
My mistake re Odergaarde, he was here last season so keep forgetting he’s a ‘signing’. We beat Chelsea twice last season, United we won against too. Things are bad, yes, and mid table looks a viable option but again a slight exaggeration I feel, to say we are closer to relegation. Based on results after Christmas last year we would have finished in the top 3. A rocky start to the season, yes, but given our injury issues taking out most of our defence and 2/3 games against city and Chelsea I don’t understand why people are so quick to write us off as relegation candidates. Do I expect us to win the league? Of course not. Do I think top 6 and a cup run is not entirely unrealistic. Absolutely. It’s 3 games in. Let’s see what’s what at Christmas, then I might be shouting Arteta go.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:06 pm

When you know you can't win v City and Chelsea, Brentford becomes must win. You didn't, they did. Pointing that half the defence is missing, when the goals for tally is "nil" too, can't explain everything, surely?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:02 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:44 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:32 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:18 pm
Spent more than any other team in the window by some margin yet you look at this and have to ask would any Arsenal fan hand on heart not take 10th place at the end of the season if offered? The transition to average run of the mill mid table premiership side is complete. West Ham, West Brom of the 2000’s is what Arsenal are now. Can’t even say they are Big Sam Bolton level circa 2005. Not close to it.
None of which are playing today so I don’t think you can blame them. Two of the toughest games in our first 3 matches was always going to mean a low points score at this point in the season. Worrying times for sure but let’s see how things are after a few months. I can’t see any of our defence other then Tierney making the first team when White, Gabriel and Bellerin are back from injury. Why we gave Xhaka another contract though I don’t know. Seems to save his form for the national team.
Odegaard is playing. Lokonga can’t get in. So I’d say it does reflect on summer spending. You have spent a decade ignoring your issues as a club and now you’ve not got enough quality where it matters. I feel sorry for Arsenal fans really the club has been run really badly. You ought to be competing with Chelsea and City and United but honestly you are closer to going down than that. It’s a shame for the fans. I honestly think it’s scandalous how a club like Arsenal has been run down to this point.
My mistake re Odergaarde, he was here last season so keep forgetting he’s a ‘signing’. We beat Chelsea twice last season, United we won against too. Things are bad, yes, and mid table looks a viable option but again a slight exaggeration I feel, to say we are closer to relegation. Based on results after Christmas last year we would have finished in the top 3. A rocky start to the season, yes, but given our injury issues taking out most of our defence and 2/3 games against city and Chelsea I don’t understand why people are so quick to write us off as relegation candidates. Do I expect us to win the league? Of course not. Do I think top 6 and a cup run is not entirely unrealistic. Absolutely. It’s 3 games in. Let’s see what’s what at Christmas, then I might be shouting Arteta go.
I don’t think you are a relegation candidate. I just think it’s evident you are miles off the top sides.

As for Arteta not sure it’s really his fault. Neither do I think he’s necessarily the answer either.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:06 pm
When you know you can't win v City and Chelsea, Brentford becomes must win. You didn't, they did. Pointing that half the defence is missing, when the goals for tally is "nil" too, can't explain everything, surely?
Well Lacazette and Aubameyang who are our main strikers both had to sit out several matches, including that one due to Covid. I’m not just blaming injuries/illness for our woeful start, there’s so much more to it then that, but when you are missing your two main goal scorers it doesn’t help.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:43 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:17 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:06 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:06 pm
Should Arteta go?
You'll have BSA incoming. He only lives round the corner. I'll nip round to see if he's digging out his pearly king outfit ;)
Things aren’t that bad yet! :D

Anyway, 6-0 win tonight. West Brom kindly gave our first team a chance by pretty much playing their youth team but a wins a win. Can only beat what’s there and we haven't done that much this season so I will take that with a happy heart and hope that it’s opened the floodgate of Auba goals once more. Few cheerful days til we get stuffed against City on Saturday anyway.
You can have a parade with an open top bus once Wigan have finished with it 🙂
Ahhh, thanks, might celebrate only conceding 5 against City this coming Saturday whilst we are at it! :D
Have Wigan finished with their open top bus yet? Once again my football predictions uncannily accurate as you could tell Harry, by my super 6 today.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am

A player by the name of Willian has had his contract terminated, apparently.

All I know about this one is that he's 33 years old and was on a £200K a week, three year contract.

"You do it to yourself, you do
You and no one else…"
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:42 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:13 am
A player by the name of Willian has had his contract terminated, apparently.

All I know about this one is that he's 33 years old and was on a £200K a week, three year contract.

"You do it to yourself, you do
You and no one else…"
Exactly this. Arsenal have spent obscene amounts of money in the past decade yet have failed. And what I can't understand or get over is their fans make excuses for them. I get that for a while you give your club the benefit of the doubt but Arsenal have been run as badly and arguably worse than Bolton in the past decade. They only get away with it because the tolerance for failure is propped up by the premiership deal and their occasional foray into the champions league. If football was fairly organised Arsenal would have been in administration by this point.

I really don't get how any Arsenal fan isn't absolutely livid with their lot considering what it costs to watch them (and yes their matchday tickets are about average but their ST's are incredibly expensive) and the dross they've served up for more than a decade. Factoring in the decision making through successive managers and at boardroom level has been about as abysmal as you can imagine the 'well we don't have Citeh's money' excuse hasn't even run out even when they've outspent every other premiership club handsomely. For a club like Arsenal I'd say top 4 is the equivalent to Bolton staying in the league. Slip below that and its in effect a season of relegation. That's how you have to view it given the resource disparity.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am

Fair fecks to Willian too. Had another two years on £200kpw, for pelters from their fans for a year, could've sat and quietly took him his paycheque. Apparently taken a 70% wage cut to go back to Brazil and play.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:33 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 am
Fair fecks to Willian too. Had another two years on £200kpw, for pelters from their fans for a year, could've sat and quietly took him his paycheque. Apparently taken a 70% wage cut to go back to Brazil and play.
Conversely, I say 'fair feck* to Winston Bogarde'. Whoever signs off on these ridiculous contracts should be had up for such appalling failure in their fiduciary responsibilities.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
I'm not sure I've read anywhere that he's not taken at least a proportion of his pay-cheque - don't the Club have to cough for it when they terminate? From the Arsenal website, it says mutual consent - that's usually indicative of them reaching some sort of agreement...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:11 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:12 pm
Prufrock wrote:
I'm not sure I've read anywhere that he's not taken at least a proportion of his pay-cheque - don't the Club have to cough for it when they terminate? From the Arsenal website, it says mutual consent - that's usually indicative of them reaching some sort of agreement...
Yeah he's surely taken a % of his future earnings one would imagine. Think the numbers are based off 'reports'. Not sure club or player or his representatives would be disappointed and in a rush to correct them if reports of his 'cut' were exaggerated. So guess we'll never know.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:27 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:12 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Oh sure. The rumours are it's a 70% cut (so based on reports he was on 200k he'd now be on 60k). Assuming that's ball-park true I'd imagine there were 3 party talks with Corinthians paying some of that, Arsenal paying some but it sounds (albeit it's all conjecture) as if he's taken a pretty hefty pay cut up go and play (it seems safe to assume it's a pretty hefty whack to his bottom line as there's no way Corinthians are paying anywhere near £200kpw and it must be enough to justify arsenal letting him go).

Absolutely take Bruce's point he'd be entitled to sit it out, but I think it's admirable to take the pay cut to go and play (and I'm sure eg being nearer family etc played a part too).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 am

Went to watch Arsenal play last night in my first evening game since Covid hit. £10 for the ticket was worth it just to see Saka play for 10 minutes at the end. Came on and we scored 2 in quick succession. No coincidence. The boy is 🔥. Everything was quicker, brighter and played further forwards with him (and ESR) on. A real joy to watch. Let’s just hope he can continue when I go up to watch vs Spurs at the weekend…

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:32 pm

I imagine someone's happy with today's result in the relegation 6 pointer at the Emirates :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:32 pm
I imagine someone's happy with today's result in the relegation 6 pointer at the Emirates :D
I’m too happy to mind that dig! :P What a game! Atmosphere was jumping. Been a few years since I have been to a league NLD. Forgotten how mental they are Totally buzzing. Loved it! So happy for the birthday boy too! Best game he’s been to ever apparently (apart from when he was mascot!). He certainly heard more bad language then he ever has before - despite even having had breakfast with Lever End on one occasion!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:08 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I’m too happy to mind that dig! :P What a game! Atmosphere was jumping. Been a few years since I have been to a league NLD. Forgotten how mental they are Totally buzzing. Loved it! So happy for the birthday boy too! Best game he’s been to ever apparently (apart from when he was mascot!). He certainly heard more bad language then he ever has before - despite even having had breakfast with Lever End on one occasion!
😱

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:28 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:08 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
😱
:conf: :lol:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:12 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I’m sure there was more than a hint of bad language in his mother’s mind, whilst running up that hill 3 times in Clair Park! 😂