Mad Gerry

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Mad Gerry

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Still mad, it would appear:

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/carlisle-u ... ferrer=yes
Oldham assistant boss Gerry Taggart is likely to face heavy punishment for his involvement in a crazy touchline bust-up during Carlisle United’s win at Boundary Park.

The Latics number two raced from his technical area and threw punches at some of the United team during a melee of players.

Taggart’s astonishing behaviour – on the night that Spurs coach Joe Jordan was headbutted by AC Milan’s yard dog midfielder Gennaro Gattuso in a televised fiery Champions League encounter – came in the 83rd minute of Carlisle’s 1-0 victory, two minutes after sub Craig Curran had scored United’s winner.

The 40-year-old coach was sent from the touchline by ref Mark Haywood when order was restored.

And Taggart is now expected to face severe punishment from the football authorities, who are expected to study footage of the incident.

The former Northern Ireland international appeared to strike Blues midfielder Tom Taiwo during a mass scuffle, which broke out following a challenge between Carlisle defender Lubo Michalik and Latics’ substitute striker Warren Feeney.

United boss Greg Abbott did not comment on Taggart’s part in the episode but the Blues contingent were privately astonished by the actions of Paul Dickov’s right-hand man.

And News & Star Sport understands that the Oldham hierarchy intend to summon Taggart for a showdown meeting where the former defender will be asked to explain his conduct.

Blues captain Frank Simek insisted that his team-mates who were caught up in the incident were blameless. Nothing our guys did was out of order,” said the defender.

“I’m sure the authorities will look at the video tape and decide what action to take.”

Ref Haywood asked Simek and Latics skipper Chris Taylor to calm their players down once the scuffle had been broken up and Taggart dismissed. Taiwo, who left Boundary Park bearing a facial scar, declined to comment on the Oldham assistant’s behaviour.

The midfielder said: “It started off with a scuffle between Lubo Michalik and Warren Feeney, and then every man and his dog got involved. It was a bit of a royal rumble.”

Abbott watched the incident from the stand as the United boss was serving a one-match touchline ban, imposed for his protests at Gary Borrowdale’s sending-off at Southampton on Saturday.

The Blues manager said: “It was a scuffle. I’m just glad it wasn’t me that was involved. To get a reaction like that means you’re doing something right on the pitch.”

Taggart’s actions came on a night when AC Milan captain Gennaro Gattuso was also involved in an off-field storm in their Champions League defeat to Tottenham.

Gattuso butted Joe Jordan at the final whistle and later apologised to the Spurs assistant coach.

Ironically, the half-time Strike It Lucky draw at Oldham was made by reigning Commonwealth Light-Middleweight champion Craig Watson.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Mad Gerry

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Someone I used to work with at Luton was on the same UEFA B course as him. Apparently he was crap, but because he was so scary, and his stare was so mental, he was as good as passed after the second day.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Having met the fella I can confirm he has a mental stare!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Having watched a Dave higson interview I can confirm the stare thing...