Liverpool laughing stocks?

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Re: Liverpool laughing stocks?

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:03 pm

boltonboris wrote:If you look like you've done it on purpose, it's a penalty. If you've not done it on purpose but your arms are all over the show and the balls hit it after travelling some distance (like that Brum defender against us) it's a penalty.
Unless your name is Ugo Ehiogu and it's in the last few minutes of the League Cup final, in which case neither apply.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

Don't!

Why is there no video of that btw?! Absolute travesty.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Spot the difference between

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20948372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the sixth paragraph here

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... to_decide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm

boltonboris wrote:I'm not sure there are any grey areas TBH. If you look like you've done it on purpose, it's a penalty. If you've not done it on purpose but your arms are all over the show and the balls hit it after travelling some distance (like that Brum defender against us) it's a penalty.

The Suarez incident didn't come down to portrayal of the rules. It came down to simply not seeing it. Which is baaaad.
There are grey areas though. I'm not saying thats necessarily bad in itself. But there area.

Plenty of debates over whether it was "deliberate or not" for all sorts of incidents. Some are given some aren't. There is inconsistency. Some are blasted point blank at players and given, other times more "deliberate looking" ones are not.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:28 pm

mrkint wrote:Spot the difference between

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20948372" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wa ... to_decide/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good work. I am definitely stealing this.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 pm

mrkint wrote:Spot the difference between

"Or Liverpool"

:lol:

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:Don't!

Try this.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/lu ... liverpool/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:13 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Don't!

Try this.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/lu ... liverpool/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I fear Prufrock may have been referring to a different game altogether. And no, please don't try to find it. I like my laptop, and to throw it across the room may set me back a little...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 am

There's absolutely no way he can get his arm out of the way
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Would we lose anything if handball became a strict liability offence?
it would certainly make things easier! and it would stop wanky commentators declaring that "the rules say hand-to-ball not ball-to-hand" - which they manifestly do not!
I think we would. It would be a full back's nightmare for instance. How do you go and close down a cross if any contact is going to mean a free-kick or even a penalty. Wouldn't affect ours too much though.
Hockey has it for an equivalent offence, and defenders just deal with it (or give away a penalty corner). I'm all for it being a strict liability offence - would ultimately lead to more penalties/goals.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Idk. I think it works in hockey because although a penalty corner is obviously a good goal-scoring chance it is a lot less so than a penalty in football. If it became strict liability I'd imagine it we would see coaches encouraging people to just run up to defenders and blast the ball into their hand.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

blurred wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
thebish wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Would we lose anything if handball became a strict liability offence?
it would certainly make things easier! and it would stop wanky commentators declaring that "the rules say hand-to-ball not ball-to-hand" - which they manifestly do not!
I think we would. It would be a full back's nightmare for instance. How do you go and close down a cross if any contact is going to mean a free-kick or even a penalty. Wouldn't affect ours too much though.
Hockey has it for an equivalent offence, and defenders just deal with it (or give away a penalty corner). I'm all for it being a strict liability offence - would ultimately lead to more penalties/goals.
Let's get rid of goalkeepers then. F*ck me.

mrkint
Passionate
Passionate

Post by mrkint » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:28 pm

And added time multiball

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm

mrkint wrote:Idk. I think it works in hockey because although a penalty corner is obviously a good goal-scoring chance it is a lot less so than a penalty in football. If it became strict liability I'd imagine it we would see coaches encouraging people to just run up to defenders and blast the ball into their hand.
Why try and hit that really small, difficult target instead of trying to score a goal in the usual fashion?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 pm

You wouldn't always, or by any means most of the time; however, every time you were at the by-line without much space you'd look for it. In the same way players now will just try to hit it hard and low across goal hoping for a touch in, but expecting it to be blocked and win a corner, you'd have wingers looking to chip it to the back post hoping for a header but knowing there is a good chance it will brush an arm, because, it isn't actually that small a target, both hands and arms.

This is only a reckon, given how many 'appeals' you see a season per team where the ball strikes a hand unintentionally either from close range, or a shot deflects up, or it hits a defender's side and then their arm, I reckon each team would see at least an extra ten penalties in their games per season. That's massive.

The other alternative would be to interpret 'deliberate' properly, because most deliberate handballs are nothing of the sort. The problem with that is defenders spreading themselves like goalkeepers. I actually think the current state on handball is as good as it gets. I honestly think strict liability would change the game massively, and in a really shit way. Any other way of doing it involves a measure of subjectivity, but so do so many aspects of refereeing. The main guide-line for whether a one off tackle should merit, firstly a yellow card, is, is it 'dangerous'? And secondly, for a red, is it 'reckless'? Ought we to have strict liability there: gone off injured is a yellow, broken bone a red?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 pm

If you're at the byline and you try to hit somebody's hand rather than get a cross in or something, then you deserve to lose the ball the 9/10 times that will happen. It will never be the % play.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

But I do take the point about how much subjectivity there is in refereeing other laws of the game.

I have always been impressed at the ambition of football's demanding the evaluation of mens rea in a split second, at any rate.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

When at the byline in those situations, at the moment most players go for the hard and low option, knowing 9/10 you'll get a corner. You aren't aiming for the corner, you hope it flashes across goal and gets knocked in, but you know if you don't get the goal, you'll likely get the corner. Make it strict liability and you'd instead stand it up to the far post hoping for the header, which gives the defender more chance of clearing it, but also with a not terrible chance of brushing an arm on its way up. You'd still be hoping for the header, but the odds of getting a penalty would be much higher.

Do you disagree that the number of times the ball hits an arm or a hand in the box is large enough to lead to a large number of penalties if handball were made strict liability? I think it would be ridiculous. I don't have numbers to back it up, but my feeling is it happens at least once every other game.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:47 pm

The current numbers, even if we had them, would be of limited use because the current rules apply.

My utopia has defenders actively keeping their hands out of the way.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

How? Running around with them both held together behind their back? No-one runs like that. I keep going back to full-backs defending crosses, because, if you watch them now, they close down with their arms as close as possible to tight by their sides. You need your arms to accelerate. We did a bit of sprint training as a sort of crossover to see how it could help footballers, and they do whole sessions on arm work. You can't have defenders with their arms behind their backs like roosting birds, they'd have less balance, and couldn't accelerate or change direction properly.

I would say Boris pretty much nailed the current 'definition' of handball earlier when he said something along the lines of 'on purpose, or with your arms flailing about all over the place'. That's right for me. It's subjective, but applied fairly well overall I think.