Joey O Brien

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Joey O Brien

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:11 pm

On trial at West Ham.

http://www.london24.com/sport/west-ham/ ... e_1_960867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is an outstanding player,” the West Ham boss told the 
Recorder from Switzerland this week.

“For someone to play 28 times in the Premier League at the age of 19 shows that he has a lot of talent and if he is fit then he could be a very good player for us.”

Fitness is the key for O’Brien, who has three international caps for the Republic of Ireland. His recent career has been plagued by injury and he ended last season on loan at League One outfit Sheffield Wednesday.

Allardyce is well aware of the risks. “He has to prove his fitness,” he said. “He has had a very frustrating time with injuries over the last two and a half years because he was misdiagnosed and then didn’t receive the right treatment.

“But it was good to see him come through 45 minutes on Monday without any reaction and now we will just have to see how it goes with him. We have him until the end of pre-season before we have to make a decision.”
I've always believed that JOB would have been a top player but for injury and I this confirms what I said the other week that Allardyce and the coaching staff here rated him really highly when he broke onto the scene for us. He's still the best youngster I've seen in our reserves since!!

Its a shame when careers are ruined by injuries especially by a misdiagnosis, which I didn't know before this.

Hope Joey does well because it does seem like he's been very unlucky.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Joey O Brien

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:14 pm

The only thing it confirms is that Allardyce has run out of ideas when it comes to signing new players.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:The only thing it confirms is that Allardyce has run out of ideas when it comes to signing new players.
That happened well before he left us!

But it confirms his opinion of JOB and how highly he rated him. If he can stay injury free and gets properly fit he could do well for West Ham.

See he is trying to sign Gudjohnsen too!

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 am

It's like All Our Yesterdays...

And biblical...

Bring in hither the poor and the maimed, the halt and the blind... (Luke 14 v21)...

Though i hope Joey o Brien can have a career after the devastating two years he's had...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:On trial at West Ham.

http://www.london24.com/sport/west-ham/ ... e_1_960867" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He is an outstanding player,” the West Ham boss told the 
Recorder from Switzerland this week.

“For someone to play 28 times in the Premier League at the age of 19 shows that he has a lot of talent and if he is fit then he could be a very good player for us.”

Fitness is the key for O’Brien, who has three international caps for the Republic of Ireland. His recent career has been plagued by injury and he ended last season on loan at League One outfit Sheffield Wednesday.

Allardyce is well aware of the risks. “He has to prove his fitness,” he said. “He has had a very frustrating time with injuries over the last two and a half years because he was misdiagnosed and then didn’t receive the right treatment.

“But it was good to see him come through 45 minutes on Monday without any reaction and now we will just have to see how it goes with him. We have him until the end of pre-season before we have to make a decision.”
I've always believed that JOB would have been a top player but for injury and I this confirms what I said the other week that Allardyce and the coaching staff here rated him really highly when he broke onto the scene for us. He's still the best youngster I've seen in our reserves since!!

Its a shame when careers are ruined by injuries especially by a misdiagnosis, which I didn't know before this.

Hope Joey does well because it does seem like he's been very unlucky.
Sounds to me that Fat Boy is wheeling out the never-mentioned-before misdiagnosis excuse as a sweetener to keep the West Ham fans from getting the old pitchforks out when they realise he's about to sign a permacrok.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:57 pm

Correct.

O'Brien may have been shit hot in the reserves, but he was shit-shit in the firsts

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:02 pm

Lofthouse Lower wrote:Correct.

O'Brien may have been shit hot in the reserves, but he was shit-shit in the firsts
He wasn't.

But that aside, I'm sure you'll agree that even out of position he was a better right back than Steinsson!

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He wasn't.

But that aside, I'm sure you'll agree that even out of position he was a better right back than Steinsson!
I thought he was promising TBH, never made it quite though, cannot wish him well with the spammers

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He wasn't.

:oyea:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

He wasn't.
The trouble is ... he was.

I watched his first few games through my fingers. One performance in particular, against Pompey iirc he truly was as poor as anything I'd see.

He did improve, through poor, to distinctly average.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 pm

That man knows

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
I watched his first few games through my fingers.
were they giant comedy foam clown fingers?

Lofthouse Lower
Legend
Legend

Post by Lofthouse Lower » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:57 pm

:|

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:50 pm

thebish wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I watched his first few games through my fingers.
were they giant comedy foam clown fingers?
Not especially ...

Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Its a game of opinions. And I always thought even out of position JOB looked really promising when he came into the team.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Its a game of opinions. And I always thought even out of position JOB looked really promising when he came into the team.
I remember watching him in a game at right-back... he played two or three shockingly bad sideways passes right across the front of the centre backs - each one of them intercepted and leading to threatening positions... they colour my judgement, I think...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:Its a game of opinions. And I always thought even out of position JOB looked really promising when he came into the team.
The totally relevant point in any J.O.B discussions. The number of games he's actually played in, I'm surprised many can actually remember whether he's good bad or indifferent. The Reebok ghost's been sighted on more occasions. Good luck to him whatever.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I remember him playing on the wing at Craven Cottage. Does that count?
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I remember him playing on the wing at Craven Cottage. Does that count?
Ouch

He was alright as a holding midfielder IMO
As long as we didn't have four other holding midfielders and three fullbacks in the side as well :|

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
The totally relevant point in any J.O.B discussions. The number of games he's actually played in, I'm surprised many can actually remember whether he's good bad or indifferent. The Reebok ghost's been sighted on more occasions. Good luck to him whatever.
he played in about 50 games.