England, England, Ra-Ra-Ra...

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Re: England, England, Ra-Ra-Ra...

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:54 pm

We're going to win the World Series now.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Hmmm, the result tonight is on a par with fingering a girl......yeah, its good but ultimately doesn't really mean anything. (Yes, the Sagres from Nandos has kicked in)

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:45 pm

jimbo_bwfc wrote:Cahill dropped for a Jageilka and Lescott partnership. Oh dear.
they were pretty immense tonight - lescott was everywhere - certainly haven't done themselves any harm in the selection stakes...

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:45 pm

2.8% of the possession - 100% of the goals.... can't complain!

(oh - and fibreglass is still a cock!)

Jakerbeef
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jakerbeef » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Knew I'd be eating my words. The team that can really say it's beaten Spain though has to know how to get the ball off them.

(And er, the team that beats them 1-0 as well obviously.)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Win or no, anybody who thinks we were the best team weren't watching closely. Defended really well but most of the second period took place in our half. They play football on the floor and we still go the ariel route, mainly straight back to the opposition... It was an improvement to some degree, but ways to go...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:43 am

Jakerbeef wrote:Knew I'd be eating my words. The team that can really say it's beaten Spain though has to know how to get the ball off them.

It's the only way any team in the world can compete with Spain.. We did it and we won. Other than the Fabregas chance at the end, they created next to nothing.

Tactically we were near perfect and the team stuck to their gameplan immensely well. So for that reason the win was well deserved.

And I also see that all the Spanish players are throwing their toys out of the pram Wenger style.. So that's even better! Petulant wankers
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 am

boltonboris wrote:
Jakerbeef wrote:Knew I'd be eating my words. The team that can really say it's beaten Spain though has to know how to get the ball off them.

It's the only way any team in the world can compete with Spain.. We did it and we won. Other than the Fabregas chance at the end, they created next to nothing.

Tactically we were near perfect and the team stuck to their gameplan immensely well. So for that reason the win was well deserved.

And I also see that all the Spanish players are throwing their toys out of the pram Wenger style.. So that's even better! Petulant wankers
Did you not realise it was a friendly and Spain didn't give a flying toss? We humped the ball up the middle for 90 mins. Wahay. They hit the post too remember.
What a hero, What a man...... Ooooh, what a bad foul...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 am

So did we.. Luckily, their defence wasn't as good as ours and we had the ability to capitalise.

We only lumped it forward in the last 20 minutes. Before that, when we had the ball, we played some nice stuff and isoltaed their fullbacks well.

Besides, football isn;t about who plays the prettiest stuff and who has most of the ball without creating a meaningful chance. I honestly don't remember Hart making a save. Says it all..

We deserved the win. And to say Spain didn't give a toss? The play acting, card waving and subsequent bitching in the media from their entire full strength side, suggests they more than gave a toss about gettign beaten from most of our second string.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:05 am

[quote="boltonboris

Besides, football isn;t about who plays the prettiest stuff and who has most of the ball without creating a meaningful chance. I honestly don't remember Hart making a save. Says it all..

.[/quote]

Personally, I'd say the fact they're World and European Champions and we struggle to get through the quarter finals of most tournaments says a hell of a lot more than that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:17 am

It's a tough one. On the one hand, for all the ball they had, they only really created two chances, and a ludicrous Villa volley. Joe Hart didn't make a real save. We were organized, and took our one chance. I'm not convinced the centre halves were particularly awesome, Lescott in particular did a few last ditch chuck himself in the way of things that look good, but he also gave it away a lot, in bad positions. The midfield were excellent though. Parker stood out, but Lampard was very good, and Milner too. Don't think Phil Jones knew quite what he was doing there though.

On t'other hand, I actually think, despite being a mard-arse, Fabregas is right. The way they play meant they were always going to have all the ball, but first half they were 'poor', and second the number of changes meant the game became broken up. They'll still dick us in a proper game, but many, myself included, didn't even think we had that performance in us.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Andy Waller wrote:[quote="boltonboris

Personally, I'd say the fact they're World and European Champions and we struggle to get through the quarter finals of most tournaments says a hell of a lot more than that.[/quote]

I'm talking about 'on the day' though

The Axman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by The Axman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 pm

OK. So we won. But honestly, how crap were we (rhetorical question).
I can't see England progressing through the finals of any major championships playing a 9 0 1 formation, ocassionally hoofing the ball up the field and having a mad charge after it [just like we used to as kids in our street].
We only scored from a set piece, and it was about the only set-piece we had (that I can remember), and we probably wouldn't have scored that if Cassillas was still in goal. Plus, although nobody can remember Hart having made a save (inc. me) Spain still wasted at least six bloody good cast-iron chances of scoring.
We were pish. At least we won. But that bloody band were there again [4 minutes and 42 seconds before H.A.P.P.feckingY.].

What's the odds we get beat by Sweden?

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:15 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Personally, I'd say the fact they're World and European Champions and we struggle to get through the quarter finals of most tournaments says a hell of a lot more than that.
I'm talking about 'on the day' though[/quote]

Sorry, I'm just not getting your point? To win anything you can't just have one decent result. Spain have proved that they're far better than England "on the day". Hence the World/European Cups!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:26 pm

Andy Waller wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Sorry, I'm just not getting your point? To win anything you can't just have one decent result. Spain have proved that they're far better than England "on the day". Hence the World/European Cups![/quote]

Yes Spain are better .. and what though??????????

If that was the world cup final they would have played the same because they don't know any other way .. a few times it has caught them out in matches because they refuse to play anything other than tippy tappy football .. Come the next final they are in if they come up against a well organised team and they cant break them down they still won't change how they play .. they would rather lose and slag the other team off after the game.. bunch of cocks the lot of them.

Barca are the same and the only reason they get away with it against well organised sides is because they have the magic man Messi who can walk through a defence all by himself.

Football doesn't care who had the most passes or the most possession etc.. Its all about goals.. England won and I for one am delighted.. Amazes me how people will slag them off even though they won ..

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:33 pm

[quote="Andy Waller] Sorry, I'm just not getting your point? To win anything you can't just have one decent result. Spain have proved that they're far better than England "on the day". Hence the World/European Cups![/quote]

My point is... England beat Spain.. England deserved to beat Spain.. What other point could there possibly be? What point are you trying to make? :conf:

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:35 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Andy Waller wrote:
boltonboris wrote:

Sorry, I'm just not getting your point? To win anything you can't just have one decent result. Spain have proved that they're far better than England "on the day". Hence the World/European Cups!

Yes Spain are better .. and what though??????????

If that was the world cup final they would have played the same because they don't know any other way .. a few times it has caught them out in matches because they refuse to play anything other than tippy tappy football .. Come the next final they are in if they come up against a well organised team and they cant break them down they still won't change how they play .. they would rather lose and slag the other team off after the game.. bunch of cocks the lot of them.

Barca are the same and the only reason they get away with it against well organised sides is because they have the magic man Messi who can walk through a defence all by himself.[/quote]

Yeah, they should stop playing that type of football, it's not helping them at all...

A few times it's caught them. But not in the major championships, which they won!

I can understand England can't play that type of football but it was, on Saturday, mostly aimless hump to Bent. Welbeck at least ran the channels and eased a bit of pressure.

I'd sooner see a team (like the Germans) playing the best players for their country, not just "big names" and some degree of orginisation.

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:36 pm

boltonboris wrote:[quote="Andy Waller] Sorry, I'm just not getting your point? To win anything you can't just have one decent result. Spain have proved that they're far better than England "on the day". Hence the World/European Cups!
My point is... England beat Spain.. England deserved to beat Spain.. What other point could there possibly be? What point are you trying to make? :conf:[/quote][/quote]

In a friendly though! It's not a proper match!!!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm

:doh:

Point me to a quote where I was referring to a competitive match or any championships.

I merely replied to a post that was slating our national team for winning a football match, by saying we derserved to beat Spain.

this is feck*' hard work

Andy Waller
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Andy Waller » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:

You say here we "compete" with Spain. I'm saying it's a friendly so how can that be a decent judgement!

Were you there at the tactical briefing? Is not how can you say we stuck to the tactics and therefore the win was well deserved??!