Hodgson....

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Hodgson....

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 29, 2012 7:36 pm

That market has dried up now, don't you read anything?!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:About 8squillion-1.

We'll get out of the group, might even beat a very tippy-tappy but gutless French side, who have been ace for a while, roughly since the last time they were under any pressure. Thing is though, the state of European football atm reads like: Spain + Germany>Holland>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>everyone else.
Of course and the european club scene reads Real Madrid +Barca>>>>>>>Bayern>>>Man city>>>>> doubyt I'll ever get to chelsea without breaking the > button

The point is once past the groups a well organised pragmatic team is on a pretty level playing field with the superteams.I dont think Greece or Denmark or numerous other winner s were best at show in previous tournaments yet they still ran off with the trophey.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 29, 2012 10:15 pm

I think it is more difficult at international level though. To defend like Chelsea did you have to be organised, every player has to know their job and the manager has to get that idea across. I'm not convinced we can do that. There are rumours Lescott will get the nod over Cahill, even if Cahill weren't about a million times better, that would still be idiocy. My back five would be Hart=Richards-Cahill-Terry-Cole. Two clubs.

I also think football runs in cycles, 2004 was at a period when the more negative 4-5-1 was beating teams trying to play expansive 4-4-2s. That isn't the case any more and the more attack minded 4-2-3-1 seems to have overcome the 4-5-1.

Plus, Chelsea were very lucky along the way.

England need a combination of really good organisation and a lot of luck. It could happen, but it is very, very unlikely. Your introduction of the Andy Carroll as top scorer factor makes 8squillion-1 look generous.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 am

Prufrock wrote:I think it is more difficult at international level though. To defend like Chelsea did you have to be organised, every player has to know their job and the manager has to get that idea across. I'm not convinced we can do that. There are rumours Lescott will get the nod over Cahill, even if Cahill weren't about a million times better, that would still be idiocy. My back five would be Hart=Richards-Cahill-Terry-Cole. Two clubs.

I also think football runs in cycles, 2004 was at a period when the more negative 4-5-1 was beating teams trying to play expansive 4-4-2s. That isn't the case any more and the more attack minded 4-2-3-1 seems to have overcome the 4-5-1.

England need a combination of really good organisation and a lot of luck. It could happen, but it is very, very unlikely. Your introduction of the Andy Carroll as top scorer factor makes 8squillion-1 look generous.
Isn't everyone pretty much certain that Cahill and Terry are lining up along the back?

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Wed May 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Prufrock wrote:I think it is more difficult at international level though. To defend like Chelsea did you have to be organised, every player has to know their job and the manager has to get that idea across. I'm not convinced we can do that. There are rumours Lescott will get the nod over Cahill, even if Cahill weren't about a million times better, that would still be idiocy. My back five would be Hart=Richards-Cahill-Terry-Cole. Two clubs.

Wasnt being entirely serious but stranger things have happened.There's plenty of unexpected winners and top scorers. What is it? 3 group games and 3 knockouts? Top scorer could be anyone who bags a hatrick in the group stage.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed May 30, 2012 11:50 pm

Football like life invents, imitates, asimilates, learns and moves on. Its also cyclical. Spain/Barcelona swept all before them for a while. Teams are starting to cotton on. I think a highly defensive team might just break their recent monopoly and hegemony of honours and tournaments.

Or, if you prefer, every dog has his day. Though not necessarily Lions.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Football like life invents, imitates, asimilates, learns and moves on. Its also cyclical. Spain/Barcelona swept all before them for a while. Teams are starting to cotton on. I think a highly defensive team might just break their recent monopoly and hegemony of honours and tournaments.

Or, if you prefer, every dog has his day. Though not necessarily Lions.
Feck me!!!! The wine was for the sauce!!!! :mrgreen:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Blimey, the friendly with Belgium isn't very friendly.

bristolwanderer
Promising
Promising

Post by bristolwanderer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:52 pm

it is a little tasty!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:11 pm

The Specsaver salesmen are lined up six deep for the ref to come off. Yellow card for Parker when his knees are bent and both his feet are behind him? Not overly impressed with us so far.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:33 pm

We look solid and organised. Its better than nowt.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:10 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:We look solid and organised. Its better than nowt.
Thought the same meself. Certainly more so than the shower that pitched up in South Africa. I'd worry about the right back spot if I could summon up the energy.

Ianmooreslovechild
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Ianmooreslovechild » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 pm

It's all going swimmingly. Low expectations,dour and organised, no Lampard meaning Stevie G can partner Parker ie no problem of who does what. No real stars or prima donnas except Rooney perhaps.Just hope Cahill hasnt been put out of the tournament by that silly fecker who shoved him.
Should have been sent off for doing that in a pre tournament friendly. Having stayed on someone should have broken his legs.

If Cahill isnt fit England will be reduced to long aimless balls from Hart terry and Lescott loosely aimed in the direction of Carroll.Removes the option to mix things up with a bit of occasional footballer and Cahill has become very good at getting forward and linking with the attack. Realshame if he's out.
Wont be putting my Carroll/England double bet on just yet ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:31 pm

No Gaz :(

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:49 pm

1-0, 0-0, 0-1 from now one.

Very. very occasionally we may let 2 in.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:17 pm

Best start practicing penalties. Later stages if we stay solid we're not going to win by the amount of attacking we do so i'd imagine at least one game would end up going to pens.