Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2016 9:01 am

thebish wrote:ok - have had enough of it now - yay - well done leicester - now let's move on! :?
Yeah but you hate football.... :wink:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 03, 2016 9:10 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
thebish wrote:ok - have had enough of it now - yay - well done leicester - now let's move on! :?
Yeah but you hate football.... :wink:
haven't you got summat to be worrying about? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 03, 2016 9:37 am

Says a leading contributor to the myriad in/out referendum threads. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2016 9:43 am

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... redictions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pre-season predictions, just for the lols....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue May 03, 2016 10:08 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... redictions

Superb :lol:

I don't suppose you (or anyone) could find the bookies odds pre-season for the Championship? I just remember that they had Rotherham down as bottom and us 2nd bottom.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 03, 2016 10:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Superb :lol:

I don't suppose you (or anyone) could find the bookies odds pre-season for the Championship? I just remember that they had Rotherham down as bottom and us 2nd bottom.
Gotta love that first set
Most excited about: I Believe in Miracles, the Jonny Owen documentary-film about Nottingham Forest, 1975-80, and the kind of implausible success story that could never happen again

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue May 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Hopefully, with their £150,000,000 prize money they'll go some way towards compensating all the small businesses (caterers etc.) that were forced to close when they went into administration. Twice.

How's that for a golden shower on their Pommes Frites? :twisted:

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 03, 2016 4:01 pm

I haven't really followed the Premier League in years, for obvious reasons. I've devoted more of my attention to the Sounders and MLS in general. It's been pretty incredible to see how much coverage Leicester's title chase has received here, such as this long New York Times article. I feel like it's safe to say LCFC got more coverage than the MLS champions do.

It's interesting because MLS has spent so much time creating rules that lead to parity amongst the teams, but the biggest club soccer story in years is about the 5000-to-1 underdogs, a situation that by design cannot happen in MLS. Perhaps the downside of a league where "everyone can win the title" is that there's no story when ANYONE wins the title, especially when it comes via the crapshoot that is the playoffs.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 pm

It just goes to show how much of a nonsense the Premiership is when there is such massive shock that one of it's members outside of 3 or 4 clubs actually wins it. I mean, how fcuked up must a sport be when most of the participants can't possibly win it? I'd hate for us to go down the US route, but I find the current situation quite depressing and the reason I've no interest in the Premiership.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:It just goes to show how much of a nonsense the Premiership is when there is such massive shock that one of it's members outside of 3 or 4 clubs actually wins it. I mean, how fcuked up must a sport be when most of the participants can't possibly win it? I'd hate for us to go down the US route, but I find the current situation quite depressing and the reason I've no interest in the Premiership.
Of course Peter Scudamore is delighted.

Here's one of his quotes

"If the bookmakers had it as a 5,000-1 event, you would imagine you should achieve these type of things once every 5,000 years. It gives us 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of being able to say 'Leicester 2016" Just remember Leicester 2016'."

So happily lined up for anyone who dares to say "It's all about money Peter" for the next 50 years....

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 03, 2016 4:52 pm

Yes miserable feck.

Anyway. Cheer up. The Olympics soon
I know you love that.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:It just goes to show how much of a nonsense the Premiership is when there is such massive shock that one of it's members outside of 3 or 4 clubs actually wins it. I mean, how fcuked up must a sport be when most of the participants can't possibly win it? I'd hate for us to go down the US route, but I find the current situation quite depressing and the reason I've no interest in the Premiership.
It might be a "grass is always greener" situation. The playoff situation in MLS is the pits. It renders a large number of regular season games irrelevant. You don't have to be the best, you just have to be in the top 6 in your 10-team division. Once you're in the play-offs, anything can happen. I think you see top players being rested more regularly than you would in a traditional league, since you've got a much larger margin of error in the regular season.

(Of course, the Sounders are the best supported and most profitable team in the league, so all the MLS regulations are basically holding us back to the benefit of small-market teams like Columbus or Salt Lake. If you asked a Colorado Rapids fan, he might feel differently from me.)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:What a ding donger. Nine...that's NINE yellow cards for Spurs alone.. :shock: Most fouls since we played the Lancastrian at Little Hulton back in the dark ages. Even a designer handbag battle in the tunnel after the game. Six minutes extra and a good result for Leicester. Well done them. Clatterthebuggers reffing so no surprise it got out of hand.
Thought Clattenburg had a.v.good game to be fair. And has been, along with Michael Oliver, far and away our best referee for months.

Only things they got wrong were not sending off Dembele, and not sending off Dier right at the end when the game was basically over.

Looked a horrible game to referee. Some might argue flashing cards earlier would have helped, but if I'd rather see refs try to keep their cards away, and that game was going to kick off no matter what.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue May 03, 2016 6:38 pm

How bad are these 'experts' at predicting. They have got pretty much everything wrong.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 03, 2016 7:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:What a ding donger. Nine...that's NINE yellow cards for Spurs alone.. :shock: Most fouls since we played the Lancastrian at Little Hulton back in the dark ages. Even a designer handbag battle in the tunnel after the game. Six minutes extra and a good result for Leicester. Well done them. Clatterthebuggers reffing so no surprise it got out of hand.
Thought Clattenburg had a.v.good game to be fair. And has been, along with Michael Oliver, far and away our best referee for months.

Only things they got wrong were not sending off Dembele, and not sending off Dier right at the end when the game was basically over.

Looked a horrible game to referee. Some might argue flashing cards earlier would have helped, but if I'd rather see refs try to keep their cards away, and that game was going to kick off no matter what.
I agree broadly. My only issue is consistency of refereeing. In other games there have been players sent off for far less than went on last night.

I thought Rose, Walker, Dembele, Dier and Mason all couldn't have complained had they been sent off.

Not that it is Clattenburg's fault but if he's going to let all that go and then others send Drinkwater off for two fairly standard fouls then the consistency is a massive issue.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Tue May 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Clatter beryl played the game not the match last night. He didn't want the result to rest on sending off. I empathise, really I do, but in any other match players would have walked. Rose could have got a straight red after 15 minutes. Given that he had earlier kicked a player (but reasonably missed by the ref) Rose was extremely fortunate.

The gouge ... again reasonably missed. Standing on Fabregas' hand ditto ... though how the linesman missed it also I have no idea.

I'm all for robust football .... & despise diving and players circling the ref demanding sending off. I also hate that corners have become, effectively, basketball games as players block & pull each other. But until those things get tackled let's get consistency.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue May 03, 2016 8:37 pm

pah - over-excited fanboys - the lot of you! :zzz:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 04, 2016 9:55 pm

Watched City and Real Madrid. Only ever one team in it. Company injured really early and once Tourre went off Aguero, and the rest looked what they were, a bunch of overpaid second-raters. How much is Sterling on? He was useless and Aguero, one good shot apart spent most of his time in midfield. David Silva was really missed. Usual theatrics from Madrid, Ronaldo ( "oh, he's only 70% fit and might not play") Yeah, right, tht's why he started and played the whole game. Bale's deflected goal was the difference in the score, but the difference in class was miles overbalanced in Madrid's favour. If Marcelo wasn't such a cheat I'd vote him M.O.T.M. City played most of the game like they were two goals up, not one down.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 04, 2016 10:04 pm

What tonight's Man City side lacked, hear me out here, is the spirit that got a previous Man City side through the Gillingham Play Off Final. These 4uckers have never even heard of it. I saw nothing tonight, on either side, other than a bunch of care-free arseholes going through the motions.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Such a shame for Citeh. They have my sympathy, as the club have worked so hard with so little. And the fans deserve it so much.